The Great Gatsby Movie (1 Viewer)

zorro37

Cha-Champs
Reaction score
The trailer for it is out today:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G7DonhNflsw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In my opinion, the Great Gatsby is simply the most perfect piece of literature ever written. When I heard about this movie, I abhorred it. I had visions of Baz Luhrman making a mockery of Fitzgerald's work with everything in over exaggerated 3D. Di Caprio as Gatsby sounded intriguing, but Toby Maguire as Nick sounded terrible. Now I've seen the trailer, I'm more indifferent. It seems like it is pretty true to the novel and could be good. However there is also a decent possibility that it sucks beyond measure, especially judging by how they get across the crazy 1920s parties. :idunno:

Similarly to the Catcher in the Rye, it's not a text suited to a big screen blockbuster, with the plot almost too complex and the writing far too good to get across without the whole film being boringly narrated. I'll almost certainly go see it just out of curiosity. I hope it is good enough to open up a new generation to such a fantastic work, but I hold my doubts.

I believe it was already made into a movie with Redford as Gatsby.

I've seen bits of it, but that was a whole different animal as it stuck to the book totally and as a result was a pretty boring film. There have been a few attempts at adapting it into a film with not much success. However this one is the first time Hollywood has tried to make it into a real blockbuster.

I know I'm in the minority, but I hated that book. I thought it was preachy and predictable. I knew where we were going by the second or third chapter and just kept saying "do it already". Yes, I can figure out to stay away from people like Tom and Daisy. Thank you for the sermon. Shut up now.

The original film had an excellent cast, but the story was still the same. It didn't help my lack of appreciation of the material any. I will be skipping this film, thanks anyway.

I hated the trailer. The visual style didn't seem to fit The Great Gatsby at all. The cast is impressive (although I'm not sold on Toby Maguire as Nick) but the director seems to be putting too much Romeo+Juliet and Moulin Rouge into Gatsby.

I know I'm in the minority, but I hated that book. I thought it was preachy and predictable. I knew where we were going by the second or third chapter and just kept saying "do it already". Yes, I can figure out to stay away from people like Tom and Daisy. Thank you for the sermon. Shut up now.

The original film had an excellent cast, but the story was still the same. It didn't help my lack of appreciation of the material any. I will be skipping this film, thanks anyway.

Agreed

I had my doubts about any Gatsby movie being good. I loved the book, but in today's world where everything tries to be a surprise ending, the story is just not as surprising as it would have been decades ago. With the complexity of the story, I agree that it would be hard to mimic in a normal motion picture. I have to say though, the trailer gives me hope. I think the highly stylized nature will lend a hand to how sensational Gatsby's life had gotten in order to bring about his master plan and will be a great foil to how far he falls. I also think Toby McGuire is a perfect Nick. I am not sure why that doesn't make sense to some.

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ozkOhXmijtk" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

new trailer released today

If there was an award for best trailer, this would be a winner. I've never seen a trailer look this good.

I agree that the book was boring as hell. I hated my English teacher something horrible for making us read it. But I'm a Leonardo DiCaprio fan and a Baz Luhrmann fan, so I'll definitely go see it.

I really should re-read the book. I had to do it for required reading in 10th grade or something like that, and IMO, "required" reading completely defeats the purpose as it takes most of the joy out of reading, and instead forced me to focus on teacher-mandated BS assignments like "look for a word that's new to you and look up its meaning." Jesus, thanks for completely killing it for me.

/rant off

Ooh, by the same people who did Moulin Rouge. That should be a great movie.

/extremesarcasm

this is the very oppoiste of insightful - Baz Luhrmann is one of the more interesting film makers out there b/c aside from being a good storyteller (which all good to better directors need to be) he also uses his complete visual pallette which many directors don't do nearly enough (probably b/c most come from the writing side)
his films are vast extended paintings - often with very gripping music

he is a much more easily digestible Peter Greenaway

I did not enjoy this book when I read it and its still tops my overrated/disliked list. I too figured out what was going on in the book and just wanted it to end. The film with Robert Redford caused me to dislike it even more. Every soft lense shot in that movie drives me bonkers because it was very overused.

I will say this Baz Luhrman version does look appealing but I'll probably wait for blu ray.

Another poster asked if anyone saw Australia? I must say I was not a fan of that flick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom