The Greg McMahon employment discussion thread... [MERGED] (1 Viewer)

I am sorry ... what dominance? ... he doesnt even have his kickoff duties anymore .... we are paying him almost 3.5 million just for punting ....

This kind of thinking is just as bad as those who think STs overall isn't that important.

A punter who can routinely flip field position, especially when you have a defense who routinely gives it up, is extremely valuable.

You really think a punter deserves 3.5 million? ... we are already cap strapped and we are paying this guy that much ... might as well get a UDFA punter coz field position isnt gonna make a big difference anyways .... whether a punter drops the kick inside the 10 yd line, our defense is bound to give up a 90+ yd TD drive ....

So, because our defense is hot garbage, we shouldn't pay one of the top punters in the league like a top punter in the league? We actually have a good player worth 3.5 million and you want to take him away and use that 3.5 million on another Jairus Byrd or Dannelle Ellerbe?

I know we have injuries and this team is trying to find itself but special teams has cost this team or played a very significant role in contributing to the loss(es) in two of the three games. I'm sorry but our ST coach should be fired.

who is he gonna fire ... joe vitt, bill johnson, greg mcmahon and dennis allen are all his guys that he wont let go off irrespective of the result on the field ... thats why these previous few years, the DCs have been scapegoated out of Nola .... the only people I see getting fired right now are the health and conditioning staff members ... just to show people how much they are trying ...

"Just punting"

I mean, the sheer disrespect. And it's a totally thankless job. If you do it well, meh.

I wonder if people realize that when a punter kicks the ball and it hits at the 2 yard line and bounces backwards, that's not some accident. That it takes skill and technique to pin a team deep and Morestead does it routinely.

He didn't learn how to do that spontaneously either. But I think McMahon has to go for the simple principle of what I'm seeing more than him actually truly being the problem itself.

But then, even if he goes, people will just move on to the next problem, find someone to blame, and call for that guy's head.

Already got a thread with people who legit think our injuries are the fault of conditioning or something our staff isn't doing correctly. I guess people really do need a boogeyman...

So, because our defense is hot garbage, we shouldn't pay one of the top punters in the league like a top punter in the league? We actually have a good player worth 3.5 million and you want to take him away and use that 3.5 million on another Jairus Byrd or Dannelle Ellerbe?

its a cumulative effort .... when you get rid of the dead money from galette, byrd, browner, spiller, evans etc, thats when you are able to sign someone like a Von Miller .... our dead money is the reason why we signed the rejects from other teams like Paul Kruger, James Laurinitis etc .... so far, the Nick Fairly signing and the craig robinson signings are the only two that seem to make sense .... seriously what is Kruger there for? .... why did we sign him?

The funny thing is we changed the defensive coordinator, and we still had the worst defense in the NFL.

One has nothing to do with the other.

But if you want to get technical, we were 4th in the league the year after Spags left.

The only full season since he's been back as a DC, he was 32nd, again dead last (2015). They spent 200 million on their defense this offseason so he may do better this year.

seriously what is Kruger there for? .... why did we sign him?

Because we had an injury and needed depth. He's signed for cheap. I'm not sure why that's even a question.

And if out of our bargain basement signings, we end up with two really good players out of four, that's damn good considering.

Sure if your defense is worth a damn, paying a punter is justifiable. Our defense is obv terrible and probably last at # of forced punts, so yea i wouldn't have a problem with freeing up some of our punter's money. It feels like a special occasion when we force a punt. Don't need to pay 3mil for that

Because we had an injury and needed depth. He's signed for cheap. I'm not sure why that's even a question.

And if out of our bargain basement signings, we end up with two really good players out of four, that's damn good considering.

He signed a 1 yr 3 million contract ... similar to that for Fairley which will carry some dead money into next two seasons .... thats not cheap for someone like him .... Chris Long Signed a 1 yr 2 million contract with the Patriots and he is doing pretty good up in New England .... Even he was a Rams reject ...

He signed a 1 yr 3 million contract ... similar to that for Fairley which will carry some dead money into next two seasons .... thats not cheap for someone like him .... Chris Long Signed a 1 yr 2 million contract with the Patriots and he is doing pretty good up in New England .... Even he was a Rams reject ...

Those are all cheap deals for defensive linemen.

Why fire Joe Vitt they just need to bring in a dedicated LBer position coach and let Joe focus on the many things he does well.

I really dont see much reason to be frugal with coaches. Unless I am mistaken its not like they have a salary cap for coaches. Maybe they dont have enough chairs or desks or offices.

what exactly is vitt good at? serious question. i can't think of any LB he's developed. and we've got to be the worst tackling defense in the league over the last decade.

Those are all cheap deals for defensive linemen.

How is it cheap when we got Kevin Williams for a Veteran minimum contract last season? .... I mean sure he was 35 years old and at the the extreme end of his career but he did a great job .... I would have loved to re-sign him and let John Jenkins go .... and its not like there were other teams behind Kruger ....

How is it cheap when we got Kevin Williams for a Veteran minimum contract last season? .... I mean sure he was 35 years old and at the the extreme end of his career but he did a great job .... I would have loved to re-sign him and let John Jenkins go .... and its not like there were other teams behind Kruger ....

You answered your own question.

If Rob Ryan had to go because of our poor defense, which by the way is still poor under Allen. Then how in the world do justify keeping Greg McMahon? Our special teams is as bad as our defense. I just don't get it.

McMahon -- too many years of poor play. That collision on a punt on Sunday was the worst I ever seen. I thought the defense and offense played well, given their handicaps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom