The Greg McMahon employment discussion thread... [MERGED] (1 Viewer)

Courtney

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I know we have injuries and this team is trying to find itself but special teams has cost this team or played a very significant role in contributing to the loss(es) in two of the three games. I'm sorry but our ST coach should be fired.

You will see Gozer the Gozerian in the form of Hubig's Simon the Pieman rampage through the CBD before you see Payton fire his special teams coach.

Because rob Ryan wasn't one of Payton's click.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He fired Spags because Spags turned on his fellow coaches. Coaches who are in Sean's click.

You will see Gozer the Gozerian in the form of Hubig's Simon the Pieman rampage through the CBD before you see Payton fire his special teams coach.

LULZ

not sure how you have almost a decade of sub par special teams and still have a job....McMahon should write that book when he retires if he's still able to write.

it only applies to fieldgoal kickers and scapegoat defensive coordinators

I have a feeling that I should be proud of myself for notunderstanding on single word of that (except CBD).

mbg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3Ctgn7kKYHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How does Joe Vitt still have job?

Joe Vitt has never not had a job. for over three decades, he has been an NFL coach, for the likes of Dick Vermeil, Chuck Knox, and of course Sean Payton.

I know we are supposed to hate him and blame him for the team's defensive ills, but he is apparently a quality enough coach that no head coach has ever seen fit to fire him.

Why fire Joe Vitt they just need to bring in a dedicated LBer position coach and let Joe focus on the many things he does well.

I really dont see much reason to be frugal with coaches. Unless I am mistaken its not like they have a salary cap for coaches. Maybe they dont have enough chairs or desks or offices.

For the ones that really need to go he seems to have a no fire rule regardless of the time of year.

Sorry in advance for the long post

We keep feeding the D line coach players and nothing seems to happen. We cannot get a decent 4 man rush regardless of the player we try. I don't care if they record a sack all game with a four man rush, but some kind of pressure to help the LB/DB players is a must.

We have now tried way too many defensive coordinators for it to be a scheme issue, or a player issue. Any excuse you can think of for this guy just does not pass the BS test at this point.

Special teams coach is the other I cannot understand. We have a top tier punter yet I worry every time that the return man does not call for a fair catch. Same with kickoffs, Payton said in the pre season that we feel we are one of those teams that would rather kick shallow and try and get a stop before the 25 then to go for a touchback. I cannot say I feel like we are one of those teams while keeping a straight face. I looked for stats on how many yards we allow per non touchback kickoff but did not find anything. I did find stats on our average kickoff return, 17.5 yard average on 6 attempts, long of 42. That stat is not all that telling however since it does not list the depth of the kickoff. A 17.5 yard average is a win if the kick only goes to the 10 yard line, not so much if its kicked 3 yards into the end zone.

Vitt I see as more of a mixed bag. No doubt more bad then good but I think he gets a longer rope due to his assistant head coach position. Personally I think that regardless of his other non LB duties he has performed rather poorly as a position coach. Most if not all of the quality LBs on this team now and in the past were FA signings, and he has done an overall average job with those guys. I don't think that he has made any of them much better, but they don't play worse unlike the DL guys we have picked up in free agency. As far as developing drafted players he fails horribly. Even if you throw poor drafting into the mix I find it unlikely that in 10 years we have not had a single LB that another coach could not have made an at least average player out of. Yes we have a few young guys that the jury is still out on, but even a home run on these guys does not make up for 10 years of horrible player development.

The only slack I will give to Vitt is how well can you judge the LBs when your front four is well below par. I don't know the answer to that, maybe someone with more football background could chime in.

What really gets to me is that the media seems to just give the team a pass by not putting the questions we have all been asking for years directly to the head coach or GM. We as fans do not get the access to ask these questions, that is their job. That is why they get the type of special access that they do. Is it a question anyone really wants to ask Payton, knowing the ire it will draw? Of course not, but sometimes doing your job well is not easy. I'm not saying that every question out of their mouth should be one that ****** the coach off, but they seem to throw 99% softballs when asking their questions.

Maybe it has been asked before, and if so I retract what I just said regarding the media folks. If it has can someone post a link, I would like to read. We as fans don't deserve to know everything that goes on behind the scenes, its not fair to the coaches or the players. That being said after 10 years with these guys I don't think its out of line to get a few words from management.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom