The Hard Truth About Drew (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it's necessarily being upset with criticism of Drew as much as it is exasperation with the criticisms being inaccurate and often unfounded.

For example, the interception on the attempt to Tre'Quan Smith was a poor decision and an even worse throw. Brees shouldn't have thrown if for those two reasons, plus the fact that he had a different target that was by NFL standards wide open that he missed. Payton grabbed him on the sideline and gave him a bit of an earful over it, with reason. That would be a pretty clear thing to criticize him over.

But what it usually ends up being is some uneducated screed that purports to be a clear sign the the cracks in the foundation of his game are showing and proof that the end of his elite playing status is here. And games like yesterday show that his arm is just fine, and he's still one of the better quarterbacks in the league.

His career is going to end much sooner than we as a fanbase will be ready for. And he's metaphorically in the old folks' home part of his football life, but this constant rush to be the first one to throw dirt on his grave instead of visiting him and checking his chart is a real drain on those of us who really just want to enjoy the show while it's still on.
What a great post. This, over and over and over again.

I don't know if it's necessarily being upset with criticism of Drew as much as it is exasperation with the criticisms being inaccurate and often unfounded.

For example, the interception on the attempt to Tre'Quan Smith was a poor decision and an even worse throw. Brees shouldn't have thrown if for those two reasons, plus the fact that he had a different target that was by NFL standards wide open that he missed. Payton grabbed him on the sideline and gave him a bit of an earful over it, with reason. That would be a pretty clear thing to criticize him over.

But what it usually ends up being is some uneducated screed that purports to be a clear sign the the cracks in the foundation of his game are showing and proof that the end of his elite playing status is here. And games like yesterday show that his arm is just fine, and he's still one of the better quarterbacks in the league.

His career is going to end much sooner than we as a fanbase will be ready for. And he's metaphorically in the old folks' home part of his football life, but this constant rush to be the first one to throw dirt on his grave instead of visiting him and checking his chart is a real drain on those of us who really just want to enjoy the show while it's still on.
I feel ya. That's why I was perturbed by those knocking Teddy. Why can't we as a fan base just enjoy what we have this season, whomever is QBing the team? I really want Drew to light the Falcons up on Thursday. It doesn't have to be 60 yard bombs (although that would be nice), but I want him to show that two weeks ago was a fluke.

I feel ya. That's why I was perturbed by those knocking Teddy. Why can't we as a fan base just enjoy what we have this season, whomever is QBing the team? I really want Drew to light the Falcons up on Thursday. It doesn't have to be 60 yard bombs (although that would be nice), but I want him to show that two weeks ago was a fluke.

^ Perfect

On the other hand someone who does look done and inching closer to getting his "plug pulled" might be the guy chasing after Drew's record. I will say he's been playing in some bad weather the last few weeks but Tom Brady is definitely closer to being done than Brees is.

On the other hand someone who does look done and inching closer to getting his "plug pulled" might be the guy chasing after Drew's record. I will say he's been playing in some bad weather the last few weeks but Tom Brady is definitely closer to being done than Brees is.
Wasn't he like 4 of 17 at one point last night. As much as I hate to even think this, the Girls got jobbed in that game, the whole tripping penalty. It's sad. Brady did look like hot (frozen) trash though.

he NEVER was a deep ball thrower. NEVER. Ted G is fast and if drew waits a split sec too long he can't get it there. He never could. When he does get to Ted G early he puts in on the money and Ted drops it.

Above is one of the best posts on this board I've ever read....well said Crosswatt!!!

He definitely threw it farther today than I thought he could based on last week. I'm really glad to see him make the attempts. They were not all accurate, but the premise that he physically can't throw it down the field is effectively disproven.

not sure anyone said Drew can't throw far, the criticism is that he can't throw it far with any kind of accuracy. and there's more evidence to support that idea than disprove it

not sure anyone said Drew can't throw far, the criticism is that he can't throw it far with any kind of accuracy. and there's more evidence to support that idea than disprove it

Which throw didn’t disprove it? The deep ball to Cook that he slowed down on and hit his fingertips? Or the deep ball to Ginn in the end zone that was right on the money?

While defensiveness is rampant and out of control on this thread, I can understand that, but I think some of you should take it easy with the personal insults...

I for one and not rooting for Drew's demise or besmirching his career, quite the contrary, I've said repeatedly he's a Top 5 all-time QB who does not get his due, and is a superior QB to Aaron Rodgers and has had a better career, despite media narrative. The reason all this criticism and putting Brees under the microscope is relevant is because his contract is up, he's 41 years old, his statistical performance experienced a shift towards late last season, and they have a ready-to-go new franchise QB in Teddy Bridgewater who is currently in a Saints uniform, also about to be a free agent, and did I mention he's about to turn 41? If Drew wants to play another season, the Saints are going to have a very difficult decision to make on the future of the franchise.

And if you want to compare how teams handle this sort of business just ask the 49ers with Montana, Packers with Favre, Colts with Peyton, Broncos with Peyton, Chiefs with Alex, Ravens with Flacco, Giants with Eli, etc. No one is safe and no one is immune because all of these men were integral and beloved by the fanbases and mgmt. My point has always been, to enjoy this season with Drew Brees and to not take Drew's presence beyond this season for granted. And it also does not mean they're out for the SB. They can still win and I hope they do. It's not bashing him, it's just being a realist.

While defensiveness is rampant and out of control on this thread...

It’s not getting defensive. It’s pointing out what appear to be inaccuracies.

The deep ball to Ginn vs Carolina was on the money. The one that looked way off, on review, was likely a sight adjustment that Ginn wasn’t on the same page with.

Tonight, he hit Cook in the fingertips on a ball that looked like Cook slowed down on. He hit Ginn in the hands on a deep ball in the end zone.

Nothing wrong with Drew. Cook hurt us on a would be TD and a possible big play to put us near the goal line. Ginn dropped another TD this game. Even Kamara dropped a ball or two. Brees is not the problem. Receivers and TEs need to get their **** together.

While defensiveness is rampant and out of control on this thread, I can understand that, but I think some of you should take it easy with the personal insults...

I for one and not rooting for Drew's demise or besmirching his career, quite the contrary, I've said repeatedly he's a Top 5 all-time QB who does not get his due, and is a superior QB to Aaron Rodgers and has had a better career, despite media narrative. The reason all this criticism and putting Brees under the microscope is relevant is because his contract is up, he's 41 years old, his statistical performance experienced a shift towards late last season, and they have a ready-to-go new franchise QB in Teddy Bridgewater who is currently in a Saints uniform, also about to be a free agent, and did I mention he's about to turn 41? If Drew wants to play another season, the Saints are going to have a very difficult decision to make on the future of the franchise.

And if you want to compare how teams handle this sort of business just ask the 49ers with Montana, Packers with Favre, Colts with Peyton, Broncos with Peyton, Chiefs with Alex, Ravens with Flacco, Giants with Eli, etc. No one is safe and no one is immune because all of these men were integral and beloved by the fanbases and mgmt. My point has always been, to enjoy this season with Drew Brees and to not take Drew's presence beyond this season for granted. And it also does not mean they're out for the SB. They can still win and I hope they do. It's not bashing him, it's just being a realist.

You are asking the hard questions that have to be asked. I agree with you on most points. I love Drew and everything he has done for Who Dat Nation. He's the GOAT. But the Saints have to do what's best for the Saints, and that aint gonna be Drew forever. We HAVE to get this free agency situation right. Have to. The future of the next 10 years or more of the franchise is at stake. And I think that means Teddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom