The Hard Truth About Drew (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While defensiveness is rampant and out of control on this thread, I can understand that, but I think some of you should take it easy with the personal insults...

I for one and not rooting for Drew's demise or besmirching his career, quite the contrary, I've said repeatedly he's a Top 5 all-time QB who does not get his due, and is a superior QB to Aaron Rodgers and has had a better career, despite media narrative. The reason all this criticism and putting Brees under the microscope is relevant is because his contract is up, he's 41 years old, his statistical performance experienced a shift towards late last season, and they have a ready-to-go new franchise QB in Teddy Bridgewater who is currently in a Saints uniform, also about to be a free agent, and did I mention he's about to turn 41? If Drew wants to play another season, the Saints are going to have a very difficult decision to make on the future of the franchise.

And if you want to compare how teams handle this sort of business just ask the 49ers with Montana, Packers with Favre, Colts with Peyton, Broncos with Peyton, Chiefs with Alex, Ravens with Flacco, Giants with Eli, etc. No one is safe and no one is immune because all of these men were integral and beloved by the fanbases and mgmt. My point has always been, to enjoy this season with Drew Brees and to not take Drew's presence beyond this season for granted. And it also does not mean they're out for the SB. They can still win and I hope they do. It's not bashing him, it's just being a realist.
Wow. Putting Flacco and Alex Smith in the sane conversation as Manning Farve or Montana. Thats impressive.

Some of you guys need to learn to apperciate greatness. No one is saying Drew is going to be QB forever. No one is saying Drew at 40 is not the same as Drew at 30.

But the OP said that Drew could not make certain throws and that has been proven wrong theae last few games. It was never the hard truth about Brees.

The real Hard Truth about Brees is that he is still a very good Qb and gives us the best chance to win another super bowl this year.

Also the hard Truth about those other guys you mentioned. None of them have meant more to their teams, fans, or city / region than Brees has.

These statements are not being defensive. They are just simply The real truth.

My point has always been, to enjoy this season with Drew Brees and to not take Drew's presence beyond this season for granted.
If you could do a little better job of following your own advice, that would be just awesome.

For those of us who are actually trying "to enjoy this season with Drew Brees", posters like you who continue to vocalize what you think he can't do anymore or what will happen in the offseason with free agency are ruining another fine season that was threatened to be derailed in the 2nd game.

Could y'all self-proclaimed "realists" just shut the fork up and enjoy this ride?

Yeah, I just don't see it the way others do. I see a patch work line and a couple WRs, TEs and runningbacks not catching passes that used to be a staple of our offenses. We used to as a receiving group catch everything, now it's balls hitting guys in the hands and blaming Drew for it.

Sure he isn't the same Drew as a few years ago, but the guy has a surgically repaired hand, give the GOAT a break.

While #9 is getting older...
His teammates did very little to help him.

Thomas dropped a first down catch... Punt
Ginn dropped a TD... FG
Cook dropped a TD...FG
Cook dropped a first down catch inside the 10...
Kamara dropped a first down catch...

Our Defense bailed our Offense out last night.

Yeah, I just don't see it the way others do. I see a patch work line and a couple WRs, TEs and runningbacks not catching passes that used to be a staple of our offenses. We used to as a receiving group catch everything, now it's balls hitting guys in the hands and blaming Drew for it.

Sure he isn't the same Drew as a few years ago, but the guy has a surgically repaired hand, give the GOAT a break.
On point. And might I add in, the Saints DO NOT HAVE THE OVER THE TOP WR, that used to be a big part of the offensive scheme, when the Saints have the ball on the plus side of the 50. And Drew use to love that throw; 40-45 yarder into the endzone. No WR on the team can be counted on for that play anymore. NO ONE!

Also the hard Truth about those other guys you mentioned. None of them have meant more to their teams, fans, or city / region than Brees has.
Ask that to Packer fans about Favre and Colts fans about Peyton. they said the same thing as you're saying, and it didn't make a difference. And they could easily argue their men meant more than Brees to the Saints. You can hope they take a different path of course, but don't wear blinders to how the NFL business works. No player is immune from this.

The last two weeks, Drew has thrown some long balls right on the money that receivers have dropped.

That's NOT on Drew.

He probably can't throw six or eight long balls a game, and maybe only 30-35 yards instead of 50 in air, but he can still pinpoint it downfield in the secondary enough to keep a team honest.

Let's pick this up after the season.

Ask that to Packer fans about Favre and Colts fans about Peyton. they said the same thing as you're saying, and it didn't make a difference. And they could easily argue their men meant more than Brees to the Saints. You can hope they take a different path of course, but don't wear blinders to how the NFL business works. No player is immune from this.
You either didn't watch the game or you're out to troll, or both. And your purported "hard truth" statements don't validate incorrect, speculative jibberish. Yet you keep trying.

None of them helped rebuild a city and possibly saved their team from moving away.

I think we should merge the thread name above this with this one and call it:

"The Fake Hard Truth about Drew"

I mean, did I dream what I saw last night? Some near perfect deep balls that were dropped? Maybe I'm hallucinating or something....

Teddy could chuck it 35+ yards down the field to Ginn if it was there. He is famously known for being cautious, you are right. But I legit don't think Drew could throw 35 yards today if it was in warmups.
Don't believe the 35 yards quote.

There is no doubt the longer balls are more difficult for Brees now. It's kinda been that way (a slow decline) over the past two seasons.....this is before the thumb injury. Now, back from injury, the Saints are simply not taking shots downfield. Some of it is by design, because the line hasn't given adequate protection....but some of it is Brees ability to effectively make the harder, longer throws (IMO). You are caught between a rock and a hard place. If you let Brees walk, you are giving up one of the smartest most efficient passers in the history of the league. If you stay pat, defenses will start to sit on the quick routes and make it harder to complete the 5-10 yard passes.

THIS YEAR, give me Brees all the way. His experience, intangibles, accuracy, leadership, etc. will be much more of a plus than a minus. The only thing I would change is Payton's reliance on Brees' arm. We seem to abandon the run game when #9 is under center. Murray has not been a big factor since Brees returned. I think it changes the way Payton calls a game.

May I ask a question: With the current Saints roster, which free agent or actually draft-able QB gives the Saints the best shot at winning the Super Bowl after the 2020 NFL season?

The correct answer will tell you all you need to know about any supposed hard truths.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom