The health of our starting Offensive Line is the key to to the season (1 Viewer)

BCK30

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Our starting O Line of Armstead, Peat, McCoy, Warford and Ramczyk has the ability to be dominant. But after watching the game yesterday against the Jets I am very concerned about the depth of this unit beyond those five. In particular, Armstead is the most important that needs to stay healthy. I don't think there is a backup tackle that can step in if Terron gets injured. They'll likely swing Peat out there which then puts the Guard position at a weakness. I'm not feeling Easton at all and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets cut at the end of Preseason. Thank God they drafted McCoy. He'll make a few mistakes here and there but he's obviously the best option there with maybe Cameron Tom as a backup. It's no coincidence that when Bridgewater got out there and Payton yanked guys like Armstead out, he had no time to throw. Ola was getting beat like a drum. Running lanes were getting less open. Bottom line, with the weapons he have on Offense as long as the Line stays healthy I see another opportunity at playing for a Super Bowl.

The hopeful health of the OL is indeed a key to a successful season. Our starting five is a good as any unit in the NFL, but we also have a history of being fragile, particularly Armstead. I do like the depth in the interior and having watched Easton I believe he will be a quality backup at OC and OG if needed. Now the backup situation at tackle is to me a huge concern as literally nobody has stepped up and I am not sure the LT replacement is on the roster, thus I will not be surprised if we pick up a starting quality veteran, like we did with Bushrod in seasons past, to add to the needed OT depth.

Our starting O Line of Armstead, Peat, McCoy, Warford and Ramczyk has the ability to be dominant. But after watching the game yesterday against the Jets I am very concerned about the depth of this unit beyond those five. In particular, Armstead is the most important that needs to stay healthy. I don't think there is a backup tackle that can step in if Terron gets injured. They'll likely swing Peat out there which then puts the Guard position at a weakness. I'm not feeling Easton at all and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets cut at the end of Preseason. Thank God they drafted McCoy. He'll make a few mistakes here and there but he's obviously the best option there with maybe Cameron Tom as a backup. It's no coincidence that when Bridgewater got out there and Payton yanked guys like Armstead out, he had no time to throw. Ola was getting beat like a drum. Running lanes were getting less open. Bottom line, with the weapons he have on Offense as long as the Line stays healthy I see another opportunity at playing for a Super Bowl.
True dat.

We have a great starting 5 at OL, how many teams can say that? With a hard cap, every team has holes on the starting unit, much less the backups. It's up to the coaches to gameplan around the holes and/or coach up the weaker players. The idea that we can be deep at every position and backup position is naive.

Also, we're watching backups play with other backups. That won't be the case in the regular season not to mention these "backups" will be practicing with the 1's and have time to acclimate to their role. Just my .02 of course.

Peat is the backup LT. Easton, Ola, and Clapp even can play guard for them. im also sure they will be checking the waiver wire for some veteran tackles next week

The thing we probably see a lot less is playing starters like Armstead and Peat when up 21+ points in meaningless blowouts.

Crazy thing... It's not like we run our lineman into the ground. Unger was our snap count leader at 1000. Warford and Ram in the 990-980. Peat in the 770s. Armstead in the 530s

Our top lineman barely even cracked the top 50 in most snaps. So, what else can you do?

Btw the snap count leader for lineman is 1106.

Health...and/or quality of play...in the trenches is the key to every season as far having a playoff run or winning a championship...

My thought exactly sir. The O line is the straw that stirs the drink imo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom