The health of our starting Offensive Line is the key to to the season (1 Viewer)

Our starting O Line of Armstead, Peat, McCoy, Warford and Ramczyk has the ability to be dominant. But after watching the game yesterday against the Jets I am very concerned about the depth of this unit beyond those five. In particular, Armstead is the most important that needs to stay healthy. I don't think there is a backup tackle that can step in if Terron gets injured. They'll likely swing Peat out there which then puts the Guard position at a weakness. I'm not feeling Easton at all and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets cut at the end of Preseason. Thank God they drafted McCoy. He'll make a few mistakes here and there but he's obviously the best option there with maybe Cameron Tom as a backup. It's no coincidence that when Bridgewater got out there and Payton yanked guys like Armstead out, he had no time to throw. Ola was getting beat like a drum. Running lanes were getting less open. Bottom line, with the weapons he have on Offense as long as the Line stays healthy I see another opportunity at playing for a Super Bowl.
Ola has had 2 years to demonstrate his ability and he is just R tackle material. I like Peet as backup L tackle with our depth at guard.

I believe had Armstead been healthy all of last season Drew would have had his second Chip.

It would have helped for sure as he’s a force...but we would have our second chip even without him had the refs made the call. IMO.

A testament to just how great we were last year....to be that banged on the O line late in the season and STILL win the NFC. (Which we did I don’t care what the score says)

Our starting O Line of Armstead, Peat, McCoy, Warford and Ramczyk has the ability to be dominant. But after watching the game yesterday against the Jets I am very concerned about the depth of this unit beyond those five. In particular, Armstead is the most important that needs to stay healthy. I don't think there is a backup tackle that can step in if Terron gets injured. They'll likely swing Peat out there which then puts the Guard position at a weakness. I'm not feeling Easton at all and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets cut at the end of Preseason. Thank God they drafted McCoy. He'll make a few mistakes here and there but he's obviously the best option there with maybe Cameron Tom as a backup. It's no coincidence that when Bridgewater got out there and Payton yanked guys like Armstead out, he had no time to throw. Ola was getting beat like a drum. Running lanes were getting less open. Bottom line, with the weapons he have on Offense as long as the Line stays healthy I see another opportunity at playing for a Super Bowl.

If there was ever a season for Terron Armstead to stay healthy all the way through, this is it b

Peat is the swing tackle for both Armstead and Ram and with Easton, Tom and Clapp as OG depth we are short one actual backup LT that is probably not on the roster because with the injuries this position (Tackle) is probably being scouted for in anticipation of the 53 man cut down date and opening day roster.

Post that original post any year for the next ten or the last ten seasons and it will be pretty accurate

I wish they would have worked Ramczyk at left tackle some during preseason. He has to be a better option if Armstead gets injured than anything else they have tried. Armstead has to stay healthy, or a lot of hopes & dreams for this season could be shattered.

I wish they would have worked Ramczyk at left tackle some during preseason. He has to be a better option if Armstead gets injured than anything else they have tried. Armstead has to stay healthy, or a lot of hopes & dreams for this season could be shattered.

We already know what Ramczyk can do at LT though. He's clearly our second best LT. If Armstead goes down, which he likely will do given his history, you either switch Ramczyk to LT and put whoever our backup tackle will be at RT, kick out Peat to LT and put in Easton at LG, or else put in the backup tackle to LT.

I think if we need to switch in game, it'll be Peat kick out. If there's a week to prepare, it might be Ramczyk. Generally you want to find the solution with the least disruption which puts the next best five OL on the field. The approach therefore is somewhat dependent on who the backup tackle will be and also dependent on who we'd be playing and where they're strongest at DL.

The thing we probably see a lot less is playing starters like Armstead and Peat when up 21+ points in meaningless blowouts.

Crazy thing... It's not like we run our lineman into the ground. Unger was our snap count leader at 1000. Warford and Ram in the 990-980. Peat in the 770s. Armstead in the 530s

Our top lineman barely even cracked the top 50 in most snaps. So, what else can you do?

Btw the snap count leader for lineman is 1106.
Payton is not good at substituting players at a reasonable time.

In the Bill's game last year the starters should have been pulled way earlier than 5 min left in the 4th.

The starters should have not played at all in the panthers game at the end of the year.

Peat should not have been playing with a broken hand in the playoffs but even if they had depth behind him I doubt he would've sat.

Its annoying because it seems like common sense to give starters breaks during the season

I don't know. Players that need it get lighter work in practice during the week. A game is different. If we're up by 4 scores in the middle 4th and Brees is coming out, then fine. Otherwise, everything is geared up to get these guys to perform for c.60 snaps on game day and, unlike college, there just aren't that many moments in an NFL game where you can chillax nor do you have a lot of guys backing up or in that position of being groomed for the future.

So, theoretically yes, but pragmatically not that sensible.

I haven't seen much negative about Newhouse. Figured that's not a bad thing. Haven't really watched for him or broke it down though.

I noticed they had him at Gaurd on the game rosters. Doesn't mean much. But, if I remember correctly, they did the same with Bushrod last year. I'm guessing that was to test Bushrod's flexibility since they were happy with him at tackle and to give the younger guys more work. Hopefully, that's the case with Newhouse.

Last edited:
It would have helped for sure as he’s a force...but we would have our second chip even without him had the refs made the call. IMO.

A testament to just how great we were last year....to be that banged on the O line late in the season and STILL win the NFC. (Which we did I don’t care what the score says)

He played in the NFC championship game so I'm not sure what you mean? He was probably at about 80% which is better than most LT's out there...

Yes it is the key to our season. I like Tom and Clapp I think they could have long careers in the NFL but if we see too much of either one of them (or Easton or Ola or Newhouse) than we won't contend...IMO....

He played in the NFC championship game so I'm not sure what you mean? He was probably at about 80% which is better than most LT's out there...

Yes it is the key to our season. I like Tom and Clapp I think they could have long careers in the NFL but if we see too much of either one of them (or Easton or Ola or Newhouse) than we won't contend...IMO....

My apologies. I meant that he was playing hurt, as were Peat and I believe Unger as well. Also I was referring to all the time he missed.

I definitely didn’t make my point clearly. A habit of mine I think lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom