The ******* Idiocy of Congress (9/11 bill override discussion) (1 Viewer)

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
Seriously, how is it that these ******* idiots re-elected every single time (oh wait... our fault). So you vote for a bill that you acknowledge have issues. Then you vote again to override the president's veto, but then blame him for not working with you?

Washington (CNN)Top congressional leaders from each party expressed buyer's remorse Thursday about a controversial new law that was enacted over President Barack Obama's objections that allows 9/11 families to sue Saudi Arabia.

Just one day after these lawmakers led the first override of a veto during Obama's presidency they publicly called for making changes to the law. But even as they admitted they agreed with some of the White House's concerns, GOP leaders quickly blamed the President for "dropping the ball" for failing to engage with Congress on the legislation before it passed.

The White House didn't hold back in its criticism after both the House and Senate voted decisively on Wednesday to overturn Obama's veto of the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act, also referred to as JASTA. The President called the vote Wednesday "political" and his spokesman ripped the move as the "single most embarrassing thing" Congress has done in decades.

Echoing concerns raised by the White House that the measure could open the US to similar lawsuits from people in other countries, House Speaker Paul Ryan said the law needs to be changed to ensure that US troops are protected.
Congress suddenly has buyer's remorse for overriding Obama's veto - CNNPolitics.com

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
While I admire the thoughts and concerns behind it, this has to be the single most short sighted stupidest thing that congress has done in a long time. Sure it allows the people to sue SA, but think of the hundreds of thousands of people the US has injured over the last however many years. The old line about glass houses comes to mind. Seriously stupid on congresses part, then the audacity to blame it on Obama who has been very clear on these exact points all along. Idiots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
While I admire the thoughts and concerns behind it, this has to be the single most short sighted stupidest thing that congress has done in a long time. Sure it allows the people to sue SA, but think of the hundreds of thousands of people the US has injured over the last however many years. The old line about glass houses comes to mind. Seriously stupid on congresses part, then the audacity to blame it on Obama who has been very clear on these exact points all along. Idiots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What I don't understand is how the veto was overridden by the Senate 97-1. Really? House was pretty lopsided as well, 348-77. I've never seen a veto override that one-sided.

I'm not quite sure what to think. I actually tend to agree with Obama's concern that the precedent we're setting could come back and bite us in the butt later.

There were some arguments that wouldn't be the case, but I don't really know what to believe. If we're opening up a can of worms we don't want opened, this need to be reconsidered.

I genuinely feel the same sympathy for the families of 9-11, but I'm not sure what they're doing is going open us up to being sued by other countries for far more. I think our county needs to take care of our 9-11 family victims and we'll deal with other countries through other channels.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Right before elections no one wants to have an ad running saying "Guess who hates 911 families?" It's ******** because of the timing of when it all went through.

Obama is right that it just opens up the idea that the US thinks it's ok to sue and it's hard to justify internationally now stiffing drone victim families suing the US. Honestly, though, I'm not so sure that may not wind up being a good thing, even though the Republicans would hate the **** out of it. Having the USA's feet held to the fire a bit when they kill civilians and having open hearings and public pressure and review of just how often we do these things might not be so bad. That's pretty much the exact opposite of what the overriders were thinking about though. They're just too dumb or too in the moment of need to look good for an election to think about that part.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What I don't understand is how the veto was overridden by the Senate 97-1. Really? House was pretty lopsided as well, 348-77. I've never seen a veto override that one-sided.

I'm not quite sure what to think. I actually tend to agree with Obama's concern that the precedent we're setting could come back and bite us in the butt later.

There were some arguments that wouldn't be the case, but I don't really know what to believe. If we're opening up a can of worms we don't want opened, this need to be reconsidered.

I genuinely feel the same sympathy for the families of 9-11, but I'm not sure what they're doing is going open us up to being sued by other countries for far more. I think our county needs to take care of our 9-11 family victims and we'll deal with other countries through other channels.
I think we have taken care of our 911 families. I think we continue to as we should and I think this whole situation illustrates three facts:

congress is inept and so tied to optics and politics that they'd do anything to look like they're doing what they should be while not actually doing it.

Republicans will do anything that they think makes them look like they oppose Obama.

Obama is the only adult left in Washington.

Reaction score
If this does backfire as many think it will, I won't be upset that the US is held responsible for it's actions overseas. An extra layer of consideration for life before we start a war or bomb a target, isn't a bad thing imho.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Democrats are trying to win seats in the Senate or keep what they have. If they voted against it, they'd be painted as anti 9/11 families, because the public as a whole has seemingly little concept of consequences. And since it's Saudi Arabia, they really don't care about 'those people'.

Also, it's probably a political pot shot at the Saudi's for not being tough on terror and possibly being passive state sponsers.

Last edited:

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Obama is the only adult left in Washington.
Yep.

You gotta love Mitch McConnell for the unintentional comedy:

“I think it was just a ball dropped,” McConnell added. “I wish the president — I hate to blame everything on him, and I don’t — but it would have been helpful had he, uh, we had a discussion about this much earlier than last week.”
Congress Now Blaming Obama For Its Embarrassing Override Of His Veto | Huffington Post

In other words, after almost eight years of our doing everything we can to make you look bad you didn't try hard enough with us to stop us from looking like idiots when we tried to do something to make you look bad, so it's your fault.

This is the reasoning of a four-year-old, who has a vague sense of right and wrong and is trying to reconcile it with an I-am-the-center-of-the-universe worldview, while not being able to put together a coherent sentence not involving juice.

BTW, you wanna talk about ******* justice, these are the same guys we had to shame into spending an extra few bucks on terminally ill first responders and pile workers at Ground Zero. They should all just die in a ******* fire.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Suavecito8

Hispanic causing panic
Reaction score
If this does backfire as many think it will, I won't be upset that the US is held responsible for it's actions overseas. An extra layer of consideration for life before we start a war or bomb a target, isn't a bad thing imho.
This is only thing I agree with as far as this bill goes. But who are we kidding? This won't stop them.

Soundwave

Terribly Vexed
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
When was the last time the Senate voted 97-1 on anything?

I've been waiting what seems like forever for both sides to agree on something and this is what we get?

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
When was the last time the Senate voted 97-1 on anything?

I've been waiting what seems like forever for both sides to agree on something and this is what we get?
Without looking it up, should I assume the sole "nay" vote was Bernie?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
How Sean Payton's career was shaped by mentors Jon Gruden, Bill Parcells Saints RSS News Feeds 0