The Impact Of A (Potentially) Canceled Season And Roger Goodell (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think this merits its own thread. Is Goodell pushing for the season because his job is in jeopardy if the season is canceled?
The NFL had seasons in WW1 and WW2, although some teams were merged during that time.
If the season is canceled that’ll be a first for the NFL. And under Goodell.

As much as I won't mind, he can't be blamed for any cancellation. I'm curious about the lost TV revenue, though.

As much as I won't mind, he can't be blamed for any cancellation. I'm curious about the lost TV revenue, though.
Just going off from memory, I think they need to renegotiate the TV contracts soon. If I’m wrong, someone please correct me. I don’t see that value going down. If fact I think it’s the opposite since the NFL is the only consistent thing that draws a regular sizeable rating.
I do think MNF will leave ESPN at some point because of the price as they switch to covering all of CFB.
My guess Turner would make a bid and TNT is the next broadcast partner.

I've been downplaying the virus this whole time, and for myself, I'm not worried, don't even think about it. I don't even watch the news anymore cause I'm tired of all the negativity.

Having said that, Arizona has now become a "hotspot" and we just now have been required to wear a mask everywhere we go. Which I'm fine with as long as things stay open. I'm a team player.

To the topic at hand, it's sucks but at the rate at how things are going..I don't see how a season happens. Even if a player is showing no signs at all but tests positive he'll have to sit 2 weeks.

Do I think this flu is a killer like it's made out to be, no. Very easily spread, yes. Just don't see how you can play a contact sport and not spread it.

Only figures the season I think we're primed and ready, it gets canceled.

Sidenote: I need a blocker on my computer from me accessing Nike.com.

You can put me in the camp that this season is probably not going to happen with fans. Without fans it's nothing but a glorified scrimmage.

We discussed at the Father's day dinner table today. I'm now at the point where we should just cancel all sports until say baseball next year. It's giving us a chance to reflex and maybe channel our efforts and energy into a different direction.

I've been downplaying the virus this whole time, and for myself, I'm not worried, don't even think about it. I don't even watch the news anymore cause I'm tired of all the negativity.

Having said that, Arizona has now become a "hotspot" and we just now have been required to wear a mask everywhere we go. Which I'm fine with as long as things stay open. I'm a team player.

To the topic at hand, it's sucks but at the rate at how things are going..I don't see how a season happens. Even if a player is showing no signs at all but tests positive he'll have to sit 2 weeks.

Do I think this flu is a killer like it's made out to be, no. Very easily spread, yes. Just don't see how you can play a contact sport and not spread it.

Only figures the season I think we're primed and ready, it gets canceled.

Sidenote: I need a blocker on my computer from me accessing Nike.com.
If the season is canceled, the team it really hurts is Tampa. They went all in to get him and he may not even play a game with them.

He’s just a figurehead for the owners. They’ll make the decision, not that clown.

You can put me in the camp that this season is probably not going to happen with fans. Without fans it's nothing but a glorified scrimmage.

We discussed at the Father's day dinner table today. I'm now at the point where we should just cancel all sports until say baseball next year. It's giving us a chance to reflex and maybe channel our efforts and energy into a different direction.
Being a San Francisco Giants fan, I'm ok with there being no season. Matter of fact, they just need to shorten the season anyway. Don't need 162 games. Just make it 82 games. It's dumb to see a team start 5-20 in April only to make the playoffs because they had 5 months to improve. Make all the games count from the start.

Why do you think baseball next year will be different?

Roger's job security will not be affected if the season is cancelled. Any decision made will have the support of the owners, if not also the union.

Increasingly, I believe that not only will fans not be attending any games played, but that it is unlikely the NFL will be able to play much of a season. What happens when inevitably players test positive? Will other players and coaches be quarantined as well? And what will the union's position be when a number of players test positive and some become seriously ill?

Let's see what happens with the NBA and MLB. But I remain doubtful.

its not going to be cancelled, like Stephen A said.. we cant just stop because we dont have a definitive day that a vaccine would be available.. if they said tomorrow may 2021, then yeah shut it down... but we have to learn to live with it.

Roger's job security will not be affected if the season is cancelled. Any decision made will have the support of the owners, if not also the union.

Increasingly, I believe that not only will fans not be attending any games played, but that it is unlikely the NFL will be able to play much of a season. What happens when inevitably players test positive? Will other players and coaches be quarantined as well? And what will the union's position be when a number of players test positive and some become seriously ill?

Let's see what happens with the NBA and MLB. But I remain doubtful.
I think the League is paying VERY close attention to the NBA’s restart.

Many fans will join me in enjoying the past on YT. There’s way too much risk in having 60,000+ people in one space right now.

Heck, the league might even relax a bit with all the YT channels that show true classics, as opposed to the ones shown on the NFL Network. They only show stuff from within the past few years. Not as much money to made anymore selling Earl Campbell or Walter Payton jerseys. Think about it ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom