The importance of a franchise QB for the team, HC (1 Viewer)

Cajun Chat

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There is a reason why the most important position on any team is the QB. I'm a team first guy but if you don't have the right guy guiding the ship it generally means the rest of the team has to work that much harder for the team to be successful.

Sure there are exceptions like Joe Flacco, Doug Williams and Trent Dilfer that have won it all but those are the rare exception.

Look at what happens with franchises and head coaches that lose their long standing franchise QB. Belichick may have just found his franchise guy in Mac Jones which seems to have reinvigorated him. Franchises like the 49ers had the heavens looking down on them when they had a Montana followed by Young. Two HOF QB's back to back that made them a contender for nearly 20 years straight. Similarly for New England, New Orleans and Pittsburgh with Brady, Brees and Big Ben.

If Rodgers decides to move on I'd give Matt Lafleur 2 years max with a young, unproven QB in Jordan Love. As we experienced this year and New England last year it's hard to recover losing a HOF staple under center.

I think Sean Payton knows their franchise QB is not in the building. The draft prospects are limited and the FA QB's will be too expensive. We will be looking at a second or third tier QB for another 2-3 years more than likely.

The franchise QB maybe makes some coaches and franchises look better than they are. I don't think that is the case for us as SP is widely regarded as a top 3-5 HC in the NFL. The same for the guy up in New England. That said without it they are showing it's very difficult to compete without a top echelon signal caller.

I leave you with this..Do you think Sean Payton would really even consider sitting out if he had Joe Burrow, Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes as his QB? I think not. I would even say Andy Reid might be retired by now had they not jumped ahead of us to take Mahomes.

Bottom line and hind sight is 20/20:

We should have drafted a qb to replace brees in the last 3 years.

Not that the person would have beaten out winston, but we did not develop anyone.

Bottom line and hind sight is 20/20:

We should have drafted a qb to replace brees in the last 3 years.

Not that the person would have beaten out winston, but we did not develop anyone.
We still don't know if Book is that guy or not. I don't think any of us here are better at judging QB qualifications as well as CSP is. We'll see, going forward, how much confidence CSP has in him.

It almost feels like a waste for him not to be coaching one of those type guys cause you know the numbers he’d be putting up. I’m hoping he has a second chance to coach that kind of talent again in NO. Fingers crossed.

We still don't know if Book is that guy or not. I don't think any of us here are better at judging QB qualifications as well as CSP is. We'll see, going forward, how much confidence CSP has in him.

The odds say he isn’t. I hope they’re wrong though.

There is a reason why the most important position on any team is the QB. I'm a team first guy but if you don't have the right guy guiding the ship it generally means the rest of the team has to work that much harder for the team to be successful.

Sure there are exceptions like Joe Flacco, Doug Williams and Trent Dilfer that have won it all but those are the rare exception.

Look at what happens with franchises and head coaches that lose their long standing franchise QB. Belichick may have just found his franchise guy in Mac Jones which seems to have reinvigorated him. Franchises like the 49ers had the heavens looking down on them when they had a Montana followed by Young. Two HOF QB's back to back that made them a contender for nearly 20 years straight. Similarly for New England, New Orleans and Pittsburgh with Brady, Brees and Big Ben.

If Rodgers decides to move on I'd give Matt Lafleur 2 years max with a young, unproven QB in Jordan Love. As we experienced this year and New England last year it's hard to recover losing a HOF staple under center.

I think Sean Payton knows their franchise QB is not in the building. The draft prospects are limited and the FA QB's will be too expensive. We will be looking at a second or third tier QB for another 2-3 years more than likely.

The franchise QB maybe makes some coaches and franchises look better than they are. I don't think that is the case for us as SP is widely regarded as a top 3-5 HC in the NFL. The same for the guy up in New England. That said without it they are showing it's very difficult to compete without a top echelon signal caller.

I leave you with this..Do you think Sean Payton would really even consider sitting out if he had Joe Burrow, Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes as his QB? I think not. I would even say Andy Reid might be retired by now had they not jumped ahead of us to take Mahomes.
Truer words have never been spoken. I also feel like BECAUSE Payton knows this, he will at least TRY to get one of the big name QB's. As I said before, a lot of subpar teams can make the playoffs, but winning the Super Bowl is an entirely different animal.

It may be book, but not right now.

Now that it's done, I wanted to revisit this post. I think Sean already has his sights set on a location or two. One might not be Dallas.

I think he goes somewhere next year with a young franchise QB and or a team with a solid foundation and lots of money to spend in free agency. We have neither.

I have never understood how CSP got the credit for being a QB whisperer. How many QBs has he had over his career? He was never gonna coach a QB that wasn’t a high top 10 pick.

Now that it's done, I wanted to revisit this post. I think Sean already has his sights set on a location or two. One might not be Dallas.

I think he goes somewhere next year with a young franchise QB and or a team with a solid foundation and lots of money to spend in free agency. We have neither.
…and lots of lost draft picks that would become Saints. Payton was signed through 2024.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom