The Independent Party, how can it happen? (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, as some of you already know, I've been a RINO for a while now, and I've never felt any sense of loyalty to any of the political parties. Not that I wasn't already considering options, I just got finished watching season 3 of Designated Survivor and without spoiling it, I'll just say there's a lot of emphasis on the idea of running as an independent in a Presidential election.

The question I have is whether there is room for a true third party. We really haven't seen much change since Perot got a pretty good sized chunk of the vote. I really think the current election cycle would be a great opportunity for a true independent to run. But without a party apparatus in place, it's likely too late for a contender to get in the mix.

I guess my question is, would it ever be possible for a true contender to come onto the scene as an independent, or is the system so stacked in favor of the 2 parties in power that there is no path to the election for an independent?

I would like to switch to an Independent Party, but I don't see anything viable at this point, and ultimately, it looks like I'll have to vote Democrat in 2020. Just thinking out loud and sort of thinking about what my options are.

xSlickxRickx

Rookie
Reaction score
So, as some of you already know, I've been a RINO for a while now, and I've never felt any sense of loyalty to any of the political parties. Not that I wasn't already considering options, I just got finished watching season 3 of Designated Survivor and without spoiling it, I'll just say there's a lot of emphasis on the idea of running as an independent in a Presidential election.

The question I have is whether there is room for a true third party. We really haven't seen much change since Perot got a pretty good sized chunk of the vote. I really think the current election cycle would be a great opportunity for a true independent to run. But without a party apparatus in place, it's likely too late for a contender to get in the mix.

I guess my question is, would it ever be possible for a true contender to come onto the scene as an independent, or is the system so stacked in favor of the 2 parties in power that there is no path to the election for an independent?

I would like to switch to an Independent Party, but I don't see anything viable at this point, and ultimately, it looks like I'll have to vote Democrat in 2020. Just thinking out loud and sort of thinking about what my options are.
I truly wish they would allow the independent party to break onto the scene. Would be nice if it were a requirement to have a candidate from each party in the final Debates. I mean, we can vote for them, but that just ends up being a vote for the most popular candidate. We never get to hear their ideas, and understand their visions the same way we can with the dems or repubs. This coming from a Republican. Variety is never a bad thing.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Going for party first is backwards and won’t really fix the problem
Tiered voting seems the best (maybe only democratic) alternative to return power back to the voters

OP
OP

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Going for party first is backwards and won’t really fix the problem
Tiered voting seems the best (maybe only democratic) alternative to return power back to the voters
I'm not familiar with tiered voting. I've never really been a party first voter. But, in a lot of states you have to be in the party to vote in the primaries. Maybe do away with the primaries altogether?

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with tiered voting. I've never really been a party first voter. But, in a lot of states you have to be in the party to vote in the primaries. Maybe do away with the primaries altogether?
Didn’t you start this by saying you were a RINO
Getting rid of primaries would throw even more money into general elections
Tiered voting mitigates the influence of money (doesn’t eliminate it, obviously) but gives less high profile/bankrolled candidates a legit shot

baarbogast

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I was all set to vote for Jill Stein-Libertarian, in the last election. When she dropped out it was a choice between a root canal and a kick to the nards. I chose the root canal and went with Trump.

Zztop

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I think the closest anyone got to viable was Ross Perot, with his cute charts about trickle down economics etc. I think he also mainly funded it all himself... at least from what I recall. Didn't he get like 11% of the vote?

OP
OP

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Didn’t you start this by saying you were a RINO
Getting rid of primaries would throw even more money into general elections
Tiered voting mitigates the influence of money (doesn’t eliminate it, obviously) but gives less high profile/bankrolled candidates a legit shot
Well, I was thinking eliminating primaries would open up the process to more candidates who were not part of the 2 major parties. Would removing the primaries actually make it worse?

OP
OP

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The very idea of a "party" prevents it from being independent...
How about we eliminate the parties and have one big general election? All of the funding would come from the general election fund and everyone running would have to go through the same application process and I'm guessing the top polling candidates would be invited to a pre-set number of debates.

OP
OP

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Of course, we haven't even started on what Congress look like without 2 parties running the show. I can't imagine how that would work.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
How about we eliminate the parties and have one big general election? All of the funding would come from the general election fund and everyone running would have to go through the same application process and I'm guessing the top polling candidates would be invited to a pre-set number of debates.
You don't have to sell me. You have to sell the people currently in power who personally benefit from the current structure.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
No.

Because math.

Winner-take-all inevitably leads to two options.

Ranked choice voting is the only way to break that.

OP
OP

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No.

Because math.

Winner-take-all inevitably leads to two options.

Ranked choice voting is the only way to break that.
I'm just trying to visualize what that would look like. Examples or something I can read to learn more?

lapaz

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom