The Infamous Smoke Screen (1 Viewer)

kenny59715

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
It is about that time of year when "Turf's" cousin, "The Smoke Screen", comes out of hibernation from the winter. Who will it be this year? What coaches will let some "inside" information slip accidentally on purpose? I beleive that we, the Saints, will forecast a move at the top LB so we can trade down a bit and pick up the top CB or S on the board. Maybe a move down from 10 to the 15-20 range for Talib or DRC.

What do you guys think?

You can bet I will be bumping this thread after the combine when good ole "Smoke Screen" comes out of his cave.

Come on Slim K, you know. It is when a team releases information on a player they are "high" on just to peak other teams interests. This might sway other teams into liking the said player more and bumping the player up on the other teams draft board, when all along you wanted a different player and made a sucker out of another team. This could be beneficial come draft day. Lets say the Saints find out that Denver is really high on taking player X at its draft position and believes that player X is the best player after the first 9 picks. The Saints may not have him rated as high as Denver but by acting like they are interested and might take him the Broncos trade up to attain him. We in turn get compensated with an extra pick or player and move down to get the same guy we originally wanted. Basically its the same thing that happened to the Saints in the Jonathon Sullivan debacle. The Saints panicked when someone ahead of them showed interest in Sully and suckered us into trading up to get him, when we probably could have sat tight and still held onto both of our 1st rounders.

Its a lot harder for the Saints to put up a smokescreen -- the other teams have seen our defense --

Coach comes out and says how badly we need help on defense, only to draft a WR in the first round. Is that a smoke screen?

I think them talking to Zach Thomas and Dan Morgan are both smoke screens personally. I guess we'll see though

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom