The "INTRIGUING PROSPECTS" Thread (1 Viewer)

Alex Brink
Ht: 6-3 Wt: 215
Position: QB
Date of Birth: 6/2/1985
Birthplace: Eugene, OR
Class: RS - Senior
High School: Henry D Sheldon HS
(Eugene, OR)
College: Washington State

Alex Brink might not even be drafted because he captained a talent-poor Wazzu team, but he's thrown for more yards than Drew Bledsoe, Ryan Leaf or Mark Rypien. He reminds me a lot of Drew Brees in size, arm and attitude. A quiet "Get the job done." type who has an NFL caliber arm, but not an amazing cannon. Accuracy and touch are his strong suits. He'd be the kind of late-round project that time with Brees and Payton could turn into a bonafide starter in a few years.

Anthony Hoke, DE/OLB Cincinnati. 6'1, 255 lbs. 13 sacks in 13 games last year and 16.5 TFL. Late round prospect; may be a good situational pass-rusher.

Josh Johnson of San Diego is a QB of a special breed. While timed at an unspectacular 4.7, on the field you would guess a 4.4. He has amazing quickness. For such a mobile quarterback he has a great quick release, and can sling it. He put up a TD-INT ratio of something like 120:15 in his college career. He is another late rounder who may make a surprising impact.

i love this kid. if he is there in the 5th we should snatch him up

Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn. Fastest player on the team, over 6' tall, good ball skills. Why he isn't rated higher is beyond me

Wallace Gilberry, DE, Alabama. 6'4, 264 LBS, 4.85/40. 10 sacks and 27 TFL. Considered a mid-round prospect. May be a good situational pass-rusher. He was productive in college and had top intangibles. Payton will probably like the guy and I'm sure Harper has an opinion on him; if Harper and DeMeco Ryans had any influence on him as a person, then you've got to think that he'll do whatever it takes to succeed.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/wallacegilberry.html

Strengths:
Has a solid frame...Strong, tough and powerful...Has an excellent motor...Quick off the ball...Pretty good tackler...Great bull rusher..Does a nice job versus the run...A team leader...Productive..Has a lot of experience against high-quality competition

Last edited:
Jerome Simpson, Coastal Carolina.
Mid rounder probably. Has 6-2 size, and great hands. Unbelievable leaping ability, school record holder in high jump (6ft-6) long jump (25ft).
The 4.6 forty time on NFLDC must be an estimate, unless he is one of those players who is timed pretty slow, which does nothing to justify the burst they have.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/jeromesimpson.html

Nice compliment to Meachem and Colston. Probably be around 5th or 6th

I will take any opportunity I have to rave about Shawn Crable. I think I'd be more excited about him in the 2nd than most of the people we've been talking about in the 1st. I've seen quite a few Michigan games this year and this guy was all over the place; he simply makes plays. If his measurables (6'5, 241 lbs, 4.65 40) don't intrigue you, then have a look at his numbers: 90 tackles, 7.5 sacks, and this one: an astonishing 28.5 tackles for loss.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/shawncrable.html

Strengths:
Has excellent size and a big frame with long arms...Very athletic...Fantastic timed speed...Nice quickness and agility...Strong and powerful...Terrific pass rusher and blitzer...Makes a lot of plays behind the line...Offers some versatility...He does an adequate job in coverage...Still improving and has upside...Had a big senior year

Josh Johnson of San Diego is a QB of a special breed. While timed at an unspectacular 4.7, on the field you would guess a 4.4. He has amazing quickness. For such a mobile quarterback he has a great quick release, and can sling it. He put up a TD-INT ratio of something like 120:15 in his college career. He is another late rounder who may make a surprising impact.

i love this kid. if he is there in the 5th we should snatch him up

I watched him in the all star and he definitely did some very nice things, he has tremendous natural talent and a very nice touch and arm, he was whipping balls all around, but he also was patient and pulled it down and ran it a few times..

Here is some more detailed info on Josh Johnson, for those unaware of him.
I had no idea he played with Marshawn Lynch in high school, or that Lynch is his cousin.

Josh Johnson, San Diego
Height/Weight: 6'3/198
College Experience: Fourth-year senior
Projected 40: 4.61
Comparison: Steve McNair
2007 Statistics: 206-of-301 (68.4%), 2,988 Yds, 41 Tds, 1 Int, 101 carries (7.2 YPC), 2 Tds

Positives: Johnson is the top athlete among QBs who will be drafted. He has speed to pick up yards with his feet and moves to elude defenders in the open field. Johnson started three years at USD and never completed less than 66.3% of his passes. He improved by leaps and bounds each season. Johnson faced weak competition in D-IAA, but excelled against higher level players and won Offensive MVP of the East-West Shrine Game. He is a legitimate dual threat who is not known to be involved in dog fighting.
Negatives: Johnson must add weight to his frame to hold up at the next level, and more bulk could slow him down. He is considered to have a good arm, but must work on his touch. He also faces a major jump up in not only competition, but concepts as he learns an offense that will be much more complex and demanding than the one he played in at San Diego. Johnson is highly unlikely to make an impact during his initial one to two NFL seasons.
Lewin on Josh Johnson: In comparing two D-IAA quarterbacks, Johnson clearly is a better prospect than Joe Flacco. These are the Steve McNair-type numbers you look for from sub-Division I QBs.
Verdict: Johnson was recruited by Jim Harbaugh before Harbaugh took the coaching job at Stanford. Johnson drew interest from D-I schools, but was not offered scholarships. His high school used a run-first attack, with Johnson's cousin Marshawn Lynch the centerpiece on offense. Johnson broke his leg as a prep junior. Clearly he is a project, but Johnson's elite multi-faceted skills make him well worth a third- or fourth-round pick. Because Johnson has exhibited a high degree of accuracy, he is a far better prospect than Tarvaris Jackson was at this time two years ago.

I think now that he has been a bit more exposure, and will be talked about in the run up to the draft, he will not fall past the 4th. I'd say Kansas City, Atlanta, or maybe Miami to take him in the high 3rd, should each of them not address the need before then.

For a 3-4 team, the DE end from UCLA, Bruce Davis, looked very good at the Senior Bowl as a LB.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom