The "INTRIGUING PROSPECTS" Thread (1 Viewer)

canuckredux

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I've been reading through some prospect profiles and have been looking for some guys beyond the 1st round that could be potential diamonds in the rough. Certain names have been discussed before: Shawn Crable, J Leman, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, anyone from LSU. Jordy Nelson's name has come up and of course, Jerod Mayo, so I'll leave these guys out. (Incidentally, I really like Crable in the 2nd round if we can get him.) If anybody has some good info on these guys or has some guys that we should keep an eye on in the upcoming months, post them here.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/beaubell.html

Beau Bell Outside Linebacker | Senior | UNLV
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 245 | 40-Time: 4.65

Strengths:
Excellent size and bulk...Terrific range and can go sideline-to-sideline...Very good timed speed...Real aggressive and has a good motor...Strong and tough...Violent and reliable tackler...A decent pass rusher and blitzer...Does a nice job versus the run...Active and a terror in pursuit...Extremely productive and makes a lot of plays.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/demariopressley.html

DeMario Pressley, DT, NC State Height: 6-3 | Weight: 295 | 40-Time: 5.00

Strengths:
Excellent athleticism...Very good speed and quickness...Great range...Does a nice job in pursuit and has a burst to close...Does a good job of shedding blocks...Can penetrate and wreak havoc in the backfield...Versatile...He will get a decent push up the middle...Explosive off the ball with a great first step...Still has some upside.

Brian Witherspoon Cornerback | Senior | Stillman
Height: 5-10 | Weight: 180 | 40-Time: 4.25

No scouting report, but who isn't intrigued by that 40 time? He's been clocked as low as 4.19. He's a former D2 track star who put up some good numbers at CB this year.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/lavellehawkins.html

Lavelle Hawkins Wide Receiver | Senior | California
Height: 5-11 | Weight: 185 | 40-Time: 4.50

Strengths:
A great athlete...Good body control and ball skills...Tough and will work the middle of the field...Plays faster than he times and can separate...Explosive...Is quick and agile...Elusive and runs well after the catch...Can also contribute as a return man.

Scouting report doesn't do justice to what I saw in him. He's a very talented player.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/heathbenedict.html

Heath Benedict Offensive Tackle | Senior | Newberry
Height: 6-6 | Weight: 320 | 40-Time: 5.15

Strengths:
Has excellent size and a large frame...A fantastic athlete with great quickness and agility...Is strong, powerful and gets a nice push...Light on his feet and slides well laterally..Mobile with terrific range..Versatile and could play a number of positions.

Redshirted at Tennessee, but transferred due to academic reasons. Payton loves those small school guys.

Davone Bess Wide Receiver | Junior | Hawaii
Height: 5-10 | Weight: 190 | 40-Time: 4.60

No scouting report yet, but he was a beast at Hawaii. Quick and agile with soft hands. One of Colt Brennan's favourite targets. I like Ryan Grice-Mullen from there as well.

Darnell Terrell Cornerback | Senior | Missouri
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 205 | 40-Time: 4.45

No scouting report yet, but Mizzou really caught the nation's attention this year. Terrell is that group's top DB: A sound tackler and is good against the pass.

Bo Ruud Outside Linebacker | Senior | Nebraska
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 235 | 40-Time: 4.75

No scouting report yet, but he's Barrett's brother. Only saw 1 Nebraska game this year, but you gotta like those bloodlines.

Keilen Dykes Defensive Tackle | Senior | West Virginia
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 295 | 40-Time: 5.00

No scouting report yet, but saw a lot of WVU this season (they're always on TV). He always stood out on that defence.

Jason Shirley Defensive Tackle | Senior | Fresno St.
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 330 | 40-Time: 5.10

No scouting report yet, but he's a behemoth of a human being. I remember hearing his name quite a bit last year. I think his stock slipped this year after an injury; he only played 3 games.

Also of note: There are a LOT of big WRs out there this year in the lower portion of the talent pool. No doubt the scouts will be looking for the next Marques Colston.

Last edited:
I've been reading through some prospect profiles and have been looking for some guys beyond the 1st round that could be potential diamonds in the rough. Certain names have been discussed before: Shawn Crable, J Leman, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, anyone from LSU. Jordy Nelson's name has come up and of course, Jerod Mayo, so I'll leave these guys out. (Incidentally, I really like Crable in the 2nd round if we can get him.) If anybody has some good info on these guys or has some guys that we should keep an eye on in the upcoming months, post them here.

Strengths:
Excellent size and bulk...Terrific range and can go sideline-to-sideline...Very good timed speed...Real aggressive and has a good motor...Strong and tough...Violent and reliable tackler...A decent pass rusher and blitzer...Does a nice job versus the run...Active and a terror in pursuit...Extremely productive and makes a lot of plays.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/demariopressley.html

DeMario Pressley, DT, NC State Height: 6-3 | Weight: 295 | 40-Time: 5.00

Strengths:
Excellent athleticism...Very good speed and quickness...Great range...Does a nice job in pursuit and has a burst to close...Does a good job of shedding blocks...Can penetrate and wreak havoc in the backfield...Versatile...He will get a decent push up the middle...Explosive off the ball with a great first step...Still has some upside.

No scouting report, but who isn't intrigued by that 40 time? He's been clocked as low as 4.19. He's a former D2 track star who put up some good numbers at CB this year.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/lavellehawkins.html

Lavelle Hawkins Wide Receiver | Senior | California
Height: 5-11 | Weight: 185 | 40-Time: 4.50

Strengths:
A great athlete...Good body control and ball skills...Tough and will work the middle of the field...Plays faster than he times and can separate...Explosive...Is quick and agile...Elusive and runs well after the catch...Can also contribute as a return man.

Scouting report doesn't do justice to what I saw in him. He's a very talented player.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/heathbenedict.html

Heath Benedict Offensive Tackle | Senior | Newberry
Height: 6-6 | Weight: 320 | 40-Time: 5.15

Strengths:
Has excellent size and a large frame...A fantastic athlete with great quickness and agility...Is strong, powerful and gets a nice push...Light on his feet and slides well laterally..Mobile with terrific range..Versatile and could play a number of positions.

Redshirted at Tennessee, but transferred due to academic reasons. Payton loves those small school guys.

No scouting report yet, but he was a beast at Hawaii. Quick and agile with soft hands. One of Colt Brennan's favourite targets. I like Ryan Grice-Mullen from there as well.

Darnell Terrell Cornerback | Senior | Missouri
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 205 | 40-Time: 4.45

No scouting report yet, but Mizzou really caught the nation's attention this year. Terrell is that group's top DB: A sound tackler and is good against the pass.

Bo Ruud Outside Linebacker | Senior | Nebraska
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 235 | 40-Time: 4.75

No scouting report yet, but he's Barrett's brother. Only saw 1 Nebraska game this year, but you gotta like those bloodlines.

Keilen Dykes Defensive Tackle | Senior | West Virginia
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 295 | 40-Time: 5.00

No scouting report yet, but saw a lot of WVU this season (they're always on TV). He always stood out on that defence.

Jason Shirley Defensive Tackle | Senior | Fresno St.
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 330 | 40-Time: 5.10

No scouting report yet, but he's a behemoth of a human being. I remember hearing his name quite a bit last year. I think his stock slipped this year after an injury; he only played 3 games.

Also of note: There are a LOT of big WRs out there this year in the lower portion of the talent pool. No doubt the scouts will be looking for the next Marques Colston.

i really like demario pressley i hope hes around at the top of day 2. a corner with 4.1 speed? i doubt hes any good because if he was scouts would be all over him on his speed alone, they go nuts over 40 times.

I like the sound of a violent and reliable tackler.

I guess that'd be fine if we needed a CB that can run a straight line and chase down WRs, but we need one that can cut, stop on a dime, and make a play for the ball. I'd have to know more about his quickness and instincts before spending a pick on him.

I'm from Las Vegas and watched Beau Bell play on many occasions. This guy is a beast!!! He was in on every play causing havoc! If the Saints could get him in the second round (I really don;t think he will last till the 3rd round) I would be estatic! This guy lays the lumber!!!

I love researching prospects like this. Witherspoon will make a big impact on someone's return game, and is a ballhawk. I'd love the Saints to take him.

Josh Johnson of San Diego is a QB of a special breed. While timed at an unspectacular 4.7, on the field you would guess a 4.4. He has amazing quickness. For such a mobile quarterback he has a great quick release, and can sling it. He put up a TD-INT ratio of something like 120:15 in his college career. He is another late rounder who may make a surprising impact.

Tim Hightower from Richmond is a Pierre Thomas clone. He could be a bruising back, and has great cutback skills.

The most interesting player entering the draft, in my opinion, is USC running back Hershel Dennis. You may recognise the name. As a freshman, he was at the bottom of the depth chart. Suddenly as a sophomore he started every game. Then he blew out his knee before his Junior season, thrusting Reggie Bush and Lendale White into the spotlight. Due to their emergence, he was relegated to a reserve again. Then he blew out his knee again, and was eligible to return to play this year. Though making few appearances due to his injury doubts, his knee has now fully recovered. He is an early round talent who may even go undrafted due to some bad luck. He may be the bruising runner some people are calling for us to get.

Colorado's Terance Wheatley is a true cornerback, who's wrist injury doubts will affect where he goes.

Finally, Arizona linebacker Spencer Laursen spent 2 years at a Mormon camp before returning to play football. He is not the size you look for but is a great tackler and athlete.

I find nothing intriguing about Davone Bess. He was a nice WR in college, a product of an NFL calibre coach who can create superiod matchups against below average college competition.

Additionally, imo, the home field advantage is much greater for Hawaii than virtually any other team, mainly because the travel time is so great. And, of course, the offensive scheme is designed to create outstanding stats that don't translate very well to the NFL.

If I'm not mistaken, June Jones was an early practitioner of the Run and Shoot, and his current offense is pretty much a derivation of the Run and Shoot.

imo, the players coming out of that offensive system produce distorted statistics that don't translate to the NFL.

Just looking at Bess, 5-10, 180 lbs, and running a 4.6, he just doesn't seem to have enough speed for his size. At best, he's a finge player on an NFL roster.

I guess that'd be fine if we needed a CB that can run a straight line and chase down WRs, but we need one that can cut, stop on a dime, and make a play for the ball. I'd have to know more about his quickness and instincts before spending a pick on him.

Special teams possibilties, maybe converted to WR if his hands are any good. Lots of pure speed guys have come along and done nothing, like John Capel and Justin Gatlin and even special teams requires agility more than speed. Devin Hester's 40 was something like 4.45; I even read 4.51 somewhere.

I like the sound of a violent and reliable tackler.

That is EXACTLY the line that prompted me to start this thread. :)

I'm from Las Vegas and watched Beau Bell play on many occasions. This guy is a beast!!! He was in on every play causing havoc! If the Saints could get him in the second round (I really don;t think he will last till the 3rd round) I would be estatic! This guy lays the lumber!!!

Good to hear because UNLV aren't on TV much (if ever) up here.

I find nothing intriguing about Davone Bess. He was a nice WR in college, a product of an NFL calibre coach who can create superiod matchups against below average college competition.

Additionally, imo, the home field advantage is much greater for Hawaii than virtually any other team, mainly because the travel time is so great. And, of course, the offensive scheme is designed to create outstanding stats that don't translate very well to the NFL.

If I'm not mistaken, June Jones was an early practitioner of the Run and Shoot, and his current offense is pretty much a derivation of the Run and Shoot.

imo, the players coming out of that offensive system produce distorted statistics that don't translate to the NFL.

Just looking at Bess, 5-10, 180 lbs, and running a 4.6, he just doesn't seem to have enough speed for his size. At best, he's a finge player on an NFL roster.

I'd agree on measurables, I just remember seeing him play in his freshman or sophomore season and he really caught my attention. The announcers were saying that June Jones was saying that he was the best WR prospect he had ever worked with and Bess was all over the field making plays. He might be a slot WR at the next level at best, and likely will never reach the ranks of an elite WR, but I found him interesting.

Strengths:

I'm pretty high on these guys. Beau Bell could be a nice addition to our linebacker corps. I really like Davone Bess for the slot WR position. I see a Wes Welker all the way and a nice target for Drew.

I love researching prospects like this. Witherspoon will make a big impact on someone's return game, and is a ballhawk. I'd love the Saints to take him.

Josh Johnson of San Diego is a QB of a special breed. While timed at an unspectacular 4.7, on the field you would guess a 4.4. He has amazing quickness. For such a mobile quarterback he has a great quick release, and can sling it. He put up a TD-INT ratio of something like 120:15 in his college career. He is another late rounder who may make a surprising impact.

Tim Hightower from Richmond is a Pierre Thomas clone. He could be a bruising back, and has great cutback skills.

The most interesting player entering the draft, in my opinion, is USC running back Hershel Dennis. You may recognise the name. As a freshman, he was at the bottom of the depth chart. Suddenly as a sophomore he started every game. Then he blew out his knee before his Junior season, thrusting Reggie Bush and Lendale White into the spotlight. Due to their emergence, he was relegated to a reserve again. Then he blew out his knee again, and was eligible to return to play this year. Though making few appearances due to his injury doubts, his knee has now fully recovered. He is an early round talent who may even go undrafted due to some bad luck. He may be the bruising runner some people are calling for us to get.

Colorado's Terance Wheatley is a true cornerback, who's wrist injury doubts will affect where he goes.

Finally, Arizona linebacker Spencer Laursen spent 2 years at a Mormon camp before returning to play football. He is not the size you look for but is a great tackler and athlete.

I watched Josh Johnson during the East- West Shrine game and he definitely showed he has the make up mentally and physically to hang with better talent. He is highly efficient running and passing with the ball and has athe ability to use touch or throw it on a rope when need be. He is a very smart QB that knows when to run, when to pass and throw it away. Never mind the small school stuff because he played well and i think he has a very bright future. He was projected to be a 5th rounder before the game but McShay seems to think he elevated his stock to the 2 or 3rd round. Either way he is far better than Palko...

Some others I would like to throw out there are:

Jaime Silva from BC that plays Safety. Always around the ball. Plays the run and pass equally well and is a very smart player. Takes proper angles, good tackler, just doesn't have the blazing speed nor size that people fall in love with at the draft. Just a good football player...

Kevin Robinson from Utah State is a WR but will definitely see the field as a return man on kickoffs and punt return. Watching him return kicks is electrifying and he will see the field in the NFL as a return man while he learns how to be a WR.

Zachary Bowman and Dwight Lowery also looked decent with Bowman looking to be the better man corner and Lowery being better suited for a cover two type scheme. Lowery does have a nose for the ball but has issues turning and running with receivers.

Darrell Blackman, RB/WR, NC State 5'11" 205ish ran a 4.4 coming out of HS

For you DeSean Jackson lovers, here's a better-built hybrid player who can return kicks and can be had later in the draft. He did the Devery and played each positon for 2 years, switching to WR after basically every other WR left the Wolfpack. Where he separates from Devery is that he actually has good hands.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom