The Investment Thread (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Rumors that Amazon was looking into offering a live TV package as well, have now been confirmed.

Amazon creating live TV package - Business Insider
The rumor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201975120

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/tech/2017/05/23/amazon-prime-now-let-you-watch-tv-live/102046756/

confirmed.

No details on the pricing or offereings yet.

With Amazon getting into this arena, pushing the boundaries on retail, cloud services, etc. I really do wonder how large they can grow. As long as they keep their laser focus on customer service, speed and cost, I think they can do a lot.

I'm very glad I was able to buy a few shares a while back while it was trading in the $700's... or course, I wish I did this a year or two before when they were in the $400-500 range. Wow.

Today they hit $998/share ad are now hovering around $996.

dbridge

a.k.a. Dulymus Jenod
Reaction score
Records as the norm...

Hope it moves big. I bought a strangle on it.

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Good read and update for RCEL in Japan. Get ready. 2020 should really see a major move up! THIS IS A LONG TERM HOLD! Not for shorties.

OP
OP
Saint_Ward

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hope it moves big. I bought a strangle on it.
Well, it moved big, but in the wrong direction. The market makes no sense. No idea why there is a long term bearish sentiment. It seems like folks are taking the 737 MAX issues the wrong way with us. Also, maybe they're reading too much into the 2020 guidance being lower than what is normally achieve. It was discussed in the call. Every year, they under play the guidance. they under state and over deliver.

Good thing I've been buying in since 2008!

dbridge

a.k.a. Dulymus Jenod
Reaction score
Well, it moved big, but in the wrong direction. The market makes no sense. No idea why there is a long term bearish sentiment. It seems like folks are taking the 737 MAX issues the wrong way with us. Also, maybe they're reading too much into the 2020 guidance being lower than what is normally achieve. It was discussed in the call. Every year, they under play the guidance. they under state and over deliver.

Good thing I've been buying in since 2008!
I made a quick, sizeable profit on my strangle so I'm pleased. Just needed it to move big up or down. With that said, I was as surprised as you were to see the drop after the earnings beat and dividend increase.

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
RECELL treatment being used on air crash survivor, from Lafayette. She was in her car when the plane crashed and her car subsequently caught on fire. She was transported to New Orleans UMC, to be treated by Dr. Michael Carter, who was involved with the clinical trials for AVITA.

You can watch the 5pm news from WDSU channel 6, from New Orleans on her story and the discussion with Dr. Michael Carter. Good stuff!

OP
OP
Saint_Ward

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Overall market bounce today. Probably now that it is a new tax year, some money is flowing back in.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Gold had several big bounces despite every normal indicator telling me to sell I've held on. Dollar weakness and Iraq driving it.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Had to take some profits and reduce my exposure in NUGT today after hitting $36 this morning. Was in it long since mid 20's then added some around $36 then added more around $28 after it pulled back. At the same time still holding some long which isn't what that ETF was designed to do but I'm also scared of selling since gold continues to hold really strong in the face of what would normally be downward pressures and then pops when expected to. Still looks like a low risk, high reward type situation. I just wish the funds did a better job tracking gold over longer time periods.

It's going to be really interesting to see how Iran escalates and it's impact on the markets. Big sell off today but it's just basically giving back yesterday's gains and then will likely be back to business as usual. If Iran pulls off some sort of terrorist attack against the West or even worse in the US then I don't see how the next step isn't war.

OP
OP
Saint_Ward

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So, what is everyone doing now? How are you leveraged / diversified? We had a lot of indications about a global economic slow down, maybe not contraction, but at least a slow down. Seems like a lot of areas in the Markets took a pause, but have ramped up again.

I pulled out a bit a few months back, and then slowly got back in, but I still have about 10% of my IRA funds on the sideline. Need to find a home. I have been reading The Intelligent Investor to get some ideas, but I'm not far enough in the book.

However, I still have about 16% in the S&P 500, which has done very well.

I jumped back into NVDA a while back at around $193/share, and today they're at $251 and climbing. That's been a nice 29-30% increase.

I picked up about 12% in Discover (DFS), and it's up around 7% (It has slipped a bit the last week or so).

I still have about 6% in a gold ETF, IAU, up about 3%. Got in the gold game late.

I put about 8% in PBW, which is a green energy ETF. It was treading water for a long while, but it is up 23.5% since I got in. Been a nice run, and it's nice that it is Green energy too. I probably should have put more in there.

I have similar amounts in TGT and TIP. TGT just looked like they've really leveraged the company to grow and I like them better than Walmart, in general. I'm pretty flat with them now, but on the positive side of zero.

TIP was more of a defensive move to leverage something with inflation. We've been historically low with inflation, but something's gotta give at some point.

I still have my chunk in RCEL. Up about 24% now, but it's been fluttering all over. We'll see if they break out. Otherwise, I may play these waves.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm turning the rest of my investments over to the manger - I suck at it and I'm just going to let the professionals handle it.

I was able to piggy back on family accounts to get a management fee of just .45%, which is really good. So, I'm done, I'm out.

mc4saints

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm turning the rest of my investments over to the manger - I suck at it and I'm just going to let the professionals handle it.

I was able to piggy back on family accounts to get a management fee of just .45%, which is really good. So, I'm done, I'm out.

Care to share how I can get the same .45%? :)

UncleTrvlingJim

Administrator
Administrator
Super Moderator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'll just say again that trying to time the market or beat the market is not a realistic goal. If you really want to maximize your retirement account, just put everything into a couple of index funds that broadly mirror the market, and add to it every month.

If you do that, you'll have more money than if you try to individually pick stocks.

UncleTrvlingJim

Administrator
Administrator
Super Moderator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If that isn't good enough for you, another strategy is to do the Dogs of the Dow strategy. Basically on January 1, you buy into the 10 Dow stocks with the highest dividend yield. (Basically, betting that they've probably been oversold and will bounce back this coming year).

If you have a high tolerance for risk, keep buying start-ups. But be prepared to lose a lot before you finally hit the one big one that makes all your money back.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

great gif.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom