The Investment Thread (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Rumors that Amazon was looking into offering a live TV package as well, have now been confirmed.

Amazon creating live TV package - Business Insider
The rumor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201975120

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/tech/2017/05/23/amazon-prime-now-let-you-watch-tv-live/102046756/

confirmed.

No details on the pricing or offereings yet.

With Amazon getting into this arena, pushing the boundaries on retail, cloud services, etc. I really do wonder how large they can grow. As long as they keep their laser focus on customer service, speed and cost, I think they can do a lot.

I'm very glad I was able to buy a few shares a while back while it was trading in the $700's... or course, I wish I did this a year or two before when they were in the $400-500 range. Wow.

Today they hit $998/share ad are now hovering around $996.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So, what is everyone doing now? How are you leveraged / diversified? We had a lot of indications about a global economic slow down, maybe not contraction, but at least a slow down. Seems like a lot of areas in the Markets took a pause, but have ramped up again.

I pulled out a bit a few months back, and then slowly got back in, but I still have about 10% of my IRA funds on the sideline. Need to find a home. I have been reading The Intelligent Investor to get some ideas, but I'm not far enough in the book.

However, I still have about 16% in the S&P 500, which has done very well.

I jumped back into NVDA a while back at around $193/share, and today they're at $251 and climbing. That's been a nice 29-30% increase.

I picked up about 12% in Discover (DFS), and it's up around 7% (It has slipped a bit the last week or so).

I still have about 6% in a gold ETF, IAU, up about 3%. Got in the gold game late.

I put about 8% in PBW, which is a green energy ETF. It was treading water for a long while, but it is up 23.5% since I got in. Been a nice run, and it's nice that it is Green energy too. I probably should have put more in there.

I have similar amounts in TGT and TIP. TGT just looked like they've really leveraged the company to grow and I like them better than Walmart, in general. I'm pretty flat with them now, but on the positive side of zero.

TIP was more of a defensive move to leverage something with inflation. We've been historically low with inflation, but something's gotta give at some point.

I still have my chunk in RCEL. Up about 24% now, but it's been fluttering all over. We'll see if they break out. Otherwise, I may play these waves.
I havent spoken to my FA since just before 1/1. Will probably catch up here this week. I basically go by what he tells me ( outside any nuggets from chuck here- CRM bro- NEVER FORGET! )

Havent really paid much attention since work has been pretty hectic since 1/1 , but hope to get a gauge on market here. Seems like its been chgging along well, so i may still sit and accumulate cash for a pull back.

OP
OP
Saint_Ward

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I havent spoken to my FA since just before 1/1. Will probably catch up here this week. I basically go by what he tells me ( outside any nuggets from chuck here- CRM bro- NEVER FORGET! )

Havent really paid much attention since work has been pretty hectic since 1/1 , but hope to get a gauge on market here. Seems like its been chgging along well, so i may still sit and accumulate cash for a pull back.
Would be nice to hear some intel.

I need to check with Fidelity. I think I can go to one of their centers and talk to a financial advisor. Just not sure they'd give advice vs just telling me about their services..

OP
OP
Saint_Ward

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, PBW has been nice. Supporting clean energy, and people seem to be jumping in this year, so the price is a healthy bit up.

Not sure how much more the price will run up though. Need to start digging for some analysis and see how the companies are doing. Is this business/profit related or just future growth/speculation?

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Wuhan virus is going to dominate the market on Monday. I'm fully expecting a bloodbath in the Asian markets which will lead to a tough day in the US. The big money in the markets will be hiring the best virologists and infectious disease experts in the country to put together projections and will have a total picture as good or better than the CDC. The market will will likely be quite telling.

Here is a pretty good summary of the impacts so far in the market.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Wuhan virus is going to dominate the market on Monday. I'm fully expecting a bloodbath in the Asian markets which will lead to a tough day in the US.

Here is a pretty good summary of the impacts so far in the market.
I’m gonna buy Gold, and puts in WYNN and SWKS.

bclemms

Reaction score
I’m gonna buy Gold, and puts in WYNN and SWKS.
I'm still holding a few hundred shares of NUGT. Took some profits on it Friday but it took about 15 minutes for me to regret it. I'm not sure what else I'm going to do yet, will look hard at it tonight.

OP
OP
Saint_Ward

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The market is taking it on the chin today.

I sold off a couple shares of NVDA last week to take profits. Down like 5% right now. DFS (Discover) took a hard hit. as well as the broader market. A lot of good gains I've had have just been wiped out or nearly so.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score

I sold off a couple shares of NVDA last week to take profits. Down like 5% right now. DFS (Discover) took a hard hit. as well as the broader market. A lot of good gains I've had have just been wiped out or nearly so.
Dow is down 1.5%.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I opened those two put positions in WYNN and SWKS. If disruption in China continues for another two weeks or more - which I think the odds of that are very high - I think those will do well.

I know I said I was done but I can't resist a sudden disruption event.

bclemms

Reaction score
I jumped on ABBV, CLX and opened puts on WYNN and RCL.

Abbvia makes a HIV drug that the Chinese are using to treat Wuhan. Figure I'll ride it up for a few days and then get out with the expectation that it will not work to treat the virus. Chlorox is a safe play that should do well longer term. Royal Caribbean is one I can see that just get abused since they do a lot of business in China and under the assumption that the virus continues to spread nobody will want to look at a cruise ship.

WYNN was already beat up and may end up burning me. It's already bounced back considerably.

efil4stnias

VIP Contributor
Reaction score

im waiting to see if this is today only - if not, im gonna load up on some discounted stocks. BABA was moving well til Wuhan.

bclemms

Reaction score
im waiting to see if this is today only - if not, im gonna load up on some discounted stocks. BABA was moving well til Wuhan.
Really big week for earnings with companies like Google, Facebook and Apple reporting. If they report good and the market isn't able to hold ground that'll be a really bad sign. The virus isn't going away anytime soon, it is still accelerating and will likely be a long term downward pressure IMO. Depending on how long it takes for things to level out, could be some really good buying ops.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch China exposure on the long side right now.

I think right now, February 5 is the earliest I would think that we could know how contained this thing is. They shut down traffic from Wuhan and then "sealed off" (if that's even possible) Hubei on or about January 22. With an incubation period of up to 14 days, prudence requires at least waiting until that period has cleared.

There's a lot that can happen in the meantime.

efil4stnias

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well my FA just called and to play it safe, he got me in EEM and QQQ ( etfs that track Nasdaq 100 ). Picked up a handful of NVDA too.

His line of thinking was we have endured 5 days of red in the market and usually that is about the extent. Said if it continues we still have some cash leftover from todays buys and we still got todays buys at a discount. Im not even attempting to time this market. So i just defer to his insight lol.

b, yeah some pretty big results coming this week so that may assuage the fears. But as you said, if it dont, look out.

LonghornSaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I opened those two put positions in WYNN and SWKS. If disruption in China continues for another two weeks or more - which I think the odds of that are very high - I think those will do well.

I know I said I was done but I can't resist a sudden disruption event.
How much of a drop do you want to see before exercising the put on WYNN?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom