The Investment Thread (4 Viewers)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Rumors that Amazon was looking into offering a live TV package as well, have now been confirmed.

Amazon creating live TV package - Business Insider
The rumor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201975120

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/tech/2017/05/23/amazon-prime-now-let-you-watch-tv-live/102046756/

confirmed.

No details on the pricing or offereings yet.

With Amazon getting into this arena, pushing the boundaries on retail, cloud services, etc. I really do wonder how large they can grow. As long as they keep their laser focus on customer service, speed and cost, I think they can do a lot.

I'm very glad I was able to buy a few shares a while back while it was trading in the $700's... or course, I wish I did this a year or two before when they were in the $400-500 range. Wow.

Today they hit $998/share ad are now hovering around $996.

Charlie Brizzown

Used to fish
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Why does anyone care what Bill Gates thinks about viruses? This is the man responsible for creating the most virus plagued operating system ever created. I would be more interested in what Steve Jobs would of said, about the situation. Not sure how Mr. Gates is an authority on anything to do with medicine, pretty sure he is a college drop out.

1586191478266.png
A computer virus isn't the same as a virus that infects humans.

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Why does anyone care what Bill Gates thinks about viruses? This is the man responsible for creating the most virus plagued operating system ever created. I would be more interested in what Steve Jobs would of said, about the situation. Not sure how Mr. Gates is an authority on anything to do with medicine, pretty sure he is a college drop out.

1586191478266.png
Because he's made fighting infectious disease his charitable priority over the last 20 or so years. He's literally putting billions into it. This is the man that is, at this very moment, having 7 factories built to produce a COVID19 vaccine, once it's ready. He is building 7 factories because he's identified 7 vaccines that are likely to get approved. He's building 7 with the expectation that 6 of them could be worthless. In other words, the man is trying to save everyone's hide..

So while he's not a scientist or doctor, he is VERY much better informed that 99.999% of people out there. He's been spending his money to fight malaria and develop new vaccines and cures for various diseases. And he's not doing it for profit either.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Because he's made fighting infectious disease his charitable priority over the last 20 or so years. He's literally putting billions into it. This is the man that is, at this very moment, having 7 factories built to produce a COVID19 vaccine, once it's ready. He is building 7 factories because he's identified 7 vaccines that are likely to get approved. He's building 7 with the expectation that 6 of them could be worthless. In other words, the man is trying to save everyone's hide..

So while he's not a scientist or doctor, he is VERY much better informed that 99.999% of people out there. He's been spending his money to fight malaria and develop new vaccines and cures for various diseases. And he's not doing it for profit either.
I agree - he's obviously a very intelligent human being - and he has taken on the pandemic risk as his primary charitable function, and believes that he can use his wealth to make mankind better (as many wealthy often do) - and this is how he's trying to do that.

He's been doing it for years and with massive investment, like you said. This isn't just some public person spouting off about the current crisis because they think they're worth listening to. This is Bill Gates's thing, he's very knowledgeable.

That doesn't mean he's right. But I don't he should be dismissed out of hand as boom is suggesting.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
1586195751932.png

Just not gonna take medical advice from a person who has a history of being reckless and endangering others saftey, but that's just me. Feel free to make your own decisions though.
i really thought your first post was more tongue in cheek ( apple v ms )

but apparently not.

Feel free to deride but just 10 min research will lead to you find out just how involved the Gates Foundation is regarding the fight against infectious disease.

Check out Pandemic ep 4 on Netflix.

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score

rob22278

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
bear trap as some refer to it.

suck in investors to think the market has turned the corner, then BAM. nope. but thanks for playin. lol
It’s people covering their shorts in the last 30 min of trading. That leads to more autobot purchasing into the close.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
I got slaughtered today. Few intraday trades helped but I got my brains beat in. Love all the optimism but so much bad news keeps coming and keeps getting ignored but Trump can get on the podium and lie about a drug or tell the country we will beat this "very soon" with no other explanation and the market soars. Oddest thing I've ever seen.

B4YOU

All-Pro
Reaction score
Uh wow. Market running to the close
I guess the market thinks the virus has peaked in US. Maybe people will just put everything on a credit card for 90 days and hope normal returns. Maybe I should just start buying on Friday and selling on Monday/Tuesday in response to under testing on Sundays.

I still don't get it; maybe I'm too pessimistic. Even if the US flat-lines at 25-30K cases per day for two or three weeks, it will be at least 4-6 weeks before stay at homes lift in some affected major metro areas.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I guess the market thinks the virus has peaked in US. Maybe people will just put everything on a credit card for 90 days and hope normal returns. Maybe I should just start buying on Friday and selling on Monday/Tuesday in response to under testing on Sundays.

I still don't get it; maybe I'm too pessimistic. Even if the US flat-lines at 25-30K cases per day for two or three weeks, it will be at least 4-6 weeks before stay at homes lift in some affected major metro areas.
Jamie Dimon sends out a letter that is published today expecting Q2 GDP down 35% and 14% unemployment.

Market soars.

i have no clue what is going on. None. and im not even talkin to my FA because as seasoned as he is, he too has no clue.

This is all nuts. Meanwhile i keep getting kicked in the nads by the feds.

I file unemployment for my oldest who had her employment terminated by YMCA ( she is a lifeguard ) so they CAN FILE for unemployment only to be told- you are ineligible. No explanation. Just that you dont qualify. So i try calling them.

2 hrs got me absolutely nowhere. Im done with all of it.

Im losing it. Im sitting here about to transfer some $$$ from my rainy day fund and cannot believe that the crux of the assistance is going to business/corporations that will game the system to enrich themselves. I just found out on payroll relief, they only want to know NUMBER of employees pre covid. No names. No SSN.
Sooooooo....that is ripe for gaming.

sheesh.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

1586191478266.png
Well, I wouldn't listen to Steve Jobs considering his approach to health care. :covri: He pretty much shortened his own life by decades by not treating a very treatable type of cancer.

Others have pretty much hit on why Gates understands a lot of the issues related to disease and epidemics.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom