The Investment Thread (16 Viewers)

No offense, but how can you possibly think that that was ‘dumb’?

I did the same thing, but purposely, in case of something like this (with less than $90k though ).. now i’m thanking my lucky stars that i didnt cave in to people (including a financial advisor friend) who told me i was crazy becuase i was missing out on ‘so many gains’ in the market.. the same market that’s a freaking lead balloon right now, and probably isnt done dropping.. sure, you dont want to be *entirely* in money markets, and i’,m not- but i dont think anyone who looks down on conservative investments like that is looking very smart right now.

It's dumb because of missing all the potential gains. Missing out on the crash is dumb luck.

It's dumb because of missing all the potential gains. Missing out on the crash is dumb luck.
Nope, missing out on the crash was common sense and basic math. Just had to do your own research. Anyone saying the virus wasn't going to spread to the USA was flat out ignoring the obvious or listening to politicians.

Sorry bro, but your opinion seems a little off... you realize that “all the potential gains” you could have had, would have just been wiped out over the last couple of weeks, right? This isnt a game of Monoploy we’re talking about, it’s reall dollars. .. Guess we’ll just have to.... wait for it..... agree to disagree.

If that $90k you have in money markets had been invested more aggresively, how much would it be worth today? i’m talking about *today* not how much would it have been worth 6 months ago, or 5 years from now.. You can always change direction, but keeping it in money markets for the last few years seems like it was pretty smart, even though you didnt intend it.

I made the mistake of looking at my 401k last week. I'm down like a couple hundred k. I'm still like 20 years out, so hopefully there will be a normal rebound in the next 10 years.

Thats the issue tho... Not 10 years... Think 15.especsilly if we get into 2014 dow territory. We won't rebound to 28k dow in a matter of months. It will take years.

I'm not down nearly that much, but I did enact stop losses back in Feb to limit my equities.
My fear is that this adds abt 5 years to getting back to 2020 levels.

And we still haven't factored in recession/depression. So many unknowns.

Watch g this presser, POTUS just said "redimisvir by Rgeneron".

My God Gilead has to be burning

He just needs to let the task force talk. He makes things so much worse.

Talking about "getting US open ver very soon". When asked when, talked abt flu.

Watch g this presser, POTUS just said "redimisvir by Rgeneron".

My God Gilead has to be burning

He just needs to let the task force talk. He makes things so much worse.

Talking about "getting US open ver very soon". When asked when, talked abt flu.
I heard all of that. I am just chalking it up that the guy is probably worn out. Maybe I am wrong.

I heard all of that. I am just chalking it up that the guy is probably worn out. Maybe I am wrong.
I'd agree, except it's not like this is a single or even few time event. So, he's been worn out for a long long time if it's the case.

Today's bounce feels like more than a dead cat bounce. Think we may actually see a bit of a short term rally. I'm not buying though. We're about to start stacking bodies and see stuff from hospitals that we never thought imaginable in the USA. Plus if Trump drops restrictions after 15 days then it's going to get worse again before it gets better. Also, there is now a very high chance of a second wave I think we go lower. A lot lower. I'll play gold up and inverse ETF's back down.

Today's bounce feels like more than a dead cat bounce. Think we may actually see a bit of a short term rally. I'm not buying though. We're about to start stacking bodies and see stuff from hospitals that we never thought imaginable in the USA. Plus if Trump drops restrictions after 15 days then it's going to get worse again before it gets better. Also, there is now a very high chance of a second wave I think we go lower. A lot lower. I'll play gold up and inverse ETF's back down.

I think a lot will depend on the hydrocloroquine trials. I think a bunch of good feel is coming from early reports. If turns out good, we could start seeing solid footing. If not, we could shed another 10 to 15 percent short term.

My plan was 2 more weeks (first week of April) to start getting back in market. I'm sticking to that plan. All of the equities I want are well off from where I sold at back in Feb. So worst case, I get back in at near where I left. Or best case, I pick up a bunch of discounted shares that I realllllly want.

Markets went berserk today. Up 11%? Good lawd. Anyone shorting got a nasty haircut today. :covri:

If this was a dead cat bounce, it was the biggest ever by a mile.

Edit: If Congress farts around tonight and doesn't pass anything tonight, I expect to see a bigger drop tomorrow than the gain today.

I wanted to throw more into Discover (DFS) a couple days ago, because they were trading around $24-25/share. But I had no idea how much lower they'd go. They were trading at $85/share late January, before a small drop, then a cliff.

They shot up 26.75% today.

Markets went berserk today. Up 11%? Good lawd. Anyone shorting got a nasty haircut today. :covri:

If this was a dead cat bounce, it was the biggest ever by a mile.

Edit: If Congress farts around tonight and doesn't pass anything tonight, I expect to see a bigger drop tomorrow than the gain today.
Funny, not funny, that it went up after it was insinuated that our leadership doesn't care if millions of people die as long as the stock market is healthy.

And by people they mean you, and me, and anybody else who is reading this or who you care about.

I managed to avoid the pain yesterday with shorts, even did well with NUGT. At the end of the session I picked up heavy positions in SDOW, looks like that haircut about to happen at opening bell today with futures up nicely.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom