The Investment Thread (6 Viewers)

Not an Oil expert, so not sure. But I think the contract on WTI Crude being up tomorrow has a lot to do with it. Definitely not normal though. At least not that I've ever seen.

it was akin to a short squeeze. All the May contracts were up yesterday. Those on the wrong side got hammered.

it was akin to a short squeeze. All the May contracts were up yesterday. Those on the wrong side got hammered.

That's true but the fundamentals that brought it (i.e. continuing to extract well above demand and with nowhere to put it) is a recipe for protracted depressed price.

It's similar to what happened in US agriculture in the 1930s.

Just made a long play gamble and bought 5k share of DO. I'm confident I'm going to lose that investment but if the company survives then could the return in the form of multiples.

Just made a long play gamble and bought 5k share of DO. I'm confident I'm going to lose that investment but if the company survives then could the return in the form of multiples.

chekc out Transocean - what a fall.

I wouldn't touch any offshore drillers. Diamond, Volaris, and Transocean will probably survive after declaring bankruptcy and zeroing out all common stock. The rest are done for due to huge debt obligations and having just recently emerged from bankruptcy proceedings.

Netflix released earnings. They added an eye popping 15.8 million (net, yeah, net) new subscribers, way ahead of the expected 8.2 million. That's pretty impressive. We'll see if their gains hold up this summer. Curious to see how many end subscriptions with so many out of work. I don't think they'll lose that much considering a subscription is $25 or less.

I do think people will end up cutting from 2-4 services to one. I think Netflix as a bit more staying power than the other options, so the others will get cut first imo.

I wouldn't touch any offshore drillers. Diamond, Volaris, and Transocean will probably survive after declaring bankruptcy and zeroing out all common stock. The rest are done for due to huge debt obligations and having just recently emerged from bankruptcy proceedings.
I agree. Thinking 75% chance they file bankruptcy. Shale will fail first though and government could bail out offshore companies. Let shale and offshore go bankrupt and it starts posing a national security problem. The upside would be huge if that happens. It is a gamble but like the pot odds.

How's it work if you're stuck holding a futures contract when it expires? Do you have to show up with a truck and get your barrel of oil? lol
Yup, they'll call you and ask you where you want your 5000 barrels delivered.

Actually the movie "Trading Places" paints a fairly accurate picture of the futures market in general

You cant just drop a post Iike that and then leave us hanging.

You obviously dont have to get into specifics of how much $ or what company, but are you investing in some sort of doomsday scenario that will pay off if society collapses or something? I’m intrigued.
yeah but so what if you get paid a million dollars but now live in a society that conducts all trade by barter :hihi:

You could now use that million as...toilet paper!

Maybe ok to post this question here. With the National debt headed to 25T what would happen if like most in over their heads the country default on it. Now would be a good time to reset it seems.

Maybe ok to post this question here. With the National debt headed to 25T what would happen if like most in over their heads the country default on it. Now would be a good time to reset it seems.

Lots of things, most of them bad. We would lose our status as the world reserve currency. We would lose pretty much all pull internationally. We'd probably be removed from the UN and NATO and all of that. We would either lose trade relations with almost every country in the world, or at least see absurdly high tariffs that would make it almost impossible to sell our goods overseas and participate in global markets.

And that's all if China did not decide to start World War 3 over it, which is possible.

Lots of things, most of them bad. We would lose our status as the world reserve currency. We would lose pretty much all pull internationally. We'd probably be removed from the UN and NATO and all of that. We would either lose trade relations with almost every country in the world, or at least see absurdly high tariffs that would make it almost impossible to sell our goods overseas and participate in global markets.

And that's all if China did not decide to start World War 3 over it, which is possible.
That's all bad - no doubt. But, it sure seems and brick wall is out there somewhere so it seems inevitable to me that something has to give.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom