The Investment Thread (11 Viewers)

Maybe ok to post this question here. With the National debt headed to 25T what would happen if like most in over their heads the country default on it. Now would be a good time to reset it seems.
You print it away and see what inflation does.

There's not perfect solution, but money is weird.

And I'm not sure what you mean by reset?

That's all bad - no doubt. But, it sure seems and brick wall is out there somewhere so it seems inevitable to me that something has to give.

Not necessarily. If there is an economy in the world who can absorb this kind of debt, it's the US. Even with the CV19 and increased debt. The fact that interest rates are at or near record lows allows us to be able to absorb that to a large degree.

I'm not really too worried yet.

That's all bad - no doubt. But, it sure seems and brick wall is out there somewhere so it seems inevitable to me that something has to give.

If you're really interested in diving in, read up on MMT (modern money theory). There are a lot of economists out there who don't think that debt matters.

I'm not quite that far to that side of things, but there are some fundamentals of what they theorize that make good arguments for deficit spending not being nearly as big of a deal as we've thought for a long time (as our presidents have continued to deficit spend).

If I were going to invest in the airlines (which I'm not, haha, other than musing about the fact that eventually whoever survives has to bounce back), I'd probably pick South West and/or Delta. Southwest just doesn't have International exposure, so that won't impact them much. The Max 8 business screws them up though, but they've been working around that.

I just like Delta as an airline though. I think they run the company well.

Jet Blue is a maybe, but I don't have a good feel for them.

What other hit sectors do you think are more likely to bounce back faster? Financials? lots of credit card companies and banks have been hammered.

Oil up 20%. Unemployment adds another 4.4M, but the estimate was 4.3M, so not a surprise. I'm still thinking these levels or higher will hold for a bit - the bias from the Covid situation will be neutral to positive for the near term as restrictions get lifted.

Oil is still very precarious. And sobering news about the full impact will be what to look out for . . . but seems like markets are propped up by optimism and Fed liquidity, so there's a lot of support right now.

Oil up 20%. Unemployment adds another 4.4M, but the estimate was 4.3M, so not a surprise. I'm still thinking these levels or higher will hold for a bit - the bias from the Covid situation will be neutral to positive for the near term as restrictions get lifted.

Oil is still very precarious. And sobering news about the full impact will be what to look out for . . . but seems like markets are propped up by optimism and Fed liquidity, so there's a lot of support right now.
Just do the opposite of what I do. I bought oil about March 5 during the Saudi/Russian spat. Only down 24%. I just tell myself I got my tax loss harvest position in play early.

Well, the was a reverse 1 for 5 overnight, so it's not that kind of a gain. But it's up almost 30% since yesterday morning.

OHHHHHHHHHHH ok

i was about to say- YOU'RE RICH, BIOTCH!!!!! PARTY AT CHUCKS HOUSE!!!!!

lololol

I still say we go with party at Chuck's house!

Well, my house is under contract for sale - we put it on the market on March 16, we had been preparing for that since December. The realtor said to go ahead and do it, so we did.

But when they canceled school (that same week) we packed up and came up to my parents' place on the NC coast. I've been here since March 18. But that allowed our realtor to have the house in show-ready shape and for us to not have to worry about people coming in the house with virus.

We didn't have any physical showings but after three virtual showings, we're under contract with a family moving in from Colorado. It's pretty crazy.

But I'm boiling crawfish tomorrow here in NC. Y'all come.

Well, my house is under contract for sale - we put it on the market on March 16, we had been preparing for that since December. The realtor said to go ahead and do it, so we did.

But when they canceled school (that same week) we packed up and came up to my parents' place on the NC coast. I've been here since March 18. But that allowed our realtor to have the house in show-ready shape and for us to not have to worry about people coming in the house with virus.

We didn't have any physical showings but after three virtual showings, we're under contract with a family moving in from Colorado. It's pretty crazy.

But I'm boiling crawfish tomorrow here in NC. Y'all come.

crap- under contract.

Aint nuttn like a house party in a vacant house up for sale.

missed the window by a week or two. dang.

yeah im all crawfished out. i still have about 5lbs of frozen tails from the last 2 berls. Pour a lil out for the brothas that aint dere. ;)

But enjoy. you get off easy this time. Next time im Trveling with Unlce Jim lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom