The Investment Thread (5 Viewers)

Today isn't really a selloff. Money is just moving back into a narrow batch of stocks. The breadth of this rally is so thin, it's a bit of a mirage. But it's not clear whether the tide will start to lift others and fill out the base - or if it will topple like tower.

Amazon is obviously the most favored. Netflix is rock solid on these days. And Chipotle has sneakily become a fund favorite. I don't know, I took profits a day early and got a couple of short positions (SDOW and EMTY), but mostly cash at the moment.

Today isn't really a selloff. Money is just moving back into a narrow batch of stocks. The breadth of this rally is so thin, it's a bit of a mirage. But it's not clear whether the tide will start to lift others and fill out the base - or if it will topple like tower.

Amazon is obviously the most favored. Netflix is rock solid on these days. And Chipotle has sneakily become a fund favorite. I don't know, I took profits a day early and got a couple of short positions (SDOW and EMTY), but mostly cash at the moment.
I closed my SDOW this morning when SP dropped to 2900. Pretty solid resistance there. If it breaks it for sustainable amount of time I'll jump back in. It's rubbing against it right now.

LYV long play yesterday afternoon triggered, then sold, then jumped on the short just before the bell and sold it at the open. Day trading has been fun today but right now it's at a break point again and could move up or down big so have triggers set on either side.

Sleeper play may be the VIX.

Best play today has been SCO. Grabbed it at the bottom and just sold it.

I sold my airline stocks (DAL, UAL, LUV) bought 2 days ago today before closing for some nice gains. All cash now and looking to buy airlines again when they pull back.
I'm somewhat opposite. I wanted to buy DAL a few days ago. Talked myself out of it, missed the big bounce. However, longer term, I see them coming out of this ok. They've already established they will put everyone in a mask. They have a good cash position. They're a well run company. There is no risk to bankruptcy. Their stock price is way under valued.

LUV would be another good one, but I'm not a fan of their masks optional stance. I think they'll join the rest to make it mandatory. Also, almost no international exposure is very attractive.

AA is the one I'd avoid like the plague. Higher debt load, and not the best run airline.

I also don't want to have too much exposure into the airlines, since my company is dependent on that sector, so I already have a TON of exposure there.

Should have listened to myself and bet the VIX. Plan was to buy tomorrow morning thinking it would get rocky on Friday afternoon. Dow futures are down more than 400 points at the moment. Looks like the market has been trading on technicals and all those buy flags switched to sell when the S&P hit broke back below 2900. Question will be, how low will it go?

Both times I wanted to short Tesla I didn't and the bottom fell out. I tried to the 2nd time but missed my target and didn't want to chase. Should have chased.

LYV short paid nicely the last two days. I covered and currently holding no positions headed into the weekend. Not sure if we are going to see a bounce on Monday or a bloodbath in futures. If we have a bloodbath in futures does the FED come in and make some other announcement.

Both times I wanted to short Tesla I didn't and the bottom fell out. I tried to the 2nd time but missed my target and didn't want to chase. Should have chased.

LYV short paid nicely the last two days. I covered and currently holding no positions headed into the weekend. Not sure if we are going to see a bounce on Monday or a bloodbath in futures. If we have a bloodbath in futures does the FED come in and make some other announcement.

I'm sitting on on two short positions, SDOW and EMTY, and trying to decide whether to pull out or let it roll through the weekend.

If Georgia really is seeing a spike in new cases, I don't think that's going to be well received.

I'm sitting on on two short positions, SDOW and EMTY, and trying to decide whether to pull out or let it roll through the weekend.

If Georgia really is seeing a spike in new cases, I don't think that's going to be well received.
I added short position on American Airlines. Several firms downgraded and some have price targets as low as $1. I placed the short at $10.70. Think I'll hold it through the weekend.

Also thinking about rolling with TZA over the weekend which is a 3x bear etf on small caps. I'm not scared of the market going up. I'm scared of the FED.

I feel so stupid buying CHEW last week.. i placed my first order with them, and thought i was being clever by investing in something I’m starting to actually use.. Wouldnt you know it’s 10 days later, the items haven’t even shipped yet, and I’m close to asking for a refund.. and my poor dog is sitting here starving to death (okay that last part isnt true).. and of course the stock has dropped in value... Ordinarily my stock in Tesla would be my saving grace, but of course Musk‘s latest antics have sent that tumbling too.. Jeez Louise.

what could the Fed possibly say at this point?

what could the Fed possibly say at this point?
They could announce that they have started buying coporate bonds. They said they would if needed but them actually doing it would boost energy, travel, entertainment and restaurant stocks with a quickness. They could ramp up a whole lot.

POTUS could come out and say a bunch of lies and make it shoot up. He's only done it a dozen or so times since January to make the market jump.

I ended up holding small short positions in AAL, LYV, long NUGT and long TZA. Mostly sitting in cash. Day trading a lot easier to predict what direction the market will go but the big movement has been in the after hours and futures market and the crumbs get fought over during the day.

I feel so stupid buying CHEW last week.. i placed my first order with them, and thought i was being clever by investing in something I’m starting to actually use.. Wouldnt you know it’s 10 days later, the items haven’t even shipped yet, and I’m close to asking for a refund.. and my poor dog is sitting here starving to death (okay that last part isnt true).. and of course the stock has dropped in value... Ordinarily my stock in Tesla would be my saving grace, but of course Musk‘s latest antics have sent that tumbling too.. Jeez Louise.
I have two orders waiting to ship. Not even food. I'm about to cancel one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom