The Investment Thread (10 Viewers)

This friggin’ market.. i checked at 2:57pm, 3 min before market close, to see that it was down 438 for the day.. ok, fine, I can close the app and put this week to bed...... Then i happen to look up at the tv screen at 3pm and see that it closed down 622 for the day?! Jeez Louise.

That's not unusual, drops like that into the close were really common during the big downturn during the great recession. We're not anywhere near that, but it's something to watch during the Monday open.

This friggin’ market.. i checked at 2:57pm, 3 min before market close, to see that it was down 438 for the day.. ok, fine, I can close the app and put this week to bed...... Then i happen to look up at the tv screen at 3pm and see that it closed down 622 for the day?! Jeez Louise.

There is going to be some good buying opportunities coming up. Im just miffed i got into Apple a bit early yesterday.

These are the times when my staid, boring income investment approach makes me feel snuggly and warm. 2019 not so much.

There is going to be some good buying opportunities coming up. Im just miffed i got into Apple a bit early yesterday.

This will be good for me. I paid off my house a few months ago and haven't gotten back in yet. There's some decent swirl now which means I should be able to find some value somewhere.

Robinhood lets NEW investors buy up to FIVE total shares of GME.
If you own 1, you can only buy 4 more.
If you own more than 5, you are still locked out today.

During the day, Robinhood changed this to TWO shares, when GME was at it highest trading point.

Soon after they changed this to ONE share.

A few years ago I went into a Gamestop looking for something after I got a console for Christmas. There was no one in there and I was so horrified I shorted the stock at just above $18. I didn't keep the position that long, I think I covered a couple of months later, around $16.

I posted that trade here -

But it was purely because I went into one and said "Dear Lord how are these people operating!"
Lol about that same time I went in a Gamestop looking for a stuffed Pokemon thing that my 2-1/2 year old grandson wanted. Same experience but there were four people in the store -- the guy working there and three of his non-customer tabletop gaming friends talking to him about playing Dungeons & Dragons. Of course, they didn't have what I needed so I looked around for maybe 20 minutes trying to find something else. In that time, the only other person who came in was a frazzled 40-something mother with a game name on a slip of paper from her teenager. Of course, they didn't have what she needed either.

Here's the kicker: it was 2 days BEFORE Christmas.

I had the same thought as you did but, after a bad hedge fund experience about 15 years ago (that I'm still waiting to liquidate and return my last $8k of value), I swore I'd never come near shorting anything ever again.

This will be good for me. I paid off my house a few months ago and haven't gotten back in yet. There's some decent swirl now which means I should be able to find some value somewhere.

im jelly. oof shedding a house note sounds soooooooooooo liberating.

unfortunately i have new home ( ur welcome wifey ) a graduate coming who SWEARS she wants to go to Loyola U ( which we are thrilled for "close to home" but then i saw Tuition/Fees and nearly passed out )

So im a tad behind you in that regard. lolol. But its a goal that i inch toward each day.

ok boomer. ;)
Lol actually I’m much more of a Depression baby — I’m technically a boomer but the Depression lived so strong in my old man that it passed on to me. Add in a bad hedge fund experience a while back and I’m satisfied with my boring blue chip dividends and municipal bond interest, thanks very much.

But I do enjoy coming to this thread and living vicariously through you guys now and again!

Lol actually I’m much more of a Depression baby — I’m technically a boomer but the Depression lived so strong in my old man that it passed on to me. Add in a bad hedge fund experience a while back and I’m satisfied with my boring blue chip dividends and municipal bond interest, thanks very much.

But I do enjoy coming to this thread and living vicariously through you guys now and again!

You are doing better then some of my relatives in the same age range. They lived through sky-high interest rates in the 80's, and still have the vast majority of their money in crappy cd's.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom