The Investment Thread (14 Viewers)

Tin foil hat time: If brokerages play fair - I think a huge event is going to happen. This could be epic.

Funny enough, when GME started to pop in the last hour, so did AMC. Just not as much.

Tin foil hat time: If brokerages play fair - I think a huge event is going to happen. This could be epic.
I hope so. It was going to happen last time and they killed it. I hope that those who lost find a way to win this time. May it go to $5k / share

No it’s not. The NYSE halts trading all the time on volatile stocks during the trading day. This is not anything new.
Im genuinely curious - before this recent wave - what was the last few stocks that halted trading? Seems like you know if multiple examples. Again, just curious.

And for clarification- I’m referencing traders not being able to purchase stock but being freely capable of selling that said stock.

Im genuinely curious - before this recent wave - what was the last few stocks that halted trading? Seems like you know if multiple examples. Again, just curious.

And for clarification- I’m referencing traders not being able to purchase stock but being freely capable of selling that said stock.

Lots. Even just this month. it happens a lot.

Newbie investor tax question regarding short term gains vs long term:

Say I purchase a particular stock several times over 1 year (equal shares every 4 months). I decide to start taking profits just after 1 yr has elapsed from my original purchase. Are the tax implications based just on the date of my original entry position, or is it more complicated? Even if I close my position entirely less than a year after my last purchase?

Bayer announced yesterday that it is selling off its environmental science division. This is golf, landscape, greenhouse, and professional pest management (spiders cockroaches).

A big financial firm could buy it. But if it was another company- my best guess would be Corteva.

Newbie investor tax question regarding short term gains vs long term:

Say I purchase a particular stock several times over 1 year (equal shares every 4 months). I decide to start taking profits just after 1 yr has elapsed from my original purchase. Are the tax implications based just on the date of my original entry position, or is it more complicated? Even if I close my position entirely less than a year after my last purchase?

Each purchase would be taxed independently. Any sold after 1+ years from purchase date would fall under long term gains, less than 1 year would be short term gains.

If you only sell some of your position, usually brokers will let you elect the selling order. I think the default is usually 'sell oldest first'.

If you only sell some of your position, usually brokers will let you elect the selling order. I think the default is usually 'sell oldest first'.

They call it FIFO (First In First Out) and is usually the default Cost Basis setting. If you want to sell your newest shares first, then it's LIFO (Last In First Out).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom