The Investment Thread (11 Viewers)

So in the hearing today it was made clear that FINRA (who changed how they published short interest data after the January run up) is run out of the same office building as Citadel. Shocker.

Where did you see this?

It is very clear that Gary Gensler is on the side of retail. We have an ally there. He has to choose his words carefully, but he definitely has it out for the hedge funds.

It is very clear that Gary Gensler is on the side of retail. We have an ally there. He has to choose his words carefully, but he definitely has it out for the hedge funds.
I hope so. I don’t like how some of them are suggesting retail is the problem. They paint it as saying it’s like a child playing with knives for the first time.

What’s the problem? That for the first time a very large group of retail investors figured out what to do when big banks manipulate the stocks. And that’s to hold. No matter how hard they shake the tree. Just hold. When you own the float - you have the bags that the HFs need.

I hope so. I don’t like how some of them are suggesting retail is the problem. They paint it as saying it’s like a child playing with knives for the first time.

What’s the problem? That for the first time a very large group of retail investors figured out what to do when big banks manipulate the stocks. And that’s to hold. No matter how hard they shake the tree. Just hold. When you own the float - you have the bags that the HFs need.

Yep, the bottom line is hedge funds got caught being reckless and smart investors figured out how to take advantage of it.

As the SEC Commissioner said last week, it's the hedge funds risk assessment that needs evaluation, not social media/retail investors.

Jobs number is a big miss. I think yesterday's rally was hoping for something better.

Jobs number is a big miss. I think yesterday's rally was hoping for something better.

That’s what happens when it’s more lucrative to stay home and collect benefits than to go back to work. Anyone that didn’t see this coming is blind.
There are 8 million job openings right now. Anyone can get a job that wants one.

That'd really not a good number. Something to watch going forward. I do think the unemployment benefits is slowing the return to work.

It's hard to say given the unusual circumstances still related to the pandemic. Are some people still afraid to return to work in some sectors (with high public/customer interface, like fast food for example)? Are some people not returning to work due to child care issues (e.g. the children are still in remote schooling or the day care continues to be closed)? Have some previously employed payroll employees found alternative gig-based (e.g. Uber or DoorDash) income that better fits their schedule or needs, particularly as the pandemic continues?

I don't think these are trivial questions.

It's hard to say given the unusual circumstances still related to the pandemic. Are some people still afraid to return to work in some sectors (with high public/customer interface, like fast food for example)? Are some people not returning to work due to child care issues (e.g. the children are still in remote schooling or the day care continues to be closed)? Have some previously employed payroll employees found alternative gig-based (e.g. Uber or DoorDash) income that better fits their schedule or needs, particularly as the pandemic continues?

I don't think these are trivial questions.

Agreed.

That’s what happens when it’s more lucrative to stay home and collect benefits than to go back to work. Anyone that didn’t see this coming is blind.
There are 8 million job openings right now. Anyone can get a job that wants one.
First off, everything that Chuck said in terms of child care, maybe health risk, concern about how the place is treating Covid.. I know some who just won't go back to a restaurant without certain conditions or changes.

Secondly, I want to push back on this a bit. In some cases, you're probably right. But it's a lot more complicated that job vs no job.

My group has two job openings.. one for a technician one for an engineer. We had two tech openings, we filled one a while back, but the other, we can't find anyone worth bringing in (probably my boss's fault, honestly). For the engineering position, we want a recent grad (i..e don't want to pay), however, a lot of the bites we've gotten on that are from people with more experience who are out of our budget. So, the job sits unfilled, yet there are workers out there, just over qualified in that case.

You have a lot of job openings in certain fields that actually are competing with ultra LOW unemployment. So, some of these job openings can't be filled by the people unemployed. i.e. a lot of white collar jobs, but blue collar unemployed.

My wife just graduated with her Masters in Social work. She's getting a lot of interviews and a few, what I'd call, near offers (she politely declined two before they even were formalized). To add, she has $0 in benefits coming in. Why did she turn those two jobs down so fast? The first one, their pay offer was so low, she was making more with his bachelors. The second one, was sort of a "contractor", and you get paid per the client, not a salary. So you "could" make a certain amount, but you also may not. And the case load was like 2-3 times more than what any clinician would honestly be able to handle.

There are others places that still have an issue with Tattoo's meaning you can't be professional, or that have other odd issues. Some jobs require very specific certifications and licenses, that are actually well below someone's education level, but they just don't know any other way of filling the position.

There was one job, I kid you not, that is for an Addiction Recovery place, that the certification they wanted, actually can only be obtained if the person is a Current recovering Addict in a half way house, AND has gotten their Bachelors or Master's Degree. Like, you need to be educated, get addicted, get clean.. or you need to finish school while in recovery.. who the hell came up with that certification?

Going back to me, for a while last year I was furloughed for 2 days a week for a couple months. The money I got from the State, with federal benefits, make it almost a break even for me, for only missing 2 days of work a week. If I was laid off, the benefits wouldn't be enough to pay the bills. We'd have major cuts. Also, I can't just find another job in my field here. We'd have to move or work remotely, if I could even get an interview. Because even with a need, a lot of companies don't want to pay for the expertise.

As always, I find the sort of discussions around ending employment benefits or not fascinating. I think it really highlights the danger we have now where people appear to be living in separate realities, and entrenchment in positions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom