The Investment Thread (15 Viewers)

So, if someone has kids, and they get laid off, they should attempt to move into a cheap 1 bedroom apartment to survive? Will $20/day in food feed 2-3 people?

I mean, you're talking $1200... so $600 rent, $600 food ($20/day times 30 days is $600). I guess Utilities and gasoline are free? Let's say your utilities are $300. That leaves you $10/day for food. This assumes just minimal car insurance, no car payment. or if you're unemployed for 12-30 weeks, you sell your car too?
With kids it makes it nearly impossible, yes.

And I said it wasn't glamorous, though is a car something that everyone deserves to have, paid for by the government?

With kids it makes it nearly impossible, yes.

And I said it wasn't glamorous, though is a car something that everyone deserves to have, paid for by the government?

how do you find a job with no car? Is the bus free? what do you do with your child(ren) while you are bussing around looking for work? sitter/day care?

This is a massive issue in this country and i have no real understanding why folks have such a hard time with a living wage.

how do you find a job with no car? Is the bus free? what do you do with your child(ren) while you are bussing around looking for work? sitter/day care?

This is a massive issue in this country and i have no real understanding why folks have such a hard time with a living wage.
They simply lack empathy imo.

I support a living wage, I'm just trying to clarify what exactly it looks like (and playing a bit of devil's advocate).

Sure, I think a free public transit pass can be included for unemployed and low-income persons. There are daycare options out there that give affordable rates to low-income families (though there should be more). Living wage for those without dependents should also be lower than living wage for those with dependents.

You're right, the economy and politics in this country are set up to keep the rich rich and the poor poor. There's a lot of rhetoric about "the American Dream", but that isn't the reality for most people any more. I don't think a living wage fixes that, but it does raise the low-water mark for quality of life.

I think people get too hung up on “deserve” and “fair”, and should instead focus on if something is effective or not.

it feels to me like if I could prove that giving the poorest 100,000 people in this country $100k per year from the government, the deficit would go down, crime would go down and the economy would book without inflation, a lot of people would howl over how unfair that is. Please note I’m not saying that is an actual policy recommendation, just an example how people focus on the wrong thing

Decades of socioeconomic and political conditioning. Given enough time the people don't realize how much things have changed to their detriment. At this point the Fight for 15 movement has been going on long enough that 15 is no longer enough. The solutions to many of American problems economically are blatantly obvious but we simply have no course to achieve them under the system we live in.

Are people still gambling their money on this coin?

Wouldn’t shock me if there is some dude scrambling around right now trying to find where he stored a billion doge coins from several years ago.

CAD to USD.

Attachments

• 764F25FA-95F8-4056-BDA2-9E3828D4B2EE.jpeg
    764F25FA-95F8-4056-BDA2-9E3828D4B2EE.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 10
I think people get too hung up on “deserve” and “fair”, and should instead focus on if something is effective or not.

it feels to me like if I could prove that giving the poorest 100,000 people in this country $100k per year from the government, the deficit would go down, crime would go down and the economy would book without inflation, a lot of people would howl over how unfair that is. Please note I’m not saying that is an actual policy recommendation, just an example how people focus on the wrong thing

Utilitarian ethics can go real wrong real fast.

Everything in a human system can go real wrong real fast

Haha. Let me rephrase in a way that does not self own quite so much. Utilitarian ethics is not invalid because it lacks utility, though that is certainly true. It's invalid because it is not sufficient in recognizing actual ethic and virtue. In other words, the ends don't justify the means.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom