The Investment Thread (6 Viewers)

Just looked.. 162%.

NVDA is up almost 94%, and the Fidelity S&P500 is up around 55% since my last adjustment (and dividends too).

What's crazy, and maybe stupid, is about two years ago, I sold some AMZN, and then bought back in. But because I split that money, I bought less shares.

Stupid, I had like 7 shares of AMZN, now I only have 3. I just didn't like having that much tied up to one company..lol.

Could you imagine if you had put everything in AMZN when you bought yourself back in?

Could you imagine if you had put everything in AMZN when you bought yourself back in?

Thanks....

And yes, I probably could have bought 9-10 shares then, if I put all my eggs in their basket. Of course, that went against my mantra of keeping a portion in the S&P500.

A few months back I was considering taking some gains from my AMZN position but decided against it. Up 400% at the moment.

My China tech positions are killing me. Too much uncertainty with regulations, thinking about getting out of Tencent.

Going back to Pandora.. can someone help me decipher this.. are they predicting a drop or an increase?

Is the Options Market Predicting a Spike in Pandora Media (P) Stock?

Neither - just predicting a bigger move than trend deviation based on the option activity. Could be up, could be down down. It’s about volatility, not price per se. If you accept the premise that the implied volatility is projecting a move, (it might not happen), it’s hard to say which is more likely. The trend has been up and it could take another leg up on trend. Or it could be a contrarian move as traders take profit and sellers think that the move is over for now.

Options are gambling - it’s quite different than buying and selling stock.

Just to add to ^, a common option strategy relies on spreads to bracket stock moves - so the play would win if the stock moves x% one way or the other. So if you anticipate volatility, you can make the spread play and cash in on a move on either side of the bracket, down or up.

Just another illustration of how options strategy can be divorced from investing in the underlying stock.

Neither - just predicting a bigger move than trend deviation based on the option activity. Could be up, could be down down. It’s about volatility, not price per se. If you accept the premise that the implied volatility is projecting a move, (it might not happen), it’s hard to say which is more likely. The trend has been up and it could take another leg up on trend. Or it could be a contrarian move as traders take profit and sellers think that the move is over for now.

Options are gambling - it’s quite different than buying and selling stock.

Thanks. What confused me was the price at $8 (8 dollar call). I thought that was the price they were assuming it was moving to. But it's $8 to bet on volatility?

Going back to Pandora.. can someone help me decipher this.. are they predicting a drop or an increase?

Is the Options Market Predicting a Spike in Pandora Media (P) Stock?
They don't know if it'll go up or down, but are expecting a big move one way or the other (usually due to some catalyst coming soon, whether it is earnings or some other important news). Usually the more volatile a stock is the higher the premium, or price, of an option contract. They are basically telling options investors that Pandora is highly volatile right now and if you want high premium, now is the time to sell a call or put.

So, is all of Tech losing out, because FB is up on the Hill again today and people are freaking out?

hahahaha that name.

"Stop Bad Employers by Zeroing Out Subsidies, or BEZOS, Act "

It should be the Stop BEZOS act or sBEZOS, or SBEZOS.

Tech mostly down again today.. regardless of exposure to Crypto. This another sector shift?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom