The Investment Thread

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Ratings
Sticky Post
Rumors that Amazon was looking into offering a live TV package as well, have now been confirmed.

Amazon creating live TV package - Business Insider
The rumor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201975120

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/tech/2017/05/23/amazon-prime-now-let-you-watch-tv-live/102046756/

confirmed.

No details on the pricing or offereings yet.

With Amazon getting into this arena, pushing the boundaries on retail, cloud services, etc. I really do wonder how large they can grow. As long as they keep their laser focus on customer service, speed and cost, I think they can do a lot.

I'm very glad I was able to buy a few shares a while back while it was trading in the $700's... or course, I wish I did this a year or two before when they were in the $400-500 range. Wow.

Today they hit $998/share ad are now hovering around $996.

OP
OP
Saint_Ward

Saint_Ward

Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Ratings
So, where's the bottom here for Tech as a whole?

NVDA getting hammered for specific reasons, AMZN getting hammered as the sector is being hammered... CRM being hammered, I think for overall questionable strength in the cloud?

I feel like I need to dump half my portfolio.. and I was a day late and a dollar short.

TXSAINTFAN

Music is Life
Diamond VIP Contributor
Ratings

NVDA getting hammered for specific reasons, AMZN getting hammered as the sector is being hammered... CRM being hammered, I think for overall questionable strength in the cloud?

I feel like I need to dump half my portfolio.. and I was a day late and a dollar short.
I feel you.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Ratings
Analysts keep saying to leave your IRAs and 401(k)s alone (outside of quarterly re-balancing), but damn, that is so hard to do considering how things look.

efil4stnias

ppfffffttttt
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Analysts keep saying to leave your IRAs and 401(k)s alone (outside of quarterly re-balancing), but damn, that is so hard to do considering how things look.
At this point, im still a hair up on NVDA and 10% on AMZN - so i get what they are saying. This was a massive correction, one i think that grew legs and outran itself.

Add to it, the market emotion, the China tariffs that are to go to 25% Jan 1, all this looming in the distance, puts folks on edge. So when guidance comes out thats somewhat negative, these folks run with it.

Tough market right now. Im not even looking at my balance because i know its gotta be close to 15% Total value ive lost and that will make me ill. lol.

edit: ya made me look...10% roughly. so not as bad as i thought. But interesting as i looked at chart...same drop in Dec 2014-Jan 2015...about a 10-15% correction. Leveled off in Feb, wallowed even for about a year and things began to appreciated in Feb 2016.

Interested to see if this happens yet again.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Ratings
At this point, im still a hair up on NVDA and 10% on AMZN - so i get what they are saying. This was a massive correction, one i think that grew legs and outran itself.

Add to it, the market emotion, the China tariffs that are to go to 25% Jan 1, all this looming in the distance, puts folks on edge. So when guidance comes out thats somewhat negative, these folks run with it.

Tough market right now. Im not even looking at my balance because i know its gotta be close to 15% Total value ive lost and that will make me ill. lol.

edit: ya made me look...10% roughly. so not as bad as i thought. But interesting as i looked at chart...same drop in Dec 2014-Jan 2015...about a 10-15% correction. Leveled off in Feb, wallowed even for about a year and things began to appreciated in Feb 2016.

Interested to see if this happens yet again.
You guys are about at the same spot I pulled out this time last year when I was expecting mostly sideways action before the Bull began to fall. Would have stayed in a little longer but the fed was sitting near 0 at the time and they had to do something. I'm not trying to time the high and the low, just think I can cut off some of the big movement in between. When I buy back in, doubt it'll be at the low point but really confident I'll come in at a much lower point than when I stepped out.

Brown

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Ratings

I have no answer but I can add some perspective;

With the drops in tech, I have started to consider the sector. If I’m considering buying, why would you consider selling?

efil4stnias

ppfffffttttt
VIP Contributor
Ratings

With the drops in tech, I have started to consider the sector. If I’m considering buying, why would you consider selling?

i actually increased my position in AMZN, NVDA and MSFT last Tuesday. ( but let it be known it was my adviser who called to say lets buy some - i would have prolly waited another week and here we are, climbing again )

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Ratings
I've been keeping an eye on my VMware stock and DAAAAAAAYUUUUUUM. Pending approval by Dell shareholders, I'll be getting maybe $22-25 per share in a one time dividend as Dell kills the tracking stock and goes public.

OP
OP
Saint_Ward

Saint_Ward

Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Ratings

It was more of a "is the bottom still going further and should we abandon all hope"? Or has it already hit bottom and just ride it out.

Seems like the second option, since AMZN and others are bouncing back. Again, NVDA had specific issues, so I'm looking at them differently. Is NVDA just a bad play or not?

Probably should have taken the profit a while back when they were flirting with 280/share. I thought about it, but kept faith in the company, then they burned us all with really bad projections.

superchuck500

cha-ching
VIP Subscribing Member
Diamond VIP Contributor
Ratings
I've been keeping an eye on my VMware stock and DAAAAAAAYUUUUUUM. Pending approval by Dell shareholders, I'll be getting maybe $22-25 per share in a one time dividend as Dell kills the tracking stock and goes public.
It’s been great since about $90. I had it at
$90 but then sold out at $98 taking a quick profit - it ran up to $150 but then pulled back on one of the tech drops and I grabbed it for about $116 or so.

Great company, great stock.

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Ratings
It’s been great since about $90. I had it at
$90 but then sold out at $98 taking a quick profit - it ran up to $150 but then pulled back on one of the tech drops and I grabbed it for about $116 or so.

Great company, great stock.
I got REALLY lucky. I had 600 shares issued at $45. I haven't sold any of it and last bit vests in April. I still need to do a lot of research on what I should do with that money when I do sell it. The only thing I know is that I'll keep investing it but diversify.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.