The Investment Thread (9 Viewers)

how so?

and rates are ticking up. what are you talking about?

Providing cover for a certain demographic doesnt sit well with me. My counter is you had your opportunity to save/invest...you made choices that either allowed or didnt allow. Either way, you are asking the GOVERNMENT to help you out thru monetary policy that will benefit boomers only???? rrrrrreally brown???
I’m not saying that they should be in the business of helping any demographic as a matter of policy.

If we’re going to have a fed (debatable) and they are responsible for “controling” rates then they should be realistic about what is adequate.
I’ve felt as though they’ve been artificially keeping rates low for decades.

I think we can afford to see rates a bit higher and if the fed doesn’t do it, I think the market will

Markets popping up today. we'll see if it last or just an AM buying spree.

I actually think rates need to tick up a bit.

I have been fristrated for over 20 years about the fed rate policy which I deemed to be rigged.

Sure it’ll hurt the housing market for a bit and stocks, but There are a lot of boomers that can take advantage of the higher rates through bonds or even cd’s.

Rates are still at historical lows

That’s loco! (Per DJT).

I agree that it is good that we’re moving toward normal rates - I just think the whole thing should be data dependent and I think for the most part, it has been (even when the rates were low for a long time).

S&p 500 div yield is lower than the 10 year treasury.

Doesn’t this typically spell trouble for stocks?

yep very much so.

i think the market is getting overheated
;)S&P is down 5.1% since my prophetic post. (Patting myself on the back) I’d expect a bit more shakeout.
Political season will keep it choppy

Last edited:
I have purchased very few stocks over the last couple years. They mostly seem overpriced to me.

Now the question is when to put the cash I have been accumulating back in the market, a question made more difficult with rising rates. All of a sudden muni bonds are looking like they might be attractive again one day. The returns on muni bonds still need to get to the 4% and over range for me to jump in.

I am content sitting on cash now. I'll put in a little on a 10% pullback, a good bit more on a 20% correction.

I have not sold a stock in years but for GE, a stock I loved once but finally decided their mgt was killing the company. Most all of my stocks now have good cash to withstand downturns and pay, on average, a 3 and 1/2 percent dividend. I used to auto-reinvest the dividends, but about ten years ago began letting the money go to cash.

I have purchased very few stocks over the last couple years. They mostly seem overpriced to me.

Now the question is when to put the cash I have been accumulating back in the market, a question made more difficult with rising rates. All of a sudden muni bonds are looking like they might be attractive again one day. The returns on muni bonds still need to get to the 4% and over range for me to jump in.

I am content sitting on cash now. I'll put in a little on a 10% pullback, a good bit more on a 20% correction.

I have not sold a stock in years but for GE, a stock I loved once but finally decided their mgt was killing the company. Most all of my stocks now have good cash to withstand downturns and pay, on average, a 3 and 1/2 percent dividend. I used to auto-reinvest the dividends, but about ten years ago began letting the money go to cash.

Going to cash and fixed income is wise at your age.

:hihi:

Make your font bigger so he can read it.

I said "Going to cash and fixed income is wise at your age!"

While, I'm down a significant amount on my 401k, it's not to know it's still on the correct trajectory. The reality is September was a bit over baked.

1540324364589.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom