The Investment Thread (5 Viewers)

Had to take some profits and reduce my exposure in NUGT today after hitting $36 this morning. Was in it long since mid 20's then added some around $36 then added more around $28 after it pulled back. At the same time still holding some long which isn't what that ETF was designed to do but I'm also scared of selling since gold continues to hold really strong in the face of what would normally be downward pressures and then pops when expected to. Still looks like a low risk, high reward type situation. I just wish the funds did a better job tracking gold over longer time periods.

It's going to be really interesting to see how Iran escalates and it's impact on the markets. Big sell off today but it's just basically giving back yesterday's gains and then will likely be back to business as usual. If Iran pulls off some sort of terrorist attack against the West or even worse in the US then I don't see how the next step isn't war.

So, what is everyone doing now? How are you leveraged / diversified? We had a lot of indications about a global economic slow down, maybe not contraction, but at least a slow down. Seems like a lot of areas in the Markets took a pause, but have ramped up again.

I pulled out a bit a few months back, and then slowly got back in, but I still have about 10% of my IRA funds on the sideline. Need to find a home. I have been reading The Intelligent Investor to get some ideas, but I'm not far enough in the book.

However, I still have about 16% in the S&P 500, which has done very well.

I jumped back into NVDA a while back at around $193/share, and today they're at $251 and climbing. That's been a nice 29-30% increase.

I picked up about 12% in Discover (DFS), and it's up around 7% (It has slipped a bit the last week or so).

I still have about 6% in a gold ETF, IAU, up about 3%. Got in the gold game late.

I put about 8% in PBW, which is a green energy ETF. It was treading water for a long while, but it is up 23.5% since I got in. Been a nice run, and it's nice that it is Green energy too. I probably should have put more in there.

I have similar amounts in TGT and TIP. TGT just looked like they've really leveraged the company to grow and I like them better than Walmart, in general. I'm pretty flat with them now, but on the positive side of zero.

TIP was more of a defensive move to leverage something with inflation. We've been historically low with inflation, but something's gotta give at some point.

I still have my chunk in RCEL. Up about 24% now, but it's been fluttering all over. We'll see if they break out. Otherwise, I may play these waves.

I'm turning the rest of my investments over to the manger - I suck at it and I'm just going to let the professionals handle it.

I was able to piggy back on family accounts to get a management fee of just .45%, which is really good. So, I'm done, I'm out.

I'm turning the rest of my investments over to the manger - I suck at it and I'm just going to let the professionals handle it.

I was able to piggy back on family accounts to get a management fee of just .45%, which is really good. So, I'm done, I'm out.

Care to share how I can get the same .45%? :)

I'll just say again that trying to time the market or beat the market is not a realistic goal. If you really want to maximize your retirement account, just put everything into a couple of index funds that broadly mirror the market, and add to it every month.

If you do that, you'll have more money than if you try to individually pick stocks.

If that isn't good enough for you, another strategy is to do the Dogs of the Dow strategy. Basically on January 1, you buy into the 10 Dow stocks with the highest dividend yield. (Basically, betting that they've probably been oversold and will bounce back this coming year).

If you have a high tolerance for risk, keep buying start-ups. But be prepared to lose a lot before you finally hit the one big one that makes all your money back.

great gif.

So, what is everyone doing now? How are you leveraged / diversified? We had a lot of indications about a global economic slow down, maybe not contraction, but at least a slow down. Seems like a lot of areas in the Markets took a pause, but have ramped up again.

I pulled out a bit a few months back, and then slowly got back in, but I still have about 10% of my IRA funds on the sideline. Need to find a home. I have been reading The Intelligent Investor to get some ideas, but I'm not far enough in the book.

However, I still have about 16% in the S&P 500, which has done very well.

I jumped back into NVDA a while back at around $193/share, and today they're at $251 and climbing. That's been a nice 29-30% increase.

I picked up about 12% in Discover (DFS), and it's up around 7% (It has slipped a bit the last week or so).

I still have about 6% in a gold ETF, IAU, up about 3%. Got in the gold game late.

I put about 8% in PBW, which is a green energy ETF. It was treading water for a long while, but it is up 23.5% since I got in. Been a nice run, and it's nice that it is Green energy too. I probably should have put more in there.

I have similar amounts in TGT and TIP. TGT just looked like they've really leveraged the company to grow and I like them better than Walmart, in general. I'm pretty flat with them now, but on the positive side of zero.

TIP was more of a defensive move to leverage something with inflation. We've been historically low with inflation, but something's gotta give at some point.

I still have my chunk in RCEL. Up about 24% now, but it's been fluttering all over. We'll see if they break out. Otherwise, I may play these waves.

I havent spoken to my FA since just before 1/1. Will probably catch up here this week. I basically go by what he tells me ( outside any nuggets from chuck here- CRM bro- NEVER FORGET! )

Havent really paid much attention since work has been pretty hectic since 1/1 , but hope to get a gauge on market here. Seems like its been chgging along well, so i may still sit and accumulate cash for a pull back.

I havent spoken to my FA since just before 1/1. Will probably catch up here this week. I basically go by what he tells me ( outside any nuggets from chuck here- CRM bro- NEVER FORGET! )

Havent really paid much attention since work has been pretty hectic since 1/1 , but hope to get a gauge on market here. Seems like its been chgging along well, so i may still sit and accumulate cash for a pull back.
Would be nice to hear some intel.

I need to check with Fidelity. I think I can go to one of their centers and talk to a financial advisor. Just not sure they'd give advice vs just telling me about their services..

Yeah, PBW has been nice. Supporting clean energy, and people seem to be jumping in this year, so the price is a healthy bit up.

Not sure how much more the price will run up though. Need to start digging for some analysis and see how the companies are doing. Is this business/profit related or just future growth/speculation?

Wuhan virus is going to dominate the market on Monday. I'm fully expecting a bloodbath in the Asian markets which will lead to a tough day in the US. The big money in the markets will be hiring the best virologists and infectious disease experts in the country to put together projections and will have a total picture as good or better than the CDC. The market will will likely be quite telling.

Here is a pretty good summary of the impacts so far in the market.

Wuhan virus is going to dominate the market on Monday. I'm fully expecting a bloodbath in the Asian markets which will lead to a tough day in the US.

Here is a pretty good summary of the impacts so far in the market.

I’m gonna buy Gold, and puts in WYNN and SWKS.

I’m gonna buy Gold, and puts in WYNN and SWKS.
I'm still holding a few hundred shares of NUGT. Took some profits on it Friday but it took about 15 minutes for me to regret it. I'm not sure what else I'm going to do yet, will look hard at it tonight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom