The Investment Thread (5 Viewers)

Agree - 1% means actual growth over last year, how can there be growth?
They are also way under on Japan, Thailand, South Korea and Hong Kong impacts.

If it was just Wuhan closed for business it would be one thing but supply chains are already disrupted across Asia and Chinas tourism, travel and service sectors are getting destroyed.

It is like getting a 0 on a couple test grades and forecasting a 100 final grade. Dumb.

They are also way under on Japan, Thailand, South Korea and Hong Kong impacts.

If it was just Wuhan closed for business it would be one thing but supply chains are already disrupted across Asia and Chinas tourism, travel and service sectors are getting destroyed.

It is like getting a 0 on a couple test grades and forecasting a 100 final grade. Dumb.

They have locked down a couple of cities outside of Hubei this week. I really think Shanghai might be looking at a lockdown.

They have locked down a couple of cities outside of Hubei this week. I really think Shanghai might be looking at a lockdown.
Yep. I think 100 million are on lockdown now. Shut Shanghai down and China is basically in limp mode. Would be like us shutting down Chicago and NYC along with the entire midwest.

ok if yall were to invest in 5g tech, would it be Ericsson?

Just read an interesting article about 5G- ( beamforming and MIMO ) specifically about how the range of gH requires more "upmf" since it doesnt travel more than 500ft. ( whereas 4g can beam up to 22 miles and above/around objects- 5g cannot - thats where beamforming comes in ) So towers have to be virtually all over.

its also why you are starting to see oodles of "lightpole towers" in cities popping up- to handle the 5G wavelengths.

Last edited:

You think the next admin will remove the ban?

edit: Trump lifted in June 2019

nm. you cant. Not in the US.

Last edited:
No, but I think their share in the rest of the world is going to be dominant.

Agreed. They are big enough that even if Google allowed them to start carrying Android again on their new devices (I was a committed customer until they decided to no longer unlock phone bootloaders), Huawei might just say to Google, "Nah... We aight."

ok if yall were to invest in 5g tech, would it be Ericsson?

Just read an interesting article about 5G- ( beamforming and MIMO ) specifically about how the range of gH requires more "upmf" since it doesnt travel more than 500ft. ( whereas 4g can beam up to 22 miles and above/around objects- 5g cannot - thats where beamforming comes in ) So towers have to be virtually all over.

its also why you are starting to see oodles of "lightpole towers" in cities popping up- to handle the 5G wavelengths.
QualComm, maybe the cell carriers, hardware (like tower makers)...

https://www.investors.com/news/technology/5g-stocks-5g-wireless-stocks/

Just realize that there is a court case that may affect anti-trust / competition for chipmakers. QCOM would be in the balance.

5G Wireless: Higher Frequency Airwaves Require More Equipment
Keysight Technologies (KEYS) makes 5G network test gear. Keysight competes with Viavi Solutions (VIAV) and others in the 5G test gear market.

5G networks utilize mid-band as well as higher frequency airwaves. As a result, they require more equipment, more cell towers and more fiber-optic wiring than previous generations.

Further, 5G also is a long-term opportunity for network gear makers Ericsson (ERIC) and Nokia (NOK).

Cellphone tower operators American Tower (AMT), Crown Castle (CCI) and SBA Communications (SBAC), also could get a 5G boost, analysts say.

5G Networks Require Fiber-Optic Technology
5G networks will connect to fiber-optic networks. That will provide reliability for emerging automotive, robotics and medical applications. Potential 5G stocks to buy include Corning (GLW), Ciena (CIEN), Acacia Communications (ACIA) and other fiber-optic players.

Crown Castle makes "small-cell" radio antennas for 5G services in urban areas. The small-cell antennas — hung on utility poles or building rooftops — will require fiber-optic connections to local hubs.

"The best way to invest in true 5G at this still early stage in our view is fiber/small cell service providers and others in the supply chain, although those building 5G handsets will benefit from a multiyear upgrade cycle as well," Cowen & Co. said in a report.

BTW, I peeled off some of my RCEL exposure to take some profits now that they hit over 10/share. Odds are if it drops to 7-8/share, I'll buy back in. They tend to be pulsing a bit. I just sold off my current profit.

I did the same for NVDA earlier, likely premature. I'm waiting to see what their quarterly results make the market do. I won't buy back in until they dip. If they surge, I may consider selling the rest to take the healthy profits.

DFS burned me a bit. But I'll give them time.

I still have about 10% of my funds out of play right now. And I have a position in TIPS instead of gold (sold my gold stuff a while back, was a bit in the green there).

PBW, and clean energy in general, is getting positive investor news, so it has a pretty healthy gain lately. I've been in that for a while now.

QualComm, maybe the cell carriers, hardware (like tower makers)...

https://www.investors.com/news/technology/5g-stocks-5g-wireless-stocks/

Just realize that there is a court case that may affect anti-trust / competition for chipmakers. QCOM would be in the balance.
Spoke to my FA at length today.

Regarding 5G, he says we are still about 3-5 years out. If I were to make a play now, it would be one of the bigger players like Alphabet, ATT, Verizon or Aphalon (sp?).. He mentioned Qualcomm but I had it at 59 and got out like 4 weeks later at like 83. So gonna wait, accumulate cash and look for other opportunities short term. He did say when we do, look at American Towers.
Also mentioned Franklin Dyna tech fund. Which I already have but may increase position.
Also of note, said there is an undercurrent in the market of a transition back to blue chips. Tech has been so hot over the last 3 years, he said some folks are wanting to re establish t he blue chips. But he did not see it happening.

We getting together soon to discuss goals for 5 and 10 year. But I'll keep reading up on 5g tech cos and bolstering cash.

Side note...watch Dirty Money... VALEANT episode. It's crazy what they did.

Well, definitely premature on NVDA, but I was burned last time they popped and dropped, but at least I kept my original investment in there.

Same with RCEL by the looks of it, but they haven't popped past 10ish yet, and they tend to drop every so often. I'd rather buy back in if they get back to 7-8/share.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom