The Investment Thread (7 Viewers)

I've been reading the Intelligent Investor. Not far enough in to make any changes to my investing behavior yet, other than the fact I got a position into TIPS.

I continue to not understand the momentum this market has. I think we're getting into bubble territory. There's so much money in ETFs now, and the managers don't want to miss gains . . . so they pile back in after brief pull-backs on the idea that getting in later means higher prices (i.e. the same mentality that causes asset bubbles). The tourism and luxury goods markets have been substantially disrupted. The supply chain disruptions are starting to spread beyond China. The market just doesn't care - it's irrational. Irrational market behavior always gets knocked down.

I continue to not understand the momentum this market has. I think we're getting into bubble territory. There's so much money in ETFs now, and the managers don't want to miss gains . . . so they pile back in after brief pull-backs on the idea that getting in later means higher prices (i.e. the same mentality that causes asset bubbles). The tourism and luxury goods markets have been substantially disrupted. The supply chain disruptions are starting to spread beyond China. The market just doesn't care - it's irrational. Irrational market behavior always gets knocked down.

Completely agree but it is also possible that irrational drives us right on through.

I'm still long gold, it's still been net positive and if it turns the other way itll still go up. Sad thing is the fed is going to have to drop rates, at least .5 if they are serious about hitting inflation goals with falling energy prices and dollar that's continuing to be very strong.

never thought of it that way.

ETF are allowing share prices to increase based on perceived shares being purchased when in fact, it could be "institutional" purchases that make up the bulk of share being bought up by ETFs and not individual investors. Creating an artificial demand so to speak. Driving up the price of the share. Working the marketplace to their advantage.

Always someone who thinks they can game the market for profit. Happens repeatedly. Mortgage backed securites comes to mind. The thought is you bundle enough good ones, the bad ones wont affect the overall.

We see how that went.

Low interest rates means there is nowhere else to put that money

Well, definitely premature on NVDA, but I was burned last time they popped and dropped, but at least I kept my original investment in there.

They are up 10% today on a "upbeat earnings forecast" .....i logged into my account and was a little baffled to see my numbers but look at the 3 majors and see really not much movement.
It was NVDA.

DXCM now up over 14% today after strong earnings report. They're up about 85% since I bought in a few months ago.

Starting to see the impacts of coronavirus unravel supply chains in the tech sector with Apple backtracking on guidance due to supply chain and demand issues.

Dollar Index on 3 year highs as multiple Asian countries issue QE and Euro weakness. Bond market also sending signals. I think Fed is going to have to step in quickly and cut rates to "bridge the coronavirus gap".

Gold making quite the run this last week.

So, how much higher can NVDA go?

They're about $10/share beyond their all time highs. I'm getting itchy to get out and take my $100/share profit.

Starting to see the impacts of coronavirus unravel supply chains in the tech sector with Apple backtracking on guidance due to supply chain and demand issues.

Dollar Index on 3 year highs as multiple Asian countries issue QE and Euro weakness. Bond market also sending signals. I think Fed is going to have to step in quickly and cut rates to "bridge the coronavirus gap".

Gold making quite the run this last week.

We're seeing the supply chain issues in autos and machinery as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom