The Investment Thread (7 Viewers)

I think i read that it’s an almost $2 billion contract.

As i type this , PFE is only $38 a share.. i wonder if it wouldnt be a bad idea to sort of ‘hedge one’s bet’ by buying into Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca, the three most promising vaccines I’ve read about recently.. of course would probably lose your shirt on two out of three, but if one of those companies comes up with THE vaccine, then that would more than make up for it.. or is that a rookie mistake? Also, hopefully multiple companies will come up with successful vaccines, so there’s that.

I set a small limit order at 37.65 which filled today. So probably a rookie mistake. I see a 4% dividend and a chance at a big government contract. If their phase 3 trial works out well, then maybe they run up. If it runs up, I can sell and take profit. If it holds, I get the dividend. If their trial fails, it's a small enough buy that I can live with a loss.

It's a $2B contract for 100M doses and has an option to purchase 500M additional doses. If the vaccine doesn't reach the market, PFE gets nothing. If it goes to market, then I think the US will be taking the 500M option. I think China and India vaccines aren't leaving those countries until their needs are met. So even if a US company is late to produce, there still will be demand.

Yep, PFE is a solid safe stock with some growth opportunity. In fact, a friend of mine was wanting a list of 6 companies to invest $12k in for long term aggressive growth. Out of 12 stocks he went with PFE, IBM, NUGT, SPCE, AMZN and BYND. Figured that gave him some diversity, some safety and some potential for big gains. IBM is probably the one that will surprise most. They have underperformed their sector by 1000% in the last decade but the new CEO is investing in cloud infrastructure and I think they are about to turn it around but also have a solid floor in place. He already had big runs in NUGT and SPCE and got all excited. The first day he had a down day of like 1% he started freaking out. lol

He was wanting to give me the money and operate his investment account. Couldn't say no fast enough so I picked 12 stocks in categories of 2 and let him pick which 6 stockes to buy as a compromise.

Agree 100% on IBM. I think they're well-positioned to weather the mess we're going through. But it's gonna be contingent on their leadership making smart business decisions, which has been a real weakness of theirs in the more recent past.

Agree 100% on IBM. I think they're well-positioned to weather the mess we're going through. But it's gonna be contingent on their leadership making smart business decisions, which has been a real weakness of theirs in the more recent past.

Man, I’ve been holding IBM for years in one of my managed accounts. It never quite gets there. This “shifting to new tech” with cloud, AI, and blockchain premise makes sense but I’ve been waiting on it . . . like watching grass grow.

Man, I’ve been holding IBM for years in one of my managed accounts. It never quite gets there. This “shifting to new tech” with cloud, AI, and blockchain premise makes sense but I’ve been waiting on it . . . like watching grass grow.

I think it will get there. This one is a marathon though.

Yeah, its been a hollowed out company for some time and one I've hated but I really like the new CEO and IBM has the infrastructure to really get after the cloud and AI markets. Earnings a few days ago looked like they are already making some moves on the cloud side. I'm thinking long term on this one though.

Yeah, its been a hollowed out company for some time and one I've hated but I really like the new CEO and IBM has the infrastructure to really get after the cloud and AI markets. Earnings a few days ago looked like they are already making some moves on the cloud side. I'm thinking long term on this one though.
Side note, my senior design project in college was working on Lead Free Solders (specifically ways to characterize the re crystallization problem, thus leading to irregular premature failures) for IBM.

I think they were the rare, or only, computer manufacturer that had their own serious R&D budget.

Our Professor/Advisor wrote up a paper in a journal and gave us co-author credits (only fair, we did the work, but he did most of the science).

the Abstract

" Electron backscatter diffraction and polarized light microscopy have been used to quantify the number of crystallographically independent â-Sn dendrites present in near-eutectic, ball grid array Sn-Ag-Cu (SAC) solder balls as a function of cooling rate (0.35–3.0°C/s). Based on these data, it is estimated that a single 900-μm-diameter solder ball contains on average eight individual β-Sn dendrites, independent of cooling rate. Specific orientation relationships were also found to be prevalent between neighboring â-Sn dendrites. These results confirm and expand upon recent research, and further emphasize the probable anisotropic nature of SAC solder joints "

Covered my short position on LYV this morning at $47.70, I really think it's going lower but wanted to push more into NUGT and it got cheap at the same time. Plus I still have puts in LYV.

Things getting dicey. If SP breaks below 3230 support level then watch out below.

Things getting dicey. If SP breaks below 3230 support level then watch out below.
Noticed my crypto is up quite a bit on the news that banks can act as custodians for crypto. Wonder if some money is rolling that direction.

Noticed my crypto is up quite a bit on the news that banks can act as custodians for crypto. Wonder if some money is rolling that direction.
Doubt it. The jobs data this morning spooked the market.

Here's my take on the vaccine. Moderna and Regeneron are up something like 300 and 400% on the year. Neither have a single product and both have some spectacular market caps. If either fail those companies could get wiped out. If they succeed then it's already baked in.

For PFE or AZN, they are such large companies that a successful vaccine only has so much of an impact on the stock.

I don't think there is going to be the global demand that most others think there will be. I'm guessing several other countries are really close to either getting a usable vaccine or stealing the technology. If I had to bet China and India will also have vaccines with the ability to outproduce at a lower cost than anything from US companies. There will also be a lot of pressure for US companies to not overcharge. In the end, we're probably going to end up with 4-5 vaccines from 4-5 different companies that all work with slightly different concepts. So if you take 360 million, assume 40% wont get the vaccine then it's going to leave a pool of about 200M people split between 4-5 different companies and it's likely to be a one time boom. Like everyone always says, the treatment is more valuable than the cure.

The smart play was getting in on Moderna or Regeneron 3 months ago.

not immediately related but reminds me an awful lot of the reality that set in to temper some of the weed stock allure

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom