The Investment Thread (9 Viewers)

Covid climbing, stimulus stalled.

It's pretty much just that.

I think there's gonna be a ton of volatility until there's a clear outcome with the election. The market hates uncertainty, and I don't see any certainty coming for at least another 2 weeks. Possibly longer.

Knew I should have taken some profits friday..

I think there's gonna be a ton of volatility until there's a clear outcome with the election. The market hates uncertainty, and I don't see any certainty coming for at least another 2 weeks. Possibly longer.
I don't think the election matters on the overall market. It matters for certain sectors.

It's all about covid and stimulus and both are going the wrong way for the market. Sold everything I had last week and went short on oil. The denial has been like February all over again. Hopefully this time I don't hold short too long and do more DCA on the way down.

The election isnt a factor.

It is the virus resurgence and potential round 2 of shut downs. Business outlook was trending positive... lots of cold water thrown on that.

I don't think the election matters on the overall market. It matters for certain sectors.

It's all about covid and stimulus and both are going the wrong way for the market. Sold everything I had last week and went short on oil. The denial has been like February all over again. Hopefully this time I don't hold short too long and do more DCA on the way down.

Oh no doubt those are driving factors in the sell-off today, but I do believe that once we know for certain what the election outcomes are, I think the wild swings will narrow a good bit.

The election isnt a factor.

It is the virus resurgence and potential round 2 of shut downs. Business outlook was trending positive... lots of cold water thrown on that.

I'm talking more about the volatility in the near term, months/quarters, not so much days.

Interesting concept. I'll definitely be recommending younger workers look into this. I might do it, but just not enough time for compound interest to work for me.

IRARewards.com

Boost your retirement savings by leveraging every day spending to earn generous cash-back rewards from EvoShare when you shop at more than 13,000 online and local merchants.

The article I found it from says you can get 1-15% of your spending invested. Seems like a no brainier, but as always read the fine print.

Oh no doubt those are driving factors in the sell-off today, but I do believe that once we know for certain what the election outcomes are, I think the wild swings will narrow a good bit.
Nope. Virus, shutdowns and stimulus all that matters. Markets are sitting in a really dangerous spot. When the fed chairman comes out last month and says without stimulus and getting a grip on the virus the economy will likely fall into a deep recession that is difficult to get out of while health experts warn that the fall wave will be more significant than the spring and no stimulus is passed, it should have been really obvious what was coming. It has nothing to do with the election.

Nope. Virus, shutdowns and stimulus all that matters. Markets are sitting in a really dangerous spot. When the fed chairman comes out last month and says without stimulus and getting a grip on the virus the economy will likely fall into a deep recession that is difficult to get out of while health experts warn that the fall wave will be more significant than the spring and no stimulus is passed, it should have been really obvious what was coming. It has nothing to do with the election.

I mostly agree. There definitely will be a lot of headline risk in the next couple of weeks, which will likely push the markets further south.

That said, I think we can all agree that the markets has not been linear or moved in tandem with what's actually happening on the ground. A lot of us thought the markets would be in much worse shape considering what's happened over the last 6 months. That they're still not far removed from record highs is kinda crazy. I do think it's overbought and will get a lot of profit taking, some of which has already taken place. I think we'll get a lot of volatility in the next week or two and then it will settle in if the softened Covid influenced economy is priced in by then.

But really, I have no clue because the markets have not made a lot of sense lately. We'll see I guess.

Looks like SPY will probably test 323 resistance again the next few days. The last 2 times at the end of July and September, it bounced straight up. Not sure which way it is going this time but if that breaks, 300 is next.

France going to lockdown v2.0.

Shouldn't be as awful as the first one now that folks are used to remote work. But, any hopes of int travel are in the dirt.

Expect stocks to get hammered again.

France going to lockdown v2.0.

Shouldn't be as awful as the first one now that folks are used to remote work. But, any hopes of int travel are in the dirt.

Expect stocks to get hammered again.

Yeah, I just saw that. If we start seeing other counties locking down for any substantial length of time, we're gonna see some significant contraction here. Not looking good.

France is talking about trying to save Christmas. The restrictions in France were similar to the US. We are headed for lockdowns in the US, the markets have not priced that in.

The reason markets recovered so fast is because of the fed and stimulus with no factoring in of a second wave. Now we lose stimulus right as the second wave starts hitting. I think it continues to go south until stimulus is passed or it gets really oversold.

France is talking about trying to save Christmas. The restrictions in France were similar to the US. We are headed for lockdowns in the US, the markets have not priced that in.

The reason markets recovered so fast is because of the fed and stimulus with no factoring in of a second wave. Now we lose stimulus right as the second wave starts hitting. I think it continues to go south until stimulus is passed or it gets really oversold.

Indeed, I do think a second wave is somewhat priced in. But no stimulus, no vaccine and a shutdown in the US? Not so much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom