The "it's too early" Mickey Loomis press conference at the Senior Bowl (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here it is...

In a few words, he would like Drew to stay, it is too early to talk free agency, too early also to evaluate the draftees, too early to talk free agency, he likes Joe Brady. He likes Joe Burrow, but too early to talk about him. Too early to talk about contract extensions, well, you get my drill....

Yeah, I listened to it on the Saints app. He pretty much said nothing of any value. And he's right really. It's still before the Super Bowl. Way too early to have anything really substantive to say about FA/contracts or the draft.

The thing that I find interesting is that the reporters would not ask about the linebackers coach. Nothing if someone has been hired, interviewed, etc.

Normally we learn unofficially by the media and weeks later from the saints about the hiring of coaches. That I find it quiet bizarre.

Here it is...

In a few words, he would like Drew to stay, it is too early to talk free agency, too early also to evaluate the draftees, too early to talk free agency, he likes Joe Brady. He likes Joe Burrow, but too early to talk about him. Too early to talk about contract extensions, well, you get my drill....
Sounds about right. By the Combine, things will start to take shape.

Loomis hardly ever says anything of value to the local media. I am not sure that he has a press conference to address the state of the team other than his annual press conference at the Senior Bowl where he says as little as possible.

Three points:

1. I cannot think of another real general manager who appears so rarely in public to answer questions than Loomis.

2. Both Payton and Loomis are much more friendly to the national media than the local media. I have actually heard Loomis on Sirius NFL, and Payton is expansive in his interviews with the national media.

3. General managers of winning teams can do what they want, especially in New Orleans, when it comes to dealing with the local press. GMs of losing teams cannot.

The thing that I find interesting is that the reporters would not ask about the linebackers coach. Nothing if someone has been hired, interviewed, etc.

Normally we learn unofficially by the media and weeks later from the saints about the hiring of coaches. That I find it quiet bizarre.

I haven't seen an official release saying he left or took the DC job. I find that to be weird.

I feel like Drew's contract seems to be finalized in the 11th hour. Maybe its just me though

From all the comments I have seen from Payton, Brees, and now Loomis they all have a "but ..." between the lines. From what I have understood over the years is that Loomis builds his cap forward for "X" number of years and all his signing fit within the cap for those future years and when players will fall off or have to be resigned/renegotiated.

I do not think Loomis cap plan for 2020 had Brees and a large cap number allocated for him. I clearly recall him saying multiple times that they have a plan in place to deal with Brees cap hit after his contract expired. From the comments of all three people it sure sounds like if Brees wants to continue playing that it has to be a very team friendly number and that to find that number they are going to see what the market is for Brees as a FA. If some team makes him a ridiculous offer I think they let him go. If he does not get that ridiculous offer and he still wants to play then the saints are in a position to make it work in the cap without losing younger core players for the next several years.

So Brees decision ultimately comes down to offers he can get in free agency and all parties are being amicable so as not to create a breakup that pits fans for/or against the team or brees after so many great years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom