The La's (1 Viewer)

Ted

muddlin'
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
what a disappointment. their one album is a masterpiece, but the leader, Lee Mavers, disappeared into seclusion after frustration while recording the follow up.

I just discovered that a 20th anniversary edition has been issued with several previously unreleased songs and some of them are great - worth digging up.

what a disappointment. their one album is a masterpiece, but the leader, Lee Mavers, disappeared into seclusion after frustration while recording the follow up.

I just discovered that a 20th anniversary edition has been issued with several previously unreleased songs and some of them are great - worth digging up.

Timeless melodies?

That's a great record. I'm sure with one spin I'll be transported right back to my out of control college years.

It's been sitting untouched in my CD rack for quite a while. Might need to break it out. :9:

I've been nostalgic lately and spun some great records from that era, Charlatans UK's Some Friendly, Stone Roses self titled, James Seven. Man, that was great stuff.

That's a great record. I'm sure with one spin I'll be transported right back to my out of control college years.

It's been sitting untouched in my CD rack for quite a while. Might need to break it out. :9:

I've been nostalgic lately and spun some great records from that era, Charlatans UK's Some Friendly, Stone Roses self titled, James Seven. Man, that was great stuff.

Was?????

I have the collected works of James on my iPod. Road trips, strange hotel rooms, long train or plane trips? I run through it all and it never dissapoints.

Born of Frustation. Great tune.

Great band.

I think they did a new album and are out on tour:

http://www.ents24.com/web/artist/14996/James+(1).html

Was?????

I have the collected works of James on my iPod. Road trips, strange hotel rooms, long train or plane trips? I run through it all and it never dissapoints.

Born of Frustation. Great tune.

Great band.

I think they did a new album and are out on tour:

http://www.ents24.com/web/artist/14996/James+(1).html

Each song is better than the next on Seven. You're right. The CD holds up very well and is still great. Definitely want of my all-time favorites.

There was a time when I made mix-tapes for people that I would bookend the CD with BoF and Seven (the song).

I also really like the self-titled CD. The releases of Laid and beyond became increasingly less interesting to me though. I sort of lost track of them after Whiplash.

Each song is better than the next on Seven. You're right. The CD holds up very well and is still great. Definitely want of my all-time favorites.

There was a time when I made mix-tapes for people that I would bookend the CD with BoF and Seven (the song).

I also really like the self-titled CD. The releases of Laid and beyond became increasingly less interesting to me though. I sort of lost track of them after Whiplash.

Yeah that happens to most bands outside the elite few. They run out of creative steam. Probably correlates to the fact that they are well into their 40s now. Not everybody can be U2.

Whiplash had a couple of good tunes. Picked it up in a used CD shop. I don't know that they even recorded after that until now.

Funny, I was sorting through my cassette collection last weekend, looking for a record I thought my 6-year old son would like, and I stumbled over my copy of "The La's." I hadn't thought of them in at least a decade. It was a very good record, although to tell the truth at the time I had some trouble telling them apart from the Stone Roses, and ultimately I liked the Roses album better (esp. "She Bangs the Drums.") I guess I liked Madchester better than Liverpool, at that point, although for whatever reason I could never get into James much, despite devotion and repeated plugs for them by the great Deirdre O'Donaghue and other public radio DJs here in Los Angeles. Correctly or not, I related to it as a nice extension of the punk-pop-psychedelic sound of slightly older bands like The Plimsouls and Psychedelic Furs.

Unfortunately "The Stone Roses" disappeared when the car wash guy at my office building made off with several boxes of my tapes (including then-complete collections of Prince, X, Los Lobos, and others), but I still have "The La's" and will play it again as soon as I can wrest our house's only working cassette player away from my son.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom