The Last of Us (HBO series - spoilers within) (1 Viewer)

Rounding out the WLFs

Clickers now ribbit

I would put this episode on one of the top 10 TV episodes I've ever seen

But I knew watching it that it would trigger some people

You can argue that it didn't have the main characters in it, you can argue that it was a total (and maybe unnecessary) change of pace, you can argue that the episode doesn't really effect the rest of the series at all and could have accomplished the same goal with a 5 minute flashback, I haven't played the game so I don't know if you can argue that it was too different than the game

But you can't argue that it was a beautifully and excellently acted and written hour of television

==================================
At Sunday's Independent Spirit Awards, actor Nick Offerman addressed "homophobic hate" aimed over the past year at "Long, Long Time," the stand-alone episode of HBO's post-apocalyptic drama The Last of Us that he starred in with Murray Bartlett and that earned Offerman a win today for Best Supporting Performance in a New Scripted Series.

"Thank you so much, Film Independent. I'm astonished to be in this category, which is bananas," Offerman began while onstage to accept the prize. "Thanks to HBO for having the guts to participate in this storytelling tradition that is truly independent. Stories with guts that when homophobic hate comes my way and says, ‘Why did you have to make it a gay story?' We say, ‘Because you ask questions like that.'"

Added an impassioned Offerman: "It's not a gay story, it's a love story, you a**hole."

Offerman also won an Emmy for his turn on The Last of Us as Bill, a survivor of a zombie apocalypse, whose decades-long love story with partner Frank (Bartlett) is chronicled in what has been perhaps the most discussed episode of the show's first season. In addition to Bartlett, Offerman today bested Spirit Awards contenders in the gender-neutral category that included Billie Eilish (Swarm), Jack Farthing (Rain Dogs), Adina Porter (The Changeling), Lewis Pullman (Lessons in Chemistry), Benny Safdie (The Curse), Luke Tennie (Shrinking), Olivia Washington (I'm a Virgo) and Jessica Williams (Shrinking)...........

You can argue that it didn't have the main characters in it, you can argue that it was a total (and maybe unnecessary) change of pace, you can argue that the episode doesn't really effect the rest of the series at all and could have accomplished the same goal with a 5 minute flashback, I haven't played the game so I don't know if you can argue that it was too different than the game

But you can't argue that it was a beautifully and excellently acted and written hour of television

all of these can be true at the same time...

it's definitely different in the game...you never meet Frank(alive) and Bill briefly helps Joe & Ellie find a vehicle...you get hints about Bill & Frank's relationship but it's all very surface level....and Bill is a bit of a looney toon in the game

i think the episode was good in it's own right but it was not even a little bit important to the main story...so meh

You can argue that it didn't have the main characters in it, you can argue that it was a total (and maybe unnecessary) change of pace, you can argue that the episode doesn't really effect the rest of the series at all and could have accomplished the same goal with a 5 minute flashback,
All true. And still amazing TV, so I'll take it. (Not that you were arguing otherwise)
I haven't played the game so I don't know if you can argue that it was too different than the game
Antipop commented as I was but yea you do get the whole prepper thing and only a mostly passing reference to that relationship. You have to fill in that particular blank.

A lot of series have 'filler' episodes that don't add anything to the overall story

Some are better than others, some are terrible and some are great

I thought this one was great

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom