The Last of Us (HBO series - spoilers within) (1 Viewer)

do you have any idea how much stuff a video game character can carry??

Never played The Last of Us, but Call of Duty i was a mule. Germans didnt stand a chance since i had the M1, Springfield sniper, 45 cal, RPG and grenades. Oh and sticky bombs. ( for tanks ) lol

oh, and i coulndt die. lol

watching this show makes me want to play the game. Loved this last episode.

I guess that I'm looking at it as someone who hasn't played the game, but I've heard about the stealth vs rambo approach in the game. IMO, Joel in the show (unlike y'all who've played the game) doesn't know what they could encounter on the way to WY, so I'd think that the smartest thing to do would be to be as well armed as possible for the cross-country trip also since the ppl at the hospital took his rifle. Just my 2 pesos (since Pedro is Chilean-American lol)...
they were always scavenging as you can imagine it would have to be that long after an apocalyptic event. They just didn't focus on it from a weapon standpoint. But they did show him going in somewhere and finding some good old Chef Boyardee.

Man they did a great job with the opening. The mom is Ellie from the game so that voice is creepy familiar. And Marlenes lines in the parking garage sound like a recording of the game. She did those lines just as she did over a decade before. That theme of dark things in the name of love keeps coming up throughout - just like the Henry vs Melanie choices. And we have only seen the beginning of that theme.

the game kind of forces you to go into Rambo mode at the end, Joel is in a rage and their are so many Fireflies. But it is so satisfying because you have to spend the rest of the game conserving resources and then you just let it all out like Ellie on David. You can honestly play through the rest of the game with very little gun use. Bolt gun and other quiet weapons are preferred. The game has a lot of satisfying stealth play and that is how I always prefer to play.

>>The mom is Ellie from the game so that voice is creepy familiar.

She was also one of the Seaver kids on "Growing Pains". She was very young on that show.

I recognized her face from something and searched up her IMDB last night and kept scrolling and scrolling to see what I knew her from and was like "nope", "nope", "nope" "maybe I don't know her and she just has that sort of face" then finally got to the bottom of the page and was like THAT'S IT!!!!

I was kind of shocked throughout the series how many scenes they decided to depict exactly as they were in the game - right down to camera angle and all. The whole giraffe scene from her distracted and dropping the ladder, to the room with the hole in the wall - game exactly.

That. Was. Awesome! What a great finale to a great show.

The hospital murder rampage reminded me of the police station murder rampage from Terminator. Just a man (or cyborg) on a mission one man army style. And I loved how it showed Joel running out of ammo, reloading, picking up magazines, and dropped guns from enemies. That was just like a game. It's also more realistic. Most of the time our hero has a never ending magazine where he never has to reload. The best is when somebody gets 10 shots with a sawed off double barrel shotgun lol. It's like, "Every second we spend showing someone reloading is time we could spend showing things go pow pow and boom boom!" That's one of my favorite things about the shootout in Heat...they reload.

When Joel says, "It wasn't time that did it", man. Special stuff right there.

Underwhelmed by the final episode of the season. Generally, I thought the show has been paced very well, but I found this one plodding which really undercut the drama of the huge revelation. By and large, I have really enjoyed this show but found the season finale a misstep.

Underwhelmed by the final episode of the season. Generally, I thought the show has been paced very well, but I found this one plodding which really undercut the drama of the huge revelation. By and large, I have really enjoyed this show but found the season finale a misstep.
Interesting. I respect that point of view but I felt like everything happened too quickly. I think again, for those of us who played the game, it is interesting how much longer everything takes when you are playing. But at the time you play it, you aren’t thinking about how much of that doesn’t translate or isn’t necessary in other media.

Never played the game, but I found this show enthralling. I almost didn't watch because I don't love fast zombie tropes and that would have been my loss.
Great acting from Pablo and Bella too. IMO, an all-time classic that stuck the landing this season.

and from the sounds of it here, for those that played, it paralleled quite well. ( which i imagine is hard to accomplish - from game to show )

Especially the "melee" part in final. ( picking up used weapons, etc )

Interesting. I respect that point of view but I felt like everything happened too quickly. I think again, for those of us who played the game, it is interesting how much longer everything takes when you are playing. But at the time you play it, you aren’t thinking about how much of that doesn’t translate or isn’t necessary in other media.
Thank you and to you, as well. I haven't played it so I am not bound by comparison which, I'm sure, changes the experience. I agree with you that the big plot came too quickly, but somehow the show still felt like it plodded along. I was bored for the first time.

my initial thoughts on the season is that playing the game is the best way to experience the story...the immersion that you get from the game can't be replicated on a show

i think it also affects the ambiguity of Joel's decision in the end...it feels like he made the only logical choice despite the chance that humanity could be saved....

I think Pedro was really good as Joel....close enough to feel familiar but he still made it his own....

i can't say i was a huge fan of Bella as Ellie....often times it just fell flat for me, other times she was amazing :shrug:

i really wish i could have gone in the Severance office to watch the show with no recollection of the game...i'm sure i would look at it differently

overall it was really good but the game was just much better as an art/entertainment piece

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom