The Last of Us (HBO series - spoilers within) (1 Viewer)

I thought this last episode was excellent on the storytelling level. Like others have mentioned previously it hit all the notes of loneliness, desperation, survival etc, that would come from a survivor(s) in such an apocalyptic situation. I did find it odd that they dedicated a whole episode to the backstory of a situation that was literally only an "in passing mention" in the game. However, with that said, I'm glad they did because of what it produced for the tv series. It was also very refreshing to see Nick Offerman as a more serious actor, instead of his normal comedy side. It's always interesting to see people branch out from their norm.

I thought this last episode was excellent on the storytelling level. Like others have mentioned previously it hit all the notes of loneliness, desperation, survival etc, that would come from a survivor(s) in such an apocalyptic situation. I did find it odd that they dedicated a whole episode to the backstory of a situation that was literally only an "in passing mention" in the game. However, with that said, I'm glad they did because of what it produced for the tv series. It was also very refreshing to see Nick Offerman as a more serious actor, instead of his normal comedy side. It's always interesting to see people branch out from their norm.
in some of the latter episodes of St 11, a lot of the justification for some weird actions come from a character's belief that 'survival is insufficient'
because this came from a broken character, there was a lot of ambiguity to that phrase

However, this episode of TLOU was a perfect example of that 'survival is insufficient' idea
my guess is that the plot of the story is Joel being a beast of burden carrying Ellie to the destination
but here is an amazing example of story being so much more than just plot
and while it exists just fine as maybe one of the best episodes of tv, it also gives us supplemental material to compare/contrast Joel's rediscovery of his humanity with Bill's

the talk show in ep 1, jakarta in ep 2 and now this have done incredible jobs in adding depth and heft to the show

Prob don't do what I did and click on the Twitter comments under the shows posting...yikes
I never saw or played the game, but it was pretty obvious early on where the episode was headed (couldn't have known that it would be done so well) and it was just as obvious that there would be plenty of blowback about it and the BS justifications for it (it wasn't central to the plot, wasn't in the game, didn't move the story forward, etc etc etc)

I'll definitely watch it again

Well that was an incredible episode. Just blown away. Regardless of where the series goes from here, the third episode was a masterpiece just as a standalone episode of TV. Absolutely loved it. I haven't been moved like that in a long time. Great storytelling.

And I have never played the game so this is all new to me. I'm glad that I don't have any frame of reference for these characters. I just get to watch the story unfold and it's wonderful so far. It gives me Station 11 vibes at times. It's so sparse and to the point. I dig that. I don't need over the top, non stop action. I don't need a lot of forced exposition. Just give me a compelling story and some good acting and I'm all in.

I never saw or played the game, but it was pretty obvious early on where the episode was headed (couldn't have known that it would be done so well) and it was just as obvious that there would be plenty of blowback about it and the BS justifications for it (it wasn't central to the plot, wasn't in the game, didn't move the story forward, etc etc etc)

I'll definitely watch it again
“Rosebud” didn’t move the plot forward an inch but completely recontextualized the movie
(Not arguing against you, just adding)

“Rosebud” didn’t move the plot forward an inch but completely recontextualized the movie
(Not arguing against you, just adding)
I like the reference. This was a beautiful piece of story telling and any attempt to politicize it is demeaning. I don't watch enough TV to be an expert, but in my personal experience, it was amazing and was one of the best examples of story telling, directing, and acting that I have ever seen. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get choked up over it

The experiences shown in this episode are crucial to the overall story arc. I can see how surface level viewers may see it as filler. The game also tells the Bill arc from current time, whereas the show does from the past. Very powerful episode, and I didn't mind the time flip at all. The show's portrayal of this material was extremely well done.

Last edited:
This is a comparison thing to the games, not really spoiler but I’ll tag it:

Is it just me or is Joel not a big enough jerk to Ellie? I seem to remember on my last replay not remembering just how big a jerk he was at first.
And Ellie’s sarcasm seems more…abrasive?

To be clear, I’m not complaining about either, just curious if anyone else noticed or if I’m just crazy. Or both?

There is a preview for the next episode and a behind-the-scenes featurette after every episode. Just in case people exit the app once the end credits roll.
I watch the show not on HBOMax, so I don't usually get the preview...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom