The Last of Us Part 2 - SPOILERS (1 Viewer)

oh lord no...i have watched him before and that dude is ridiculously good at the game...i play it much more methodically...

the level design in this series is brilliant...you have tons of freedom on how you approach each situation and the games are highly replayable

you have been warned....this thread will contain spoilers for the game

I finished the game last week and sat on it for a few days....i think over all, the game is fine and i am not really sure why people are so angry about it

Gameplay:
  • there isn't really much to say about the gameplay as it's not much different than the first game...i quite enjoy the loop of exploration, finding resources and then taking on an encounter and trying to manage the resources you have...
  • the new rope swing mechanic didn't really impress me much
  • being able to go prone was a really nice addition to stealth
  • the new skill trees were interesting enough and i like when you can't max everything out in the first playthrough, forcing you to decide what you want to prioritize
  • enemy AI still pretty dumb but maybe a little smarter than the first game...the dogs were an interesting wrinkle on the human enemy side...infected enemies seem a little more sensitive to your presence and I hated those stalkers
  • the maylay mechanics were a little wonky with the dodge button being L1...just an odd button choice that doesn't feel natural
Graphics:
  • what else needs to be said? the game is gorgeous....ND gets every bit of power out of the PS4 much like they did for the PS3
  • just the right amount of bleak and beautiful...pretty cool how nature took back what used to be civilization
  • characters look great...facial animations are rivaled only by Rockstar and maybe a couple of others
  • brutal and visceral but somehow campy enough to feel like a B horror film
Story:
  • i didn't really have a problem with the story overall, it was just poorly paced and executed
  • voice acting was good and even great at times, no issues there
  • i liked the flashback sequences but some of them felt like they should have just been cutscenes...don't give me control of a character so i can walk around and abandoned museum and put hats on dinosaurs...feels like i could have just watched that play out in about 3 minutes instead of 30 minutes of gameplay
  • the first half of the story is amazing and what i think most people expected...Ellie on blood soaked revenge quest...even though revenge stories are a cliche in video games, i was fine with going through the motions of that
  • i didn't read any spoilers when they leaked but i always suspected Joel would be killed off...i think it happened too early in the game but i guess they had to get the 27 hour plot started immediately :freak7:
  • i mean, how dumb was it for Abby and company to leave Ellie and Tommy alive?
  • they maybe should have kept it a secret who killed Joel and it would have been easier to like Abby...if you have no idea what she ends up doing, she actually has a pretty good story and redemption arc going on with Lev and his sister escaping from the Serephites...
  • i really didn't like the Abby vs. Ellie fight sequences...but i think you aren't supposed to be comfortable with them
  • i mean, Abby allows Ellie to walk away a second time?
  • Abby adventure was probably too long and where the story suffers...
  • i kind of just laughed at the ending..."it can't be for nothing" was something Ellie said in the first game and it ultimately the entire game ends up being for nothing soooo :freak7:

discuss.

Outstanding review and I wholeheartedly agree. I think the problem with the story for me wasnt that Joel died...I fully expected that to happen. It was the way they chose to kill him and how soon in the story the decided to off him. I wanted to see more gameplay happen between Joel and Ellie and I thought it would have been better to have him die by sacrificing himself to save Ellie. Tommy and Joel would never just give their identities up to complete strangers...that "untrusting" trait was kind of established in the first game yet everything he did goes against his character. Then having to play as Abby for 10 hours while they try to make you feel something for a character that most people hate was just ridiculous. Many people I watched play kept trying to kill Abby hahaha. I guess what sucked overall is that the antagonist of the game...this person you hate...literally gets everything she wanted. She got to kill Joel, she beat the sheet out of Ellie, and she gets away in the end. I literally hated the ending and thought they should have at least given the players the "choice" of whether to let Abby live or die. I understand the message they were trying to send--revenge bad. But the entire game is based on revenge from both sides and in the end you don't get to fulfill what you set out to do...it was just MEH!

As me and Zack discussed once...I hope that ending was chosen to lead into TLOU3...because if it wasn't then it was a let down.

Great writeup Antipop

I can agree with all that except Abby getting everything she wants. She literally lost everything she ever loved including the dog lol. And getting away to Santa Barbara wasn't really her idea but Owens. And her stay there didn't work out all that well either. They both lost pretty much everything they cared about. More than anything this game was about pain.

you pretty much named all the things people had issues with in the story, which plenty of people hold the story above all else. While I don't have an issue with Joel, people felt cheated that his death wasn't earned, and checked out of giving the game any leeway in the story after that. So pacing, and order of operations are what people are up in arms about.

@antipop I won’t thread jack here anymore but I’ve been playing Dishonored the last two days. Have to agree that it is pretty darn good. Took me a little while to get into it but now I see the appeal.

this is the vg board...no need to stay on topic

there is probably a Dishonored thread somewhere though

Anitpop, Dishonered is pretty awesome. It’s like Bioshock meets Hitman and that is good company. The mood pulls off Industrial Rev period perfectly and the art has grown on me a lot. I’m hooked. Some pretty repetitive dialog but that is no deal breaker for me - I have heard an NPC ask another if they think they will get a promotion after what happened last night about 100 times. It just inspires me to dispatch them quicker lol

Anitpop, Dishonered is pretty awesome. It’s like Bioshock meets Hitman and that is good company. The mood pulls off Industrial Rev period perfectly and the art has grown on me a lot. I’m hooked. Some pretty repetitive dialog but that is no deal breaker for me - I have heard an NPC ask another if they think they will get a promotion after what happened last night about 100 times. It just inspires me to dispatch them quicker lol

No doubt...it was made in 2012 so you can probably let the repetitive dialogue slide....I don’t remember if it’s like that in Dishonored 2.

But yeah, the art style, tone and setting of the series are all awesome...Arkane definitely created something unique with it...it’s a shame it’s not appreciated more...

i think after Ghost of Tsushima i will have to make another run through them...

when you’re done with those, you may want to check out Prey...same dev studio but a sci-fi horror setting on a space station...another favorite of mine

you pretty much named all the things people had issues with in the story, which plenty of people hold the story above all else. While I don't have an issue with Joel, people felt cheated that his death wasn't earned, and checked out of giving the game any leeway in the story after that. So pacing, and order of operations are what people are up in arms about.

yeah, and i think overall, the story was fine even if it felt a little cliche...the pacing and order were the biggest issues but i don't think they make the game 'trash' as some people like to say....

and the thing about Joel is that he was kind of a selfish prick and he probably deserved what he got...

ok so since this thread is getting very little action, more Dishonored. The actual conversation in the first between NPCs is "so you think you will get your own squad after what happened last night" "I would think so" it is the only conversation I heard and I heard it maybe 30 times.

So I get into the DLC where you are playing as Daud and sure enough I hear it again. I thought, its like a running joke with these guys. Mission two a new conversation "sir" "what is it?" " I just wanted to say congratulations on getting your own squad" :ROFLMAO: I think its funny as hell. Like one of those jokes where you deliver the punch line 30 min later.

Fun fact: Daud is voiced by Michael Madsen

Since we're thread jackin...I checked out some game footage of "Prey"...that game looks INSANE!

Since we're thread jackin...I checked out some game footage of "Prey"...that game looks INSANE!

it’s very good...i just recently played through for the second time....

it’s probably more like Bioshock than anything but different enough to stand apart

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom