The last thing the that the Saints need is Deshaun Watson in the NFC South (Not in a Saints Uniform) (1 Viewer)

We can afford Watson once loomis does his magic, but I think many people underestimate just how much Payton and the staff loves Jamies.
Read a fascinating comment somewhere that Payton et al were fully aware Brees was done after this year AND realized how good Jameis is, so they didn’t allow Winston to play, because if he did well, we’d have to pay him a lot more to keep him, as other teams would throw more money at him than we have next year.
Just speculation, but intriguing nonetheless.

I keep hearing teams like the Jets, Miami, and Carolina as places for Watson to land. Question is does Watson want to go to any of those teams? He has the no trade clause in his contract. Houston is saying there is no way they are trading him. If Watson is willing to not play at all he has some leverage but usually in these situations the team usually wins. We'll see who blinks first.

Don’t rule out Atlanta as a possibility for Watson as well. Watson is a Georgia native, and the Clowns have the #4 overall pick, a veteran QB that Houston could use as a bridge (albeit an expensive one), and Julio Jones. With a new GM and HC in place, changes are certainly on the horizon for the Turds.

Id also put San Francisco down as a team that could realistically make a play for Watson.

As exciting as it would be, I'm not the biggest fan of Watson's style as it is prone to injury. I can do without the butterflies in the stomach from the last 2 years watching Brees go down and the offensive scheme being handicapped because of it, even if we have overcome it. Also, there's the question of whether or not he or any other non-saint QB can pick up the scheme in 1 off season, as opposed to tailoring it to Watson and changing roles of other key offensive players (think AK's role being reduced when Taysom took over).

I'd rather not have to do anything resembling a rebuild. I'd rather roll with Winston, as a stop-gap at the very least.

Last edited:
dont think he would need to run too much in Paytons' offense...Just give it to Taysom and AK to run. It's a pipe dream in acquiring Watson, but at least we can dream. Until then..just roll with Taysom and Winston.....

I always thought how lucky Colts fans were to go from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck.. but to go from Brees to Watson? Maaaaaan that’d be frickin amazing!

Jesus, the Watson hype is getting a little out of control. In an average division that included the worst team in the league, Watson's Texans went 4-12. With a couple of the worst defenses the league has ever seen, Brees still dragged the Saints to 7-9 records. Watson needs a good supporting cast like anyone else. Add in the fact that his body is already starting to show signs of breaking down at 25 - a common side effect of guys that play the way he does - and that he hasn't made a ton of noise in the postseason even before his supporting cast was O'Brien'd, you have a guy who is very good, but getting best-player-in-the-league hype because of his brand and the fact that he is supposedly available.

Pump the brakes, folks. The Titans and Colts didn't mind him being in the division last year, and if any of our divisional opponents coughed up what will be needed to get him, Watson would be playing with the same kind of stripped down roster he had to deal with in Houston. We have one transitional year coming up, then we'll reload for 2022.

I don't if it has already been posted on the board, but I hear that Carolina could be a dark horse team that trades for Watson. We already have to deal with Brady twice a year and who knows what Arthur Smith will do with Atlanta. We don't need this guy in our division unless he's joining our squad.
He really wants to play in Atlanta or Carolina(near family). Why we need more talent at receiver and RB.

No chance we get Watson

We cant even keep our entire roster we have right now… how the fork we gonna add some 35 mil / year for Watson?
He's only a 15 million cap hit in '21 & '22. I say we package up Mike Thomas, another player, and a #1 pick and get this thing done. I like Mike, but I think he's going to be an issue in the locker room going forward without Drew here. Plus that takes a huge cap hit off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom