The late great Sam Mills - some wonderful insights (1 Viewer)

Geldo

Dome Patrol disciple
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
https://www.panthers.com/video/watch-sam-mills-a-football-life-19578866

I know it has been mentioned on here before but this film is incredible. Loads of contributions from Saints legends and some amazing insights into Sam’s life, his setbacks, and his ultimate victory.

If you are severely Pantherphobic go to 1:42 to start…(Link at top)

dome-patrol.jpg

On his height

Sam Mills: ‘Actually I’m 5-9 and ¾’

Jim Mora on first seeing him: ‘How we gonna win with a 5’9 ¼ linebacker?’

Great quotes:

Bobby Hebert: ‘If someone didn’t get along with Sam Mills they need to look in the mirror!’

Sam Mills: ‘I always wanted to be the first person to know how bad I am and the last person to know how good I am’.

Teammate at Montclair St: ‘You look like a mouse in a herd of elephants’

Herschel Walker after being battered by Sam: ‘Who the hell are you and where did you come from?’

Wonderful facts:

He didn’t make the NFL until he was 27 and still had 12-year career.

3 seasons in the USFL made all-league team all 3 seasons. 592 tackles. Two championships

In his first Saints practice Mora was worried he was too short. He lined up against a guard and beat him three straight plays…..Mora: ‘The Saints players went….woah!’

NFL all-pro at 37. Five pro bowls.

Getting cut:

1981/2 cut by the Browns, 1983 cut by the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL

Sam Mills: ‘I was running out of leagues’.

Cleveland head coach Sam Rutigliano to his friend Carl Peterson of the Philadelphia Stars on taking a chance on Sam: ‘We are cutting a player I don’t think we should cut. I think the only reason we are cutting him is because he is too short, but I really think this guy can play. Do not let him go until you see him play!’

He had been cut a few times in his career and so when he turned up in NOLA he decided to rent an apartment rather than buy a house. He only thought about something more permanent after a complete first year with the team.

Vince Tobin, DC with the Stars: ‘If he had had one bad practice he’d have been gone, but he never had one’

How good was Sam?

Jim Mora said: ‘(Sam was) the best player I ever coached. When you think about everything you’d like in a player on the field, off the field, everything….he’s the best – and I coached Peyton Manning for four years!’

Jim Mora: ‘(Jim) Kelly, (Steve) Young, Reggie White…Sam was every bit the player these guys (were).’

The Dome Patrol

Rickey: ‘Nobody, no better than us.’

Vaughan: ‘We were gonna make you pay when you came and played the Dome Patrol.

Sam was on child-minding duties on the night of the famous Dome Patrol photo. He hauled his son Sam along with him and the poor kid had to sit for hours watching on.

Vaughan Johnson believes Sam was standing on his tip-toes for the photo 😊

Sam used psychology to fire up his fellow LBs. He used to tell Rickey that they must be the best side of the defence and get more tackles that Vaughan and Pat.

Rickey: ‘Sam was like an extra coach on the field.’

Great moments on the video:

16:43 Sam coaching Vaughan and making him analyse the replay

17:13 the most iconic sight in early Saints history.

Last edited:
I was watching some old games from the 80s and 90s and Sam Mills was the smartest player on that defense. Ricky Jackson was all heart. Pat Swilling was speed and motor. Vaughan Johnson was a monster; when he hit someone, everyone including fans felt it.

That poster is everything. Every time I see it makes me feel some kind of way because I had it on my walls for years after The Dome Patrol disbanded. Then at some point during the Ditka Era/Error my stupid young self decided it wasn't cool anymore so I took it down, rolled it up, and promptly lost it.

A lot of those old Costacos Brothers posters didn't age well but that DP poster looks as awesome as ever.

That poster is everything. Every time I see it makes me feel some kind of way because I had it on my walls for years after The Dome Patrol disbanded. Then at some point during the Ditka Era/Error my stupid young self decided it wasn't cool anymore so I took it down, rolled it up, and promptly lost it.

A lot of those old Costacos Brothers posters didn't age well but that DP poster looks as awesome as ever.
Shake my head.....:(

I thought about selling mine for years, but then I bought my camel brown sofa. Had to keep it after that.

I can relate to not feeling a whole lot of fandom as the Mora years wound down and we endured the Ditka Error (you spelled it right the second time!)

Wish I'd kept a lot of older Saints stuff from childhood, including a pennant-style wall flag that showed the old duck-lips face mask on the helmet. Also had a Breakers pennant during their one season in town. On top of that, Security Sporting Goods (remember them, fellow natives?) used to sell nearly-authentic football helmets with almost enough padding in them to be game-legal. I had a Saints one and a Chargers one. Kept them until I moved out of the folks house....just can't trust the folks to keep stuff after you move out!

I did, however, keep my Swilling Strikes poster, autographed by Swilling himself :)

Best elevator ride ever!

Saints in Atlanta. Evening before game day. Wife and I were staying in the same hotel as the Saints. We walk into elevator heading up to our room. Just before the door closes, in walks Sam Mills! Friendly, cordial, great smile! I will cherish that brief moment/encounter forever.

I can relate to not feeling a whole lot of fandom as the Mora years wound down and we endured the Ditka Error (you spelled it right the second time!)

Wish I'd kept a lot of older Saints stuff from childhood, including a pennant-style wall flag that showed the old duck-lips face mask on the helmet. Also had a Breakers pennant during their one season in town. On top of that, Security Sporting Goods (remember them, fellow natives?) used to sell nearly-authentic football helmets with almost enough padding in them to be game-legal. I had a Saints one and a Chargers one. Kept them until I moved out of the folks house....just can't trust the folks to keep stuff after you move out!

I did, however, keep my Swilling Strikes poster, autographed by Swilling himself :)
Yeah it wasn't "cool" to be a Saints fan in the mid to late 90s. And as a teenager being cool was the only thing that mattered. So I stopped wearing my Apex/Starter Saints stuff and didn't take care of my Saints memorabilia like I should've. I have a late 80s/early 90s Saints pennant that has the awesome old school Saints helmet with the giant fleurs-de-lis but it's all beat up and my brother wrote on it with a crayon.

Of all the things I've lost from my childhood, that Dome Patrol poster stings the most.

Last edited:
He was a great RB. First ever live NFL game I saw I got a Christmas present to go see the Saints in the Meadowlands. Sam took a handoff from Jeff Blake* and ran it 75 yards for a TD.

*Edit: I think it was actually Browning Nagle at QB

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom