The latest Celebrex ad is hilarious (1 Viewer)

Chairman_LMAO

Cartoonish Supervillain
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I've been fortunate so far in that I've never really had to pay too much attention to pharmaceuticals. Oh I'm sure that time is coming, but as of today I don't have much need for anything from the pharmacy beyond cold medicine. Don't have the herp, don't have arthritis, don't have athsma, I get to sleep just fine, and of course I enjoy impeccable erectile function. :9:

But last night I found myself paying attention to the new ad for Celebrex, and realizing that somewhere along the line things have gotten pretty wacky while I wasn't looking. Going off memory, here were some of the things in the ad...

Let's be perfectly clear here, this medication, and others like it, could very well kill you. It's killed before, and it will kill again.

If it doesn't kill you, it's likely at the very least to make your life miserable. It'll give you the runs, insomnia, random aches and pains, blurry vision, make your tongue blue, and you may experience short periods of paralysis and/or dementia.

That being said, we do have it on good authority that there are a few people out there for whom the benefits actually outweigh the side effects and risks. No, really, it's true. We think. There really is a decent chance that this stuff might work.

The voice over guy sounded particularly proud when he pointed out that Celebrex has never been taken off the market.

Celebrex -- When You're Just That Desperate And Willing To Try Anything

Hey, I'm all for there being options in the market. Even crappy ones. If somebody is to the point where they're willing to take a long shot, with major drawbacks, at great expense, I'm all for that option being available to them. As long as there's full disclosure. I just find it hilarious how, at least in this case, the fine folks at Celebrex seem to be telling you in their ads that the cure is about 50/50 to be worse than the disease. Crazy.

Yeah, I saw that one too, and I found myself ROTFLMAO after actually paying attention to what they said. You nailed it with you paraphrase of it.

I, absolutely, at this point, staring at my monitor, agree.

:17:

TPS

just make more stuff to treat the symptoms...

there is no money in a cure, just keep treating the symptoms...

Propecia is another good example...it will help you to restore your hair growth...but you may experience sexual side-effects...ie..erectile dysfunction.....:covri: ...forget it...I'll go with the bald look.....anytime....:hihi:

25710-large.jpg

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7GvYI4VdVEI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7GvYI4VdVEI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Celebrex: so many side effects you can animate complete virtual worlds with the warning labels.

Chairman, I found the commercial pretty funny too. I have a pretty good idea why its written that way.

Celebrex and Vioxx are both non steroidal cox 2 inhibitors that have been fighting for mkt share for a while now. Both have been linked to heart attacks but only vioxx was taken off the market and hit by thousands of lawsuits.

The documents show that the makers of vioxx have known for some time it causes heart attacks and strokes. They suppressed that info for a while because vioxx was a huge moneymaker. Its now off the mkt and vioxx has entered into a 5 billion dollar settlement to wipe out most of the cases. Part of the problem for Vioxx in the lawsuits was they failed to adequately warn. Even beneficial drugs have side effects and you might be willing to knowing risk taking them if the benefit outweighs the risk.

Vioxx got taken off the mkt, celebrex never did. Celebrex is defending a lot of suits but not nearly so many as vioxx. Some studies suggest it is not as risky as vioxx even though its in the same class of drugs.

The commercials seem designed to defeat future lawsuits. The makers of celebrex can point to their labeling and commercials to show users have been fair warned about the risks and must consult with their doctors to see if the risk is appropriate for them. Those with heart problems and arthritis probably shouldnt take celebrex.

The commercials are still remarkable in that its the farthest I have seen a pharmaceutical company go the emphasize the dangerous side effects of using the drug. I think thats actually a good effect of the litigation. Vioxx killed a lot of people and has been linked to thousands of strokes and heart attacks. It might have been a good drug for some, but clearly not for people at risk for heart attacks and strokes.

I’m too young to worry about this stuff right now, but I’m sure that when I’m in my late 50’s I won’t mind dealing with a little rectal bleeding in exchange for being “fully functional.”

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7GvYI4VdVEI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7GvYI4VdVEI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Celebrex: so many side effects you can animate complete virtual worlds with the warning labels.

Good God, that's a long ad. They better not run it during the Super Bowl -- that would cost more than settling any lawsuits.

It's amazing how the drug ads get longer and longer, but not due to informing you of the good side, it's informing you of the laundry list of side effects. Next time any drug commercial comes on and see how long the side effects speech goes on. It's usually around 50% of the commercial.

They are getting better and better at advertising these drugs. Just look at the ED commercials and see the subtle hints like things shaped like genitles, hard objects, etc. It's rather funny to me, but it's also so mind boggling how they throw those subtleties in there and how most don't catch it.

I still have to marvel at the drug that suppresses restless leg syndrome. They even make it "official" sounding by calling it RLS as if everyone should already be aware of the danges of RLS. So, you take a pill to suppress RLS, but the side effects could be increased GAMBLING, SEXUAL and other INTENSE URGES. GAMBLING???????????? INTENSE URGES???????? To suppress a jittery leg? That's a rather vague phrasing if you ask me. A whole plethora of definitions could fit in that category.

There are much better healthier alternatives that actually cure the problem. What's even more funny (yet VERY sad) is that holistic, natural based cures that have been around for thousands of years are the ones labeled incorrectly as alternatives when the newer less effective suppressants are labeled conventional. A bit backwards if you ask me.

Last edited:
It's amazing how the drug ads get longer and longer, but not due to informing you of the good side, it's informing you of the laundry list of side effects. Next time any drug commercial comes on and see how long the side effects speech goes on. It's usually around 50% of the commercial.

They are getting better and better at advertising these drugs. Just look at the ED commercials and see the subtle hints like things shaped like genitles, hard objects, etc. It's rather funny to me, but it's also so mind boggling how they throw those subtleties in there and how most don't catch it.

I still have to marvel at the drug that suppresses restless leg syndrome. They even make it "official" sounding by calling it RLS as if everyone should already be aware of the danges of RLS. So, you take a pill to suppress RLS, but the side effects could be increased GAMBLING, SEXUAL and other INTENSE URGES. GAMBLING???????????? INTENSE URGES???????? To suppress a jittery leg? That's a rather vague phrasing if you ask me. A whole plethora of definitions could fit in that category.

There are much better healthier alternatives that actually cure the problem. What's even more funny (yet VERY sad) is that holistic, natural based cures that have been around for thousands of years are the ones labeled incorrectly as alternatives when the newer less effective suppressants are labeled conventional. A bit backwards if you ask me.

Good Post!! I am a herbal remedy guy.. Other countrys actually prescribe herbal remedys.. In Germany St. Johns Wort (a weed which grows wild) is prescribed instead of antidepressant drugs..and many pharmacuedical drugs are synthetic forms of herbs.... Efedrine the drug banned recently is the synthetic form of Efedra... a plant used for years to treat asthma and other breathing ailments....

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EbSSG4OGI64&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EbSSG4OGI64&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom