The Leftovers (HBO) (2 Viewers)

I liked the last episode and hated the last episode. I found it interesting that Nora said she as a "ghost" in the world that her children and husband were in. The ending simply never explained the "why" of what happened. Why were all these people transported to this new world or alternate reality? And also, if a man was able to build a machine to allow him to travel to the other place, was the disappearance even related to a religious experience?

So who are the leftovers?? Which world are they in?? Nora said her husband remarried and her kids were well. So were the people in the show actually the one's who departed?? Im still lost.

Loved how the show ended. Put me in the camp of believer. The acting was amazing.

There is an awesome article on shooting the last episode. You guys should look it up.

They answered why in the tiger orgy episode. God said he did it because he could.

Kevin believes her and that's all that matters now.

For me, another construct. She found the dude who made the machine? To make another to come back? Stop it lolol

What a great finale.

Gonna miss the acting in this ...it was absolutely great.
k

but isn't the notion of construct a bit more fluid in this instance?
Kevin's hotel is a construct but it's very real

the show asks us to buy into the idea of 2% disappearing
once we do that then the notion of 98% disappearing is just as likely
everything is possible and the question of "probability" is out particular hang-up

are you arguing that Nora doesn't believe? they stress Nora being truthful past the point where it does her any good - though they do give us the out with the nun catching her in a lie

what i'm certain of is the writers walked a very narrow, very ambiguous line that allows both for Nora going there and back and Nora lying (i don't see the possibility of Nora being delusional) - where we land on Nora truth/lie is out story about ourselves as much as theirs

but the ending does seem to tip its hat to the "love is not real" side
of maybe more like public, ceremonial acts of love are useless and pointless

but why the gap in their return until she indicates her love for Kevin?

and why hasn't anyone mentioned the goat wearing mardi gras beads?

The nun comes right out and says this.

As Nora cycled away from the nun, I realized that was one of lindlehof's sub-themes
Naked "truth" without context can be just as debilitating as bald face lies
It's like Nora was a drug counselor and her only advice was "cold turkey"
And the show is supporting the idea that some white lies can be lie methadone

but isn't the notion of construct a bit more fluid in this instance?
Kevin's hotel is a construct but it's very real

the show asks us to buy into the idea of 2% disappearing
once we do that then the notion of 98% disappearing is just as likely
everything is possible and the question of "probability" is out particular hang-up

are you arguing that Nora doesn't believe? they stress Nora being truthful past the point where it does her any good - though they do give us the out with the nun catching her in a lie

what i'm certain of is the writers walked a very narrow, very ambiguous line that allows both for Nora going there and back and Nora lying (i don't see the possibility of Nora being delusional) - where we land on Nora truth/lie is out story about ourselves as much as theirs

no im not arguing she doesnt believe. She does believe where she "went" was real. Just as Kevin did.

ever have a dream and wake thinking "did that really happen"? Where your mind made it seem you lived that dream, stored memory of it as if you lived it.

For me, Nora's experience was in the same vein as Kevins. I choose to think they both "lived" it so that each could "move on" from the turmoil within

The side that had the 2% now has the guy who built the machine that can send people to the other place. Why not just build thousands of locations with machines that can send people back and let them go back to the world they departed from? "Because I can" is too convenient an out to explain why the event took place. Also, so we are to believe that God sent people to a parallel dimension that a man was able to figure out a way to traverse? I loved the show, I really did but it just doesn't explain the guilty remnant, it doesn't explain the dogs hunting the deer, it doesn't explain Holy Wayne from the first season. To me, it left so many questions unanswered.

I loved the show, I really did but it just doesn't explain the guilty remnant, it doesn't explain the dogs hunting the deer, it doesn't explain Holy Wayne from the first season. To me, it left so many questions unanswered.

For me, I wasn't seeking an explanation. GR, Holy Wayne, along with other several other things were merely mechanisms for everyone grasping for ways to make sense of the Departure. If Holy Wayne was actually what he was presented to be, Nora would not have continued down the path that she followed through the course of the series.

A huge hint at the alternate reality was in Kevin's 'deaths'. All of his encounters were with people that had died, not departed.

A huge hint at the alternate reality was in Kevin's 'deaths'. All of his encounters were with people that had died, not departed.

someone pointed out that the only difference between Kevin's Hotel/Australia realm and Nora's 2% realm is that we saw Kevin's and only heard about Nora's

obviously part of that is what the creators decided to show - and if Nora was BSing then they can't show that - but i do think they main difference between believing Kevin and not believing Nora is seen vs heard

someone pointed out that the only difference between Kevin's Hotel/Australia realm and Nora's 2% realm is that we saw Kevin's and only heard about Nora's

obviously part of that is what the creators decided to show - and if Nora was BSing then they can't show that - but i do think they main difference between believing Kevin and not believing Nora is seen vs heard

I completely believed Nora's story while watching Nora tell it, which probably says as much about the quality of Carrie Coons' acting as anything. In retrospect, her story being untrue is an equally valid interpretation. Either way, I thought it was a an excellent and fully satisfying finale.

I'm going to watch it again but my head is still spinning from the ending.
At first my thoughts were that he was in the dead place again and she was their after she went through the machine. He didn't tell her and she didn't tell him and he was just staying there to be with her. But I'll have to watch it again to see if there are holes. Typically there is a fantasy when he goes and I assumed this one was growing old with her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom