The LeRoy Kelly Rule and the Saints Draft (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
In 1963 The Browns had the best football Player EVER......RB Jim Brown.
In 1963 He played in arguably one of the best seasons ever....

14 Games (full season)
291 carries
1863 yards
6.4 ypc
12 Rushing TDs
24 receptions
268 yds receiving
11.2 ypcatch
3 Receiving TDs

Note this was NOT Jim Browns last season and he was only in his 9th season
With all that who do the Clevland Browns draft?

They draft RB LeRoy Kelly

You decide Good Draft Pick or Bad Draft Pick?
Hint: LeRoy Kelly is in the Hall of Fame
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=113

The lesson:
Who you have makes no difference on who you should draft. You might have the best player to EVER play in the NFL. If you have a shot at another great player at the same position, you simply take him no questions asked.

I know this can be a tough time for some. I hope this little tidbit of history helps.

Basically what we did with Deuce. Ricky Williams was no Jim Brown but we had NO NEED at RB. Fan's didn't understand why we would do it. Deuce is now one of the greatest Saints of all time. Take the BPA (within reason which means no QB, K, or P unless there is some sort of need)

Are you using that example as the basis for suggesting that the Saints should/will draft a QB tonight if the "right" one is available, or is this just a general comment on the draft?

In 1963 The Browns had the best football Player EVER......RB Jim Brown.
In 1963 He played in arguably one of the best seasons ever....

14 Games (full season)
291 carries
1863 yards
6.4 ypc
12 Rushing TDs
24 receptions
268 yds receiving
11.2 ypcatch
3 Receiving TDs

Note this was NOT Jim Browns last season and he was only in his 9th season
With all that who do the Clevland Browns draft?

They draft RB LeRoy Kelly

You decide Good Draft Pick or Bad Draft Pick?
Hint: LeRoy Kelly is in the Hall of Fame
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=113

The lesson:
Who you have makes no difference on who you should draft. You might have the best player to EVER play in the NFL. If you have a shot at another great player at the same position, you simply take him no questions asked.

I know this can be a tough time for some. I hope this little tidbit of history helps.

I don't ALAWYS agree with the BPA approach, but good find...

BPA approach is not for the faint of heart, but if you can stick to it you do better in the long run.

Are you using that example as the basis for suggesting that the Saints should/will draft a QB tonight if the "right" one is available, or is this just a general comment on the draft?

Not suggesting any such QB - just a general reminder. We all love our Saints and have for years invested a lot of emotion into pre-draft preperation. Some times a crazy pick (or so it seems) can be very frustrating.

This is just a little reminder to make it a little easier to bear and hopefully save a little hair.

Not suggesting any such QB - just a general reminder. We all love our Saints and have for years invested a lot of emotion into pre-draft preperation. Some times a crazy pick (or so it seems) can be very frustrating.

This is just a little reminder to make it a little easier to bear and hopefully save a little hair.

Point well taken. I think most people have come to terms with the P Rob pick. After the initial surprise wore off, I remember the last few picks I have been generally confused or upset by.

Upset: Meachem. Was at Jazzfest, had given instructions to friends to call/text me the pick. I honestly thought my friend was joking when he said we picked Meach. In hindsight (w/o getting in a Meachem debate), it's looking better and better every year.

Surprise: Jammal Brown. When I saw we moved up right before the draft went to commercial, all I was debating was whether I would rather see Derrick Johnson or Thomas Davis in the B&G next season. We finally had our linebacker! I was stunned when we picked Brown. Again, worked out great.

P Rob was a stud in college, regardless of how many INTs he had as a senior. The line between starter and reserve is very blurred in the NFL these days with 4 receiver sets, the prevalence of nickel and dime packages, and the importance of special teams. I am confident, barring something unforeseen, that Robinson will get significant PT this season. I like the pick, Who Dat.

Basically what we did with Deuce. Ricky Williams was no Jim Brown but we had NO NEED at RB. Fan's didn't understand why we would do it. Deuce is now one of the greatest Saints of all time. Take the BPA (within reason which means no QB, K, or P unless there is some sort of need)

We did, and not to disagree with the best player available theme, but we also knew by then that Ricky was a Class A knucklehead and it was a matter of time before he was suspended, AWOL, or worse, so we definitely had a NEED even thought it appeared on the surface that we didn't.

Leroy Kelly was an 8th round pick. I'm sure other positions of need were already filled by the time he was picked. This is more like a precursor to Colston than an example of drafting BPA versus need.

sure ... since OL and RB are the same type of play

NEWWWWWWWWWWWW YORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRK.

I understand BPA What I dont understand is who will be playing NT OLB orwhat we are going to do when cut time comes around.....

you build dynasties by taking bpa at important positions. it was a solid pick.

Is the "right" QB available in this draft? Personally I don't think even Bradford will hold a candle to Brees in his career, and the rest of the class at QB is OK but hardly spectacular. Maybe if one of those guys were available at #96 it would be a valid question, because at #96 Clausen or McCoy could be the "best player available", but that's not going to happen. Neither of those guys, or Tebow, would have been the BPA at 32. McCoy was not the BPA at 64.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom