The Lone Ranger movie (1 Viewer)

woohoosaint

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I grew up watching reruns of the old tv series and,judging from the previews, it doesn't seem to have a whole lot in common with the original series.

But,having said that...I'll still probably go and see the movie.

The Lone Ranger was ambushed and captured by an enemy Indian war party. The Indian Chief proclaims "So, you are the great Lone Ranger. In honor of the Harvest Festival you will be executed in three days. But, before I kill you, I will grant you three requests. What is your first request?"
The Lone Ranger responds, "I'd like to speak to my horse."
Chief nods and Silver is brought before the Lone Ranger. The Lone Ranger whispers in Silver's ear and the horse gallops away.
Later that evening, Silver returns with a beautiful blond woman on his back. As the Indian Chief watches, the blond enters the Lone Ranger's tent and spends the night.
The next morning the Indian Chief admits he's impressed. "You have a very fine and loyal horse, but I will still kill you in two days. What is your second request?"
The Lone Ranger again asks to speak to his horse. Silver is brought to him and he again whispers in the horse's ear. As before, Silver takes off across the plains and disappears over the horizon.
Later that evening, to the Chief's surprise, Silver again returns, this time with a voluptuous brunet, even more attractive than the blond. She enters the Lone Ranger's tent and spends the night.
The following morning the Indian Chief is again impressed. "You are indeed a man of many talents, but I will still kill you tomorrow. What is your last request?"
The Lone Ranger responds, "I'd like to speak to my horse, alone."
The Chief is curious, but he agrees and Silver is brought to the Lone Ranger's tent. Once they're alone, the Lone Ranger grabs Silver by both ears, looks him square in the eye and says, "Listen carefully, for the last time, I need a posse! P - O - S - S - E !!!!"

I've lived a pretty good life. I have a successful marriage with two really great children. I am a cancer survivor (minor case), and have enjoyed good health to this point in my life. I am faithful in my Church attendance and participation. I never seem to make enough money, but somehow muddle through each month. I am moderately successful in my job performance in support of a worthwhile educational effort. I have enjoyed a Championship season from each of the athletic teams that I have chosen to support with the exception of in the NBA, and that isn't as big a deal as it could be, as I'm not the biggest basketball fan. I have dipped my toes in both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. I've picked my own apples and strawberries, eaten fresh fish that I helped catch, enjoyed a steak at Morten's in Chicago, attended a baseball game at Wrigley Field, visited over half of the states so far, have completed a 5k run, won a couple of fantasy football championships, and have many great memories of times spent with family and friends.

In short, I don't have many legitimate complaints. And I try to avoid making them, because no one really wants to hear them. But, this week, I have one request. In the retelling of stories that I enjoyed from my youth, the people behind the productions have often adjusted the story to better fit a broader audience. I get and accept that. They have often taken the source material and completely changed facets of it to produce a tale unrecognizable from the original except for the character names. Some have still offered a decent entertainment value. Some have taken the story to new standards of excellence. But some have completely destroyed the memory of the original. This is what concerns me.

Of the childhood memories I have held most dear into my adulthood, none has remained as pure as "The Lone Ranger". It was my life when I was four. My family's Saint Bernard was Silver, and tolerated my trying to ride on her back while chasing the evil Butch Cavendish across the back yard. The very sound of "William Tell Overture" still grabs my attention. The memory is still pure, as the story has not been touched in years.

My only hope and request is that this new incarnation by Disney not suck. It doesn’t need to be Oscar worthy. I don't need it to be a life affirming tale of triumph. I am not expecting it to "complete me". I get that it is an escapist summer blockbuster. And I'm ok with that. Just please don't let it suck.

Last edited:
I've lived a pretty good life. I have a successful marriage with two really great children. I am a cancer survivor (minor case), and have enjoyed good health to this point in my life. I am faithful in my Church attendance and participation. I never seem to make enough money, but somehow muddle through each month. I am moderately successful in my job performance in support of a worthwhile educational effort. I have enjoyed a Championship season from each of the athletic teams that I have chosen to support with the exception of in the NBA, and that isn't as big a deal as it could be, as I'm not the biggest basketball fan. I have dipped my toes in both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. I've picked my own apples and strawberries, eaten fresh fish that I helped catch, enjoyed a steak at Morten's in Chicago, attended a baseball game at Wrigley Field, visited over half of the states so far, have completed a 5k run, won a couple of fantasy football championships, and have many great memories of times spent with family and friends.

In short, I don't have many legitimate complaints. And I try to avoid making them, because no one really wants to hear them. But, this week, I have one request. In the retelling of stories that I enjoyed from my youth, the people behind the productions have often adjusted the story to better fit a broader audience. I get and accept that. They have often taken the source material and completely changed facets of it to produce a tale unrecognizable from the original except for the character names. Some have still offered a decent entertainment value. Some have taken the story to new standards of excellence. But some have completely destroyed the memory of the original. This is what concerns me.

Of the childhood memories I have held most dear into my adulthood, none has remained as pure as "The Lone Ranger". It was my life when I was four. My family's Saint Bernard was Silver, and tolerated my trying to ride on her back while chasing the evil Butch Cavendish across the back yard. The very sound of "William Tell Overture" still grabs my attention. The memory is still pure, as the story has not been touched in years.

My only hope and request is that this new incarnation by Disney not suck. It doesn’t need to be Oscar worthy. I don't need it to be a life affirming tale of triumph. I am not expecting it to "complete me". I get that it is an escapist summer blockbuster. And I'm ok with that. Just please don't let it suck.
If Depps role is significant, the movie wont suck as I'm sure he'll bring sense of comedy he brought to Pirates and if is worthy, Disney will bank on sequels.

Perserve your childhood memories, don't go see it.

It's not that it's all that bad. It wasn't good but it wasn't awful. It's just that it's not the Lone Ranger. Not even close. Not even kind of like the Lone Ranger unless you include the fact that he had an indian side kick.

They could have called this moving something else, changed the character names and I'd have no idea it was supposed to be the Lone Ranger.

You know, I know it's getting a lot of critical hate. And to be honest, I think the western genre is dead. Save your Unforgiven or Tombstone movies, it's just not a genre that people connect to anymore. But I enjoyed it. I don't have a connection to the Lone Ranger, and I don't know a lot about his origins. I went in with low expectations, and I was very pleasantly surprised. It was very much an origin story, where he wasn't really the hero-type "Lone Ranger" until the finale (which was pretty great). I can see where some people have issues, though. The tone is a bit up and down. You go from some Johnny Depp slapstick to cannibalism and back fairly quickly, so I can see how that would cause some issues. However, I enjoyed it.

I know the origins of Tonto and the Lone Ranger's relationship wasn't cannon, but I liked what they did with Tonto, and I liked that the Lone Ranger really changed as a character as the movie progressed. There was some fluff (I love her, but they could've cut all of Helena Bonham Carter's story), but I thought it was an enjoyable if not uneven ride.

I'd love for them to make another one to see where they'd go from here, but there's a generally negative perception of it (that's existed for months, I bought into it) so I'm expecting it to bomb and this being a one-off. If it blows up overseas, it's got a chance, but I think it'll probably open no higher than 3rd this week (behind Despicable Me 2 and probably Monster's University), and it'll get buried domestically after this weekend with Pacific Rim, Grown Ups 2, and The Wolverine all opening up this month.

For months, industry scuttlebutt has tagged this as the bomb of the year, and that prophecy seems to be coming true. Initial audience scores are better than the critics' (bearing in mind that those audience scores come from a largely self-selecting group of viewers who were inclined to like the picture anyway), but the crowds are very small for a project of this size. Meanwhile the Minions are mauling the Masked Man . . .

Box Office -- 'Despicable Me 2' Opens Big Against 'Lone Ranger' (Deadline Hollywood/Nikki Finke)

Disney’s expensive The Lone Ranger (3,904 theaters) received a ‘B+’ CinemaScore from audiences who obviously disagreed with the lousy reviews given the movie from professional critics. So word of mouth may help this Western overcome its disastrous opening underperformance for only $9.7M Wednesday. Rival studios say that means the Jerry Bruckheimer actioner may not even pass $50M for its first 5 days barring a miracle. That’s way below even Disney’s low-ball projection of $65M for North America. Now it appears the actioner won’t cover its high $215M-$250M cost despite this holiday’s 4x multiple. One head-scratcher is where all that money went. Apparently to above the line costs like stars Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer and director Gore Verbinski and producer Jerry Bruckheimer and the 3 credited screenwriters Justin Haythe, Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio.

Depp’s worldwide popularity may, repeat may, help overseas where oaters usually don’t excel. Lone Ranger opens day and date in 30% of the foreign landscape but only 4 big markets: Italy and Russia (releasing July 2) and Australia and Korea (July 4). Disney first announced the project five years ago (when Dick Cook was chairman of Walt Disney Studios) and it was always a risky bet since young moviegoers have largely stayed away from Westerns and have little familiarity with the masked man or his sidekick. Disney was clearly hoping to replicate the success it had with Pirates Of The Caribbean by going back to the same trilogy filmmaking team of Bruckheimer, Verbinski, and Depp.

As Deadline was first to report, the studio in August 2011 shut down Lone Ranger for six months after the budget ballooned out of control. Too bad Disney didn’t just scrap the pic altogether. Especially after big budget Westerns Wild Wild West, Cowboys And Aliens, Jonah Hex all flopped while the Coen Brothers’ True Grit reboot cost only $43M and made major coin. After a year of bad buzz, Lone Ranger opened Tuesday night with an unimpressive $2M for late shows through midnights. Then Fandango saw even more handwriting on the wall Wednesday morning when Despicable Me 2 was scooping up 71% of ticket sales and Lone Ranger only 12%.

I am thinking the stuffed bird on the head is a bit too much and super corney... I mean like.. really.. the bird ain't even alive,...

Joe

Last edited:
You know, I know it's getting a lot of critical hate. And to be honest, I think the western genre is dead. Save your Unforgiven or Tombstone movies, it's just not a genre that people connect to anymore.

I kind of agree they are dead, the two you mentioned and Open Range are the only three I have in my collection. The first Young Guns was real good. But I am not sold that you can't connect with it. They had kind of disappeared before the ones we mentioned came out but people connected with those. They just have to be done right.

I kind of agree they are dead, the two you mentioned and Open Range are the only three I have in my collection. The first Young Guns was real good. But I am not sold that you can't connect with it. They had kind of disappeared before the ones we mentioned came out but people connected with those. They just have to be done right.

I really enjoyed the remake of True Grit as well. The thing is westerns have to be done really well to connect. It's not like some genres where you can spit in a bowl and cash in for 300 million with it (re: The Transformers movies). Since they have no intrinsic value in terms of people personally relating the story and acting have to really be top notch.

The Hatfields and McCoys was an awesome mini-series.

That's pretty recent. And I believe it did quite well.

Lonesome Dove was awesome. Dances With Wolves was awesome. I'd even include Last of the Mohicans in that category.

It can be done. Seems like they're only successful as tragedies though.

Happy westerns starring Will Smith and Jack Sparrow are destined for failure.

I saw The Lone Ranger yesterday. It was not awful, but it was not the Lone Ranger. It started off introducing the audience to Tonto in a most bizarre way. Neither Clayton Moore nor Jay Silverheels would likely endorse this as a Lone Ranger movie/

It was silly, Depp played Tonto like he did in the Pirates movies. Armand Hammer's protrayal was disappointing. The movie was entertaining, don't get me wrong, and there were similarities to the original story, bit do not go expecting the traditional Lone Ranger. Frankly I would have been disappointed if it was just a re-hash of the classic version that had been done previously, it needed something different. IMO, this was not it.

Finally, for the affeciando, they did play the William Tell music near the end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom