The loss of Jerome Bushrod (2 Viewers)

Brown is a better Lt right now than bushrod was when he took the starting job.

I do not think Bushrod wanted to stay. He watched Carl Nicks leave and get paid. He knew there was no room for contract growth in our cap. He played well, but our offense has lacked a consistency in scoring in big games, and with the pressure that mounted as the defense failed the past two seasons. Drew being rushed by good teams was a problem.

Main thing is that I think he wanted out. I wish him well.

He wanted to get paid. Saints were not going to come anywhere close to $7 million a year.

It had absolutely nothing to do with whether he wanted to stay here or not. His druthers would have been for the Saints to pay him that $7 million instead so he doesn't get exposed for being a mediocre pass protector with Jay Cutler.

Brown is a better Lt right now than bushrod was when he took the starting job.

Bushrod started as a first year player from a small school nobody heard of and won a super bowl...Brown was a 2nd round pick from USC who has yet to hold on to the job at LT or RT....I will like to add that injuries have been the reason for it and not his abilities..I think he will make a better LT than Bushrod based off his athletic ability and his long arms...I think he has really only gotten better since he was drafted and has played well whenever inserted into the lineup, but there was always a injury that had him back on the sideline...but I think Brown will do just fine at LT.

Bushrod started as a first year player from a small school nobody heard of and won a super bowl...Brown was a 2nd round pick from USC who has yet to hold on to the job at LT or RT....I will like to add that injuries have been the reason for it and not his abilities..I think he will make a better LT than Bushrod based off his athletic ability and his long arms...I think he has really only gotten better since he was drafted and has played well whenever inserted into the lineup, but there was always a injury that had him back on the sideline...but I think Brown will do just fine at LT.

Lol.... bushrod absolutely did not start in his first year.... that's beyond funny. He was a backup in 07 and 08..... aside from that... browns major problem was limited action in college. So he had some recognition problems and some technique work to do.

Care to explain?

He is saying that Bushrod taking over for an injured Jammal Brown was sorta thrown into the fire after 2 years sitting and he worked out ok. Charles Brown (Tho I am skeptic because he has landed on the IR 3 out of 3 years) Has been groomed for this for 3 years, and the FO obviously feels comfortable moving forward.

Brown at this point in his career > Bushrod when he took over in 2009 (not sure I agree, time will tell)

I really hope so, I would still like to see the breakdown on Bushrod's deal, I feel we could have gotten him cheaper than Chicago if we franchised him and worked out a long term deal back loading the contract essentially signing him to a 3 year deal, and ask him to restructure before he saw those final 2 years, or cut him if he declined. It's how I would have handled the situation. But Benson employ's Loomis and Payton to make these calls, not superquincy so my opinion is moot.

My plan would also involve cutting Smith to fit a franchised Bushrod under the cap while we worked out a long term contract, so if Smith blows up in the 3- 4 and Brown is solid I would be double wrong. Just don't like what we have on the roster for tackles right now. I am fine with the DE's minus Smith.

Charles Brown can't stay healthy as a backup. You guys are really suggesting that he should be the starting LT? You need to wake up.

The Saints would be irresponsible to depend on Brown. Quite honestly...I would seriously question Loomis's decision making. This could easily be the difference between playoffs and not playoffs.

Heard briefly on WWL this evening with Bobby Hebert saying something to the effect the Saints appear to be looking inward to either Marcel Jones or Charles Brown for the left tackle position.

He is saying that Bushrod taking over for an injured Jammal Brown was sorta thrown into the fire after 2 years sitting and he worked out ok. Charles Brown (Tho I am skeptic because he has landed on the IR 3 out of 3 years) Has been groomed for this for 3 years, and the FO obviously feels comfortable moving forward.

Brown at this point in his career > Bushrod when he took over in 2009 (not sure I agree, time will tell)

I really hope so, I would still like to see the breakdown on Bushrod's deal, I feel we could have gotten him cheaper than Chicago if we franchised him and worked out a long term deal back loading the contract essentially signing him to a 3 year deal, and ask him to restructure before he saw those final 2 years, or cut him if he declined. It's how I would have handled the situation. But Benson employ's Loomis and Payton to make these calls, not superquincy so my opinion is moot.

My plan would also involve cutting Smith to fit Bushrod under the cap while we worked out a long term contract, so if Smith blows up in the 3- 4 and Brown is solid I would be double wrong. Just don't like what we have on the roster for tackles right now. I am fine with the DE's minus Smith.

But YOU are still making MY points:

"I am skeptic because he has landed on the IR 3 out of 3 years"

Meanwhile, Bushrod started every game the last 4 years.

"Brown at this point in his career > Bushrod when he took over in 2009 (not sure I agree, time will tell)"

So I want to know why Randy thinks Brown is a better LT right now than Bushrod was when he became a starter, when for 3 years he couldnt beat him out (or even zack for that matter), and ended up on IR each and every season. Moreover, Brown has never played a single regular season down at LT, at any level, in over 3 years.

Whatever he saw in Brown that makes him think he's better than Bushrod. I just didnt see it, but maybe I missed something that he could enlighten me with.

As for your ops on Bushod and his contract, I said the exact thing: give him a backloaded contract, hold him for 3 years, and go from there. And we struggled at RT last year. Now we have to work on BOTH tackle spots. We're tight on cap space, so chances are, barring some miracle, we wont get one in FA. We're also thin on draft picks and could really use em for D (This is one of the BIGGEST reasons I wanted Bushrod back, so we could focus on D). Now we may have to use an early one on an OT.

Its way too early to "panic", so just put me down as "concerned' for now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom