The loss of Jerome Bushrod (1 Viewer)

i think he will cost. im starting to think we will go with charles brown, pick up a value LT in FA and draft one in the later rounds.

I dont think he will. Philly looking at him tho. Andre Smith still available too.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

The issue with Vollmer is he has played RT for most of his NFL career, although he was an excellent LT in college making first team all-conference. So probably won't be an issue moving back to the left tackle position.

He is coming off a knee injury, so he probably won't command as much as probably Smith or Long.

If we can get Vollmer at the same price the Bears paid Bushrod, that would be quite a coup and quite an upgrade.

I just don't see the Saints paying Vollmer what Bushrod was paid by the Bears.

Mickey Loomis said in his press release aster the signing of Rob Ryan that if the Saints lose Bushrod leaves it would create a need at OT that would have to be addressed. In other words...they would have to bring someone in.

I just don't see the Saints paying Vollmer what Bushrod was paid by the Bears.

Vollmer is well worth $7 million a year. That's good value at the left tackle position.

Average salary of starting LT will approach 6 million in 2013. The average.

I am pretty aggravated by this to be honest.

Bushrod is 28 years old, I would say entering his prime. While he isn't the best LT in the league, he was the best one we had. The cupboard is bare bones. Everyone is replaceable, just make sure you have the replacement first. I an not comfortable with Brown taking over the LT spot, and while Drew makes tackles look better with his footwork and ability to slide up in the pocket, having a serviceable LT is always a big plus.

Yet we let him walk because we were broke, but we find money for Smith, and Vilma who are on the wrong side of 30 do not fit what we are doing on defense and we have a few guys who can fill their roles already on the roster. Aggravated to say the least. We let the wrong guy walk out the door. With Miami filling their WR void in FA, they will probably look for Longs replacement in the draft. The 3 tackles who are ready to step in an play right away will surely be gone Joeckel will go to KC 1st, Fisher will be an Eagle, and Johnson will either go to Arizona at 7, San Diego at 11, no way he falls past Miami at 12 with the void Long left.

Our tackles suck right now, and with limited money, no viable option at 15 in the draft, and no second rounder the chances we improve over Bushrod is unlikely.

Bushrod is 28 years old, I would say entering his prime. While he isn't the best LT in the league, he was the best one we had. The cupboard is bare bones. Everyone is replaceable, just make sure you have the replacement first. I an not comfortable with Brown taking over the LT spot, and while Drew makes tackles look better with his footwork and ability to slide up in the pocket, having a serviceable LT is always a big plus.

Yet we let him walk because we were broke, but we find money for Smith, and Vilma who are on the wrong side of 30 do not fit what we are doing on defense and we have a few guys who can fill their roles already on the roster. Aggravated to say the least. We let the wrong guy walk out the door. With Miami filling their WR void in FA, they will probably look for Longs replacement in the draft. The 3 tackles who are ready to step in an play right away will surely be gone Joeckel will go to KC 1st, Fisher will be an Eagle, and Johnson will either go to Arizona at 7, San Diego at 11, no way he falls past Miami at 12 with the void Long left.

Our tackles suck right now, and with limited money, no viable option at 15 in the draft, and no second rounder the chances we improve over Bushrod is unlikely.

I would have been extremely upset had we signed Bushrod at 5 years and 34 million.

Mickey Loomis said in his press release aster the signing of Rob Ryan that if the Saints lose Bushrod leaves it would create a need at OT that would have to be addressed. In other words...they would have to bring someone in.

Loomis says a lot of things. Some of them are true and others are to confuse other teams. It's hard to tell which is which. Plus, he might just mean that we need depth, not a new starter.

I say we just sit out of the NFL this year. What would even be the point of playing this season?

Your starting left tackle the last four years is gone without a contingency plan - and everyone is twisting themselves into pretzels telling themselves its alright - nothing to worry about.

I'm going outside to make sure the sky is blue.

Your starting left tackle the last four years is gone without a contingency plant - and everyone is twisting themselves into pretzels telling themselves its alright - nothing to worry about.

I'm going outside to make sure the sky is blue.

Yeah, there is no way that the team had any idea that Bushrod would leave. They probably didn't even know he was a free agent this year. No way they have a plan regarding who will replace him. We probably will just put an extra WR on the line and play with 4 linemen. I'm telling you, we just need to pack it up for the season.

You mention we found money for Vilma and Smith, yet if we had let them walk I believe the cap hit would have been the same.

I agree, for a number of reasons:

Not only is JB only 28, he did not become a full time starter until the 09 season. In terms of wear and tear, he's only had 4 years of mileage.

In those 4 years, he was solid AND durable. He never missed a game. Compare his play to the play on the right side and the number of injuries there the last 2 years.

Charles Brown has been here 3 years, and has ended on IR each and every one of those years. Even when healthy, he could not beat out Bushrod at LT OR Zack at RT.

Despite his mobility, Drew aint gettin no younger. Having Brown or a young player there puts more pressure on #9. Given the way Brown has produced so far, I'd take my chances on the young player. Might end up being a draft pick. Only there probably wont be one there at 15, and we dont't have a 2nd rd pick. So now what? Hold our breath for another "sleeper" later?

What about a vet FA? Who? As far as I know, there are few good OTs out there in FA, and less LTs. Either they will be comin off of injuries, played RT and now have to move over to LT, or will cost waaay more than Bushrod.

Anybody in house? Along with Brown (IRes), Bryce Harris (IRed) and William Robinson and Marcel Jones (IRed) are all possibilities. Nothing certain with any of them, but as a group, while inexperienced, they're young, and one could step out and compete for a LT spot. Again, Im not holding my breath there. But with Zacks poor play last year, one or 2 will give him some competition at RT.

As for Bushrod, I felt all along we should get him back, with a 5 year, about 35 mil contract, which is pretty much what he got. Some else posted that 6mil will be the average salary for LTs. Thats not "reach money" for JB.

Here's a few other things to consider. JB made 3.25 mil this past season and 4.5 against the cap. JBs new contract will earn him a 17 mil signing bonus, a lil over 3 mil a year against the cap. Thats his GUARANTEED money. It'll also probably be a back load contract, which means he'll not see the salary portion (18 mil) until year 3. So he'll probaly only count 3 or 4 mil against the cap in his first 2 years. Thats LESS than he counted against the cap with US last year, y'all. Depending on how things go the last 3 years, JBs contract can then be restructured or even cut.

Meanwhile, we would have bought up to 3 years to add depth and find his eventual replacement. If we do, JB can now go to RT, which is where many feel is his best position.

Say what you want, but in keeping Bushrod, at least we woulda had a solid player who can hold down the LT spot until we find an upgrade, help maintain continuity along the O line.....and it wouldna cost much to keep him.

I just think we poo pooed on this one! :jpshakehead:

It'll be interesting to see how this all unfolds for us. Im a lil concerned about the LT spot, but we've already been through hell in 2012, so no matter what happens, we WILL move on and be better in 2013!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom