The loss of Roman Harper is really starting to show... (1 Viewer)

jimmac

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
on our defense. Everyone can say that Stoutmire is doing well, but I have to say yes and no. While Stoutmire is filling up the stat sheet with tackles, he is'nt making plays like Harper was. If you have noticed our blitz packages have not been near as effective the last couple of weeks with him out. When we did blitz, Harper did a great job of handling the tight ends, not giving the other qb that outlet forcing him to hold the ball a little longer or throw into traffic, or throw the ball away. the last couple of weeks, L.J. Smith and Todd Heap have really hurt us on some big plays and have scored some touchdowns. Harper did such a great job as the last line of defense I guess you could say, making the other qb hold the ball a little longer and Stoutmire is not doing that.

There have been a lot more plays the last two weeks on passes over the middle that are getting completed for first downs that Harper was there to break up and this also made Bullocks a better player, I don't see him making as many plays because of this also. Just my thoughts.

on our defense. Everyone can say that Stoutmire is doing well, but I have to say yes and no. While Stoutmire is filling up the stat sheet with tackles, he is'nt making plays like Harper was. If you have noticed our blitz packages have not been near as effective the last couple of weeks with him out. When we did blitz, Harper did a great job of handling the tight ends, not giving the other qb that outlet forcing him to hold the ball a little longer or throw into traffic, or throw the ball away. the last couple of weeks, L.J. Smith and Todd Heap have really hurt us on some big plays and have scored some touchdowns. Harper did such a great job as the last line of defense I guess you could say, making the other qb hold the ball a little longer and Stoutmire is not doing that.

There have been a lot more plays the last two weeks on passes over the middle that are getting completed for first downs that Harper was there to break up and this also made Bullocks a better player, I don't see him making as many plays because of this also. Just my thoughts.

i agree 100%!~

Heap and Smith are good TEs. Heap had 75 receptions last year, Smith 61. It's really no surprise they caught some balls against the Saints.

Heap and Smith are good TEs. Heap had 75 receptions last year, Smith 61. It's really no surprise they caught some balls against the Saints.

so is crumpler...

i said this earlier. fact is that Harper was a very cerebral player too. he was probably one of the guys who helped put players into the right position. he is definitely missed out there.

crumpler and winslow both had problems with harper.... i remember harper and winslow were fighting the whole game

crumpler and winslow both had problems with harper.... i remember harper and winslow were fighting the whole game

Windslow had a pretty good game that day. Crumpler would have if he didn't drop 3 passes. Harper wasn't exactly shutting down the TEs. He was still a rookie and shouldn't be expected to, but the Saint defense broke down 4 quarters before Harper's knee went out. Remember when Tampa had ONE WR (Galloway) go out and he was the only eligible receiver and beat everybody? Harper was in there.

Winslow didn't have problems with Harper. Winslow had 8 receptions for 68 yards and TD (he stiff-armed Harper to get into the end zone). Harper was also called for pass interference at least once when he played against Winslow.

Crumpler had 5 receptions for 49 yards but he also dropped a few easy passes even one in the end zone. Both guys were factors even with Harper on the field.

Windslow had a pretty good game that day. Crumpler would have if he didn't drop 3 passes. Harper wasn't exactly shutting down the TEs. He was still a rookie and shouldn't be expected to, but the Saint defense broke down 4 quarters before Harper's knee went out. Remember when Tampa had ONE WR (Galloway) go out and he was the only eligible receiver and beat everybody? Harper was in there.

I agree. Let's not jump to conclusions. The Saints not winning had nothing to do with the Safety position. It was sloppy red zone play and turnovers

on our defense. Everyone can say that Stoutmire is doing well, but I have to say yes and no. While Stoutmire is filling up the stat sheet with tackles, he is'nt making plays like Harper was. ...Just my thoughts.

I think we are over reacting just little bit. This was the first game where nothing really fell our way. In today's NFL the tournaover battle often decides the outcome. It did yesterday evening (afternoon for most of you- I am now 6 hours ahead).

The team is STILL performing well above expectations. pehaps, with the success we have having we have forgotten that fact, or we prematurely raising our expectations. We are playing great ball and we deserve all the praises, however let try to keep this one game into perspective.

I fully expect a more focus team next week. By week 14, this game may be a distant memory.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom