The Lost Symbol (1 Viewer)

Dre

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Dan Brown's newest book. I was a big fan of his other 4, but I thought this one was horrible. The big "disaster" they were trying to avert was stupid, and the twists were obvious (I do not even try to figure out twists, so I usually do not figure them out; but they were so obvious here). Granted I had high expectations, so maybe this book's not living up to those could skew my review; but I honestly think this is a bad book. And while I like shorter chapters, they were ridiculously short in this book, kind of making the entire reading experience too choppy (there were 50 chapters in the first 200 pages). I rate this book 3 out of 10.

I have not read it yet, so I can't comment there. However, I had an itching feeling this book may fall short of the other 4 due to the success he experienced from the Davinci Code. He's got all the pressure on him now that he set his own bar so high. Oh, well. i will still give it a go when I am done with my current series.

Short chapters usually give the impression that you are reading a screenplay - and I have no doubt that he already has a movie deal signed for this book.

I will reserve judgment until I read it, but I've found his earlier stuff to be better than DaVinci code. I don't have high hopes for this one. I'm trying to avoid spending the money on the hardcover.

Short chapters usually give the impression that you are reading a screenplay - and I have no doubt that he already has a movie deal signed for this book.

I will reserve judgment until I read it, but I've found his earlier stuff to be better than DaVinci code. I don't have high hopes for this one. I'm trying to avoid spending the money on the hardcover.

I'm about 1/2 way through it now. It's okay, but so far it isn't as good as his others. But, as with most thrillers, how good it is will depend on how he connects all the plot lines. Still, it's a little more intelligent than the average thriller. FWIW, this is more like Deception Point or Digital Fortress than DaVinci Code or Angels & Demons. But, yeah, it's pretty clear that this book is destined to be a movie. Something about the way it is written and the slightly less depth screams screen play.

But, as with most thrillers, how good it is will depend on how he connects all the plot lines. .

oh just wait. I look forward to your thoughts after you finish.

I've got a hundred pages left to read. IDK I really like it. I've read Deception Point, DaVinci Code, and Angels & Demons, haven't read Digital Fortress. I guess I'll wait until I finish to decide how good it really is though.

Last edited:
I've got a hundred pages left to read. IDK I really like it. I've read Deception Point, DaVinci Code, and Angels & Demons, haven't read Digital Fortress. I guess I'll wait until I finish to decide how good it really is though.

I'm about 1/2 way through, and I'm liking it as well. I've read the same 3 as you and I would compare this to Deception Point the most, but with the "brain candy" of Angels & Demons. Personally, Deception Point was his best book (that I've read), even though he was not as polished back then as he is today. It has tons of "far-fetched" material in it, but I can honestly say that I did not figure it out till the end, and believe me, I really put some thought into trying to. I've actually enjoyed DaVinci Code the least!

My opinion of The Lost Symbol is yet to be determined, but I am really enjoying it so far. I will revisit this thread when I'm done.

I enjoyed it, although it was written like a screenplay. Dan Brown is no literary genius but I find his books entertaining and page turners. The Noetic Science aspect I found pretty interesting.

By the way, movie to be release in 2012.

any more thoughts on this? I just noticed it on my book shelf and I had flashbacks of my prior disappointment in it.

I'm trying to avoid spending the money on the hardcover.

I heard about this place that just lets people borrow books...for free.

I usually wait for paperbacks but if it is one of my favorite authors' new releases and I don't want to wait a year then I just get it from the library. The best thing is that you don't even have to go looking for the books. All you have to do is go online and request which books you want. By the next day the library staff has them pulled and waiting for you at the front desk. You can be in and out in seconds.

I heard about this place that just lets people borrow books...for free.

I usually wait for paperbacks but if it is one of my favorite authors' new releases and I don't want to wait a year then I just get it from the library. The best thing is that you don't even have to go looking for the books. All you have to do is go online and request which books you want. By the next day the library staff has them pulled and waiting for you at the front desk. You can be in and out in seconds.

I even have a library card. :9:

But the crappy branch by my house doesn't get **** for new books.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom