The LSU-Bama Hype Machine (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
CBS has to be chomping at the bit over this year's matchup between LSU & Alabama in primetime on November 3rd! It's obvious at the start of the last few seasons that the network with the rights to the TV broadcast hopes that there is some remaining significance to this game when it's on the slate so that even casual college football viewers will be tuned in to this contest all around the country. And this year they are not disappointed to present this highly anticipated game!

As long as the rankings are there (which hasn't been an issue for Bama in quite a while) it is an easy game to hype. And the added benefit of having both teams schedule a Bye week before the meeting is a built-in advantage to the network. Though highly unlikely, LSU could even move up in the polls prior to the big game if Clemson or Notre Dame takes a tumble. (Though I don't think Florida State or Navy is up to the task.)

If you weren't already fired up for this game, the reaming that LSU received on the Devin White ruling & suspension certainly raises the level of emotions for the Tigers. Even if it ends up making no difference at all, there will be an additional storyline to the pregame hype and may even add a 'what if' element if the game ends as a close loss for LSU.

But fans of this game should be prepared for a huge buildup that has in fact already started. If this game is able to live up to the billing that it will certainly receive, it could be one of historic proportions! Here's to a great game! :9:

I was coming to say it, but you mentioned it. It’s worth repeating that if it is a close game or if it is at least a close 2nd half with White, then there will be a built in excuse for LSU in loss. If we win, but play better with White, then that’ll also raise questions about whether it would’ve been a bigger win. The narrative will be driven by comparisons of the halves.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/alabama-lsu-betting-odds-spread-line-week-10-2018
Will Suspensions Affect This Line?
Alabama is 8-0 against the first half spread this season, and despite continuing to raise the lines, oddsmakers just can’t totally keep up. The Tide have been utterly dominant before the break.
LSU linebacker and leading tackler Devin White will miss the first half against Alabama because of a targeting ejection on Saturday against Mississippi State.
This first-half line might be more than 10, despite Alabama only being -14 for the full game.

Curious what tiger fans think of the spread. 14 point dogs at home at night? :unsure:

14 points is a ridiculous line. I fully expect it to get much tighter as the days pass.

Games at Tiger stadium are generally close, but Bama is something special this year. Tua is a rare talent & the entire team is playing flawlessly. While my heart wants a close game (actually a Tiger victory), I can see Bama running away. That MSU game scared me (LSU offensively). Tigers won't be able to score. Defense will hold its own until they get tired.

Games at Tiger stadium are generally close, but Bama is something special this year. Tua is a rare talent & the entire team is playing flawlessly. While my heart wants a close game (actually a Tiger victory), I can see Bama running away. That MSU game scared me (LSU offensively). Tigers won't be able to score. Defense will hold its own until they get tired.
I know how you feel. It would be great if LSU's defense could keep this a low scoring game. But Tagovailoa is truly a cut above as an offensive general. (I really see him as having some 'Drew Brees' in him.) If LSU plays over their heads on defense I can see them holding the Tide to somewhere around 21 to 24 points. But I really expect a bigger offensive output than that from Bama... maybe to the tune of 14 to 17 more. So giving the Tigers the benefit of the doubt, I'd say that Bama is in for scoring about 31 points. However, since LSU has pretty much been a revolving door on the offensive line with this shuffled young line, it will be hard to score more than 13 points as Borrow's frustration grows throughout the game.

My call is: Bama 31 LSU 13

You heard it here first. :covri:

Who’s announcing? Please don’t say Danielson. Please don’t say Danielson.

Just throwing out a little tidbit here about the LSU-Alabama game on Nov. 3rd...

I was watching some sports program the other day (not sure which since I had been channel surfing) and some brief comments were being made about this upcoming game. In one statement the commentator said, (paraphrasing) "This could easily have been a match of #1 vs #2. Had LSU managed to pull out a win at Florida, the Tigers would certainly have the #2 ranking."

While I think this is a definite possibility, I also think that it would be hard for the pollsters to let the Tigers leapfrog Notre Dame and Clemson.

So, do you think the Florida game was the only thing that keeps us from being ranked second right now? :scratch:

Who’s announcing? Please don’t say Danielson. Please don’t say Danielson.

its CBS bro....

and that dude is a right Hornblower. He will fawn over Bama/Saban all night.

I think we would absolutely be #2. Not because the pollsters thought we were, but because I feel they look forward as much as backwards when making their choices. Seeing Bama on the schedule, creating that #1 vs #2 matchup, and being able to “correct” the issue if we lost or be vindicated if we win makes it a less risky choice.

I think we would absolutely be #2. Not because the pollsters thought we were, but because I feel they look forward as much as backwards when making their choices. Seeing Bama on the schedule, creating that #1 vs #2 matchup, and being able to “correct” the issue if we lost or be vindicated if we win makes it a less risky choice.
Good point.
Besides, I think the best way to raise interests in upcoming games is to bill them as being ranked as high as possible among all the polls. As you mentioned, even if they thought a #2 ranking was too high for the Tigers, after the game they could bust LSU down to whatever ranking they anticipated they would be after having a loss to Bama. It would look good in the ads and promos.

Just throwing out a little tidbit here about the LSU-Alabama game on Nov. 3rd...

I was watching some sports program the other day (not sure which since I had been channel surfing) and some brief comments were being made about this upcoming game. In one statement the commentator said, (paraphrasing) "This could easily have been a match of #1 vs #2. Had LSU managed to pull out a win at Florida, the Tigers would certainly have the #2 ranking."

While I think this is a definite possibility, I also think that it would be hard for the pollsters to let the Tigers leapfrog Notre Dame and Clemson.

So, do you think the Florida game was the only thing that keeps us from being ranked second right now? :scratch:
There is absolutely no doubt that LSU would be #2, and would have a case for #1 if they had beaten Florida, because of their strength of schedule. It is so much higher than any other team in the top 10, and we've won convincingly, so there wouldn't be any justification to be any lower than 2.

Okay... another possible (albeit unlikely) scenario...
#2 Clemson wins both @ Florida State (10/27) and vs Louisville (11/03)
#3 Notre Dame wins both vs Navy (10/27) and @ Northwestern (11/03)
#4 LSU ekes out a win vs #1 Alabama next Saturday

Without anyone wearing their Purple and Gold glasses, who do you say gets the new #1 ranking in the major polls and(or) in the Playoff Committee's seeding?
:scratch:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom